1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CSS 1000FPS 100 Tick test/beta server

Discussion in 'Game Server' started by Rogan, 11 Mar 2010.

1. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

RTV
    RTV
    Votemap
    RTV
    Votemap
    Votemap
    RockTheVote
    Votemap

Less than 30 seconds into ANY map.

Not something that'll ever be put back on.

A set mapcycle where everyone knows what's coming next is the only way to do it, really.

We have used end of map votes in the past but those don't work for a variety of reasons: people press 1 automatically, miss the vote, or vote on horrible maps that clear the server.

ie.

BTW Office is a server clearer. *shhh*

Actually, on a serious note. There's a lot of things that'd be nice to do or have, and the majority of players on the server would use it properly. However there's always going to be a minority of idiots, loud whiny idiots, who ruin things for everyone. And this is why we can't have nice things.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2010
  2. Tuned#Stu

Tuned#Stu Rage Machine

Ah I thought that might be the case!

I shall leave it there then as I have stated my point!

3. kiZaru

kiZaru What's a Dremel?

i'm one of those guys who doesn't like custom maps, maybe im just too reluctant to try the new maps out or can't be bothered to learn where the bomb points are... and I actually enjoy playing Aztec (is this gone?), Dust2 and Office (this gone too?) and all standard maps, i think RTV would be abused, but there's definitely nothing wrong with the current setup... last night was pretty busy on the server up until 1am or so on a weekday considering people needed to work on the friday - usually it's dead by about 11pm.. so something's going right...

4. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Server population ebbs and flows quite a lot. There's been a significant drop off after the server was spiking heavily, and a lot of people who I'd normally see playing CS have been playing BC2 recently.

Contrary to general opinion the overall player count hasn't got a lot to do with the mapcycle. I mean the way people talk about assault you'd think it was the only map on there. *shrug*

Another thing is all the ways you could rearrange and order the mapcycle matter to some extent, but really the only thing you can do is try not to have two similar maps next to each other and try to have one popular map followed by an unpopular one followed by a popular one.

Getting fancy and putting maps that are similar next to each other causes a kind of fatigue. No one wants to play aztec, dust2, tides, office and italy sequentially because really they're all the same thing in different guises.

Really, when you get down to it it's not really the maps that are at fault, it's base skill level and people's unwillingness to learn to play maps which may be slightly more complex than run to your favoured chokepoint and camp.

de_piranesi is a perfect example of this. Years ago it was a massively unpopular map. Now I'd consider it one of the more popular. People just learned to play it.

Assault bugs me because I know it can be played at high playercounts. But the thing about CPC regs is they'd rather bitch and moan than adapt to the situation. I blame removal of AWPs for this, but there you go. We used to play it 28 players, and it was good. One guy used to pick terro every time and camp the entire game in the vent. Do that on CPC and there'd be serious anguish because no one can adapt.

LOL GUISE LETZ UZZE TACTIKS. I THRO SMOKE IN BIG ENTRANCE AND ALL RUN IN KAY.

Cue everyone running into a room full of smoke and getting slaughtered.

You have to pick them off first people. Halve their numbers and then you rush, and when you rush don't all go in one entrance. And certainly don't blind your bloody selves.

Really it should be assault 24/7

The one serious problem that I'll acknowledge is that every time the server reboots, which it does frequently, it returns to dust2. Since the server gets populated at about the same time every day you always see the same maps at the same times. If you tend to come on at 10 and play till 11 you'll play the same three maps almost every day. Without being able to have separate cycles for separate days there's not really a lot that can be done about that.

5. Hayze

Hayze Wo|F Like Me

I know it's not aimed at me and i wasn't completely serious about the AWP 1 per team. But in my experience there are more, (atleast slightly good servers) that ban AWP than those that allow it. And to do with the maps, like Dust, I for one don't rush, firstly because never ever on that server could i muster most the team to rush as well, and secondly, if i do i will end up spending the next 3 minutes humming to Jamie T for each round.
    Not sure if all that made sense grammatically but you get the point.

6. Tuned#F_A_F

Tuned#F_A_F What's a Dremel?

It's so hard to measure, but as much as I love AWPs (4th fave gun I guess) they can be server wreckers. It's a universal truth that players should learn how to deal with AWPs as much as they should learn how to shoot them, but we have to remember that's not what CPC is here for. CPC is a fun server, we try to play tactics and laugh as they fail. We slate each other on voice and take the mick.

Adding an AWP to a server is like holding a stock car rally, then a tank turns up. It'd be funny and cool for about 5 minutes, then most people would get annoyed at getting toasted on every corner. AWPs don't lend themselves well to fun servers, it takes the game from shades of grey to black and white "dead or alive" shootouts. It doesn't leave any room for mistakes, it's too cut and dried. And that would deter twice as many people as it would attract.

7. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

I love AWP and Auto Snipers. Love them. Back before they changed the recoil on the auto snipers I used to use autos in preference to every gun. Always funny to headshot a group of people one after the other and provoke the WTF response.

Anyway, my point is I'd like them on, and they aren't on. They aren't going to be on that server, they just aren't. Even one per side is too much, so anyone that was any good with them would have to be blocked.

e: Just spent most of the afternoon talking to MPUK trying to get restrictions working. No dice as yet. Might happen over the weekend, dunno.

8. Hayze

Hayze Wo|F Like Me

"Another thing is all the ways you could rearrange and order the mapcycle matter to some extent, but really the only thing you can do is try not to have two similar maps next to each other and try to have one popular map followed by an unpopular one followed by a popular one."

And what you said about D2 always being first:
    First, I think D2 first map is bad idea, server doesn't need filling and emptying like that (when map ends)
    Second is it possible to have certain maps last a certain time? D2 last like 5 minutes on CPC

Oh and Office?! A server killer?! How dare you slander that wonderful map's name! :D
    I think Office works great, no spot is ever properly safe, stopping typical, rush denying camps. Also both teams can do a rush so those "everyone rush garage" people can get their thrills.

9. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Office is the map where if it comes on at about 11 people suddenly decide it's time for bed. :p

I could probably push assault a few maps up in the cycle tbh.

10. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

i quite fancy a game of glassfloor now lol

11. Hayze

Hayze Wo|F Like Me

Glassfloor makes me cringe -.-', especially when admins (different server) say not to shoot the glass. :duh::blah:
    (Office) that's only because that's the time-ish they would come off, and they are most likely gonna leave at the end of a map, and Office happens to be that map, have it earlier in the list IMO and it will sell.

12. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

It's also one of those maps that people vote on and then leave straight away. :p

13. Hayze

Hayze Wo|F Like Me

Well.. :p where's that experience? As you said only time votes were on server it was abused! ha! ;D

14. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

They're updating sourcemod tonight, which means tomorrow we might have a working restriction plugin. :eek:

Maybe.

15. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

*crosses fingers*

16. Hayze

Hayze Wo|F Like Me

Sourcemod?

17. Rat1sully

Rat1sully At Least Skt478 Never Broke

excellent, progress at least

sourcemod is the plugin between the server and all other mods ie mani zblock etc etc.

server>sourcemod>(all mods and plugins)

18. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Pretty much. Sourcemod is more of a tailored admin mod, basically a replacement for mani.

Essentially it works like mani for end users. With mani the server loads a lot of useless crap like stats and subsequently disables them via a config file. With sourcemod you pick and choose what you need for the server and add the plugins individually. It's better in general for both performance and config.

As far as I understand, it's a system similar to java. Sourcemod can be compiled to work on a particular system, and then any plugin compiled for sourcemod should work with it.

The approved plugin list should give you an idea of what it does.

19. Hayze

Hayze Wo|F Like Me

Oh okay, so in general a lot better than Mani. Is Mani not source game specific then?

20. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

mani is pretty generic really, but mainly aimed at css and tf2