1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development css issues with IE

Discussion in 'Software' started by brighty22, 15 May 2011.

1. brighty22

brighty22 What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    I'm designing a small site for my school intranet where science teachers can reserve equipment/apparatus etc. but have hit a small compatibility snag. There is a menu along the top of every page, which displays perfectly in chrome and firefox, but (predictably) not IE. The idea is you can hover over a button, and a submenu fades downwards displaying more links. When you do this in IE8, the entire menu bar is moved downwards the height of the submenu, leaving a gap at the top of the page. I got the script for it from dynamic drive, here.

This is how the submenus should appear in IE (with the original css file from dynamic drive).

This is what they actually do in IE (with my css file).

The only thing that changes in the above two links is the css file used :wallbash:

What am I doing wrong?! :duh:

(If it helps, please feel free to download all the files - I uploaded a zip which can be found here, or you can view the directory here.)

2. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

IE not playing nice? :O! Shock!

You are probably making this harder on yourself than you need to. Simplify it, IE will screw up less that way.
    "Keep it simple, Stupid!". Useful principle, not an insult ;)
    Fading menus are not going to improve your intranet site one iota, I promise.

Don't get me wrong, it is probably fixable, but is it worth the time? If you must, a simple CSS hover menu should do fine, IMHO.

3. brighty22

hmm. thanks phoenix. I tried messing around with it; normally I only use css for simple classes - I don't know anything about IE css 'hacks' etc..

Anyway I just tried it out on a school pc.. with IE8... and there were no issues. I give up :rolleyes:

4. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

As you've hardly made any chances to the CSS just start again with the original and make one small change at a time, being very very careful to not delete anything.

Don't try and fix it if rebuilding it is quicker!

5. Hawkest

Hawkest I got some 4GB new RAM

You can embed firebug into ur webpage for use in IE, this will help with troublshooting!

Check out firebug's website for the how!

6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

The menu looks fine to me using your CSS file in IE6 (It is just EXPANDED instead of COLLAPSED)

You can change that if you really want to :)

7. brighty22

Fixed :clap:

Went through the original and mine side by side. To simplify things, I had removed the class that controlled the shadow.. which confused IE (for whatever reason) :duh:

Thanks for all the advice :)