1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cubid Itx Entertainment PC [FINISHED: 1st Feb 04]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by andrew, 11 Oct 2003.

1. Twernmilt

Twernmilt New Member

I acctually do like the color...but for a HTPC? i hope you have a gamecube as backup or your other HT equipment will mock it.

2. andrew

andrew New Member

I told it, there is nothing wrong with lilac :hehe: It's inside what counts

3. Solarius

Solarius New Member

Heh, definitely not enough room. Does that have video in though? Or is this going to just be for watching DVD's / Net surfing on your TV?

4. andrew

andrew New Member

yep I don't need video in, this is just for dvd, mp3, radio etc, and will replace my video recorder, big radio thingy.

Although I think I should get some 5.1 speakers and a new tv to enjoy this to the fullest.

5. myke

myke New Member

I have my epia 800 running with just the Zalman Northbridge cooler. First used it for a HTPC am now using it for a sat internet server on 24 hours, doesn't even break a sweat with no fan!...

Noticed you first had a picture of a deathstar hdd then changed it is this because the deathstar "whines" and is really annoying for a htpc, i know i tried using one and had to resort to a compact flash card instead... Is the other drive any quieter?

6. andrew

andrew New Member

No I put the pictures the wrong way around. The second pic is just of a 2gig I used to get the size. But it does whine. and click etc

7. best49erfan

best49erfan New Member

looks really good so far! What CF LCD display is that? I have one a CFA634-NFA-KU. I love it, but I wish I got one with a backlit display.

8. andrew

andrew New Member

its a skd162-632-sg-lg it actually came in a pc mods external enclosure, but I justed pulled it out.

9. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n New Member

Very cool man. I think im gonna try that with my broken DVD player. :D Thanks for the idea.

10. myke

myke New Member

Like the colour! What are you gonna do with the front of the case? Plexi?

11. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Mee tooooo :rock:

12. andrew

andrew New Member

thanks for the comments guys, and myke yep it will be plexi.

13. myke

myke New Member

Ahh just reread the thread where you said the front would be plexi and you would paint it.

Are you going to paint the back of the plexi instead of the front and mask an area for the lcd at the back? I think this would look good especially if you could bevel the edges!

Just noticed that the lcd sticks out of the front. Perhaps two layers of plexi with the lcd cut into the rear one?

It's gonna look good....

14. andrew

andrew New Member

Well, the progress had slowed to a complete halt, due to lack of money <£1 :lol: (I resigned from my job)

So I need to find a glue gun, to fix on the front. Make some contraception to hold the lcd, and solder on a molex. Then it will be finished.

So this week I have finally got the case to fit together with 5 minutes of work. It wouldn't slide on because the hdd brackets got in the way, but I simply used a pair of pliers to repeatedly bend, thus break one side of the clip things. (I'll have to get a picture)

15. HACKSTAR

HACKSTAR New Member

Keep going mate, you have inspired me to dig out all ITX stuff that I was gonna stick in a mappers box, I like your cubid idea though

16. andrew

andrew New Member

Holy thread revival.

I never did get around to finishing this, and it had just been sat in my room, gathering dust, and I did contemplate selling for parts. But then I had a feeling that I should finish it.

I got the lcd wired up, and the fan, but it wouldn't power up because I was pulling too much wattage, so at the moment I have lost both of them (lcd+fan). But I found the original front. And I poped that in place, sorted some wires.

And it is running. :rock:

But my biggest oversight is the fact that this doesn't have a modem, so I will have to buy an external one. I am keeping the lcd and usb radio for a future project (keep this simple) but I do intend to fit some lighting inside this case.

[​IMG]

Ok ratings out of 10 please.