1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Cubitek Magic Cube meets Lian Li HDD cage

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Hasle, 21 Oct 2011.

1. Hasle

Hasle nohasslemods›

Hey fellas. Built a new system for my sis yesterday, and had a spare Cubitek Magic Cube case from a previous project. The main case is rather small, and normally comes with two additional modules, one for optical drives, and one for harddrives. Reckoned this would be a rather messy and impractical setup, so I wanted to mount the harddrives in the main case.

So I got a hold of one of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed the bottom bit and chucked off a smaller section of the cage to make room for the front fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted with black pop-rivets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's about it. Thought it might be useful for someone. I haven't got any pictures of the finished system with the harddrives in place, but I'll shoot a few when I get home. :)

2. Earthmonger

Earthmonger Gnarled Old Tree

I'm actually doing a build in the Magic Cube now. I have flipped the case over, rotated all panels, and cut a window, so it's now an inverted right-side case. It's watercooled, but the rad (Mo-Ra 2 Pro) is external. I had to make a couple of brackets to offload some of the PSU's weight (top-mounted).

That said, the next time I build with it, it's going completely internal, so I can get rid of the other two cubes. I thought about HDD mounting a bit, but now we have the hybrid SSD's showing up, in 1TB flavors, so I don't think I'll bother with HDDs at all. I can get a 240 rad in the bottom, and a 280 in the front. That's enough for CPU and a single powerful GPU. I can also mount a slim slot-in optical drive, literally behind the mobo tray, facing the rear of the case.

I love how every panel in these cases can be flipped. Even the I/O panel can be top or bottom.

3. Device Unknown

Device Unknown What's a Dremel?

well don't hold out on us man, show it to us :)

4. Earthmonger

Earthmonger Gnarled Old Tree

The build is not complete. Progress slowed to a standstill when my wife & kid returned home from their visit with family. You can view an impromptu log here. Just keep in mind that those photos were taken with my phone during the lonely days in their absence. I haven't taken any shots since then. The hardware is all installed, but there's much wiring yet to be done. I've also decided to replace my *cough* pump brackets with clear acrylic.

Edit: Couple pics from just now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Oct 2011