1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Cubitek XL-Tank

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by azrael-, 3 Apr 2011.

1. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Some of you may know, that I've been on the lookout for a new case to replace my aging Lian-Li PC-61 for quite some time now.

I also routinely trawl Lian-Li's site checking for new and interesting cases, which I then usually end up creating a thread about here in this forum. Needless to say I still haven't quite found what I'm looking for, although I've come close a couple of times. I believe I may have come really close now.

A short while ago I became aware of a company called Cubitek and their new line of cases called "Magic Cube". I believe there's a thread elsewhere in this forum about this line although that's not how I became aware of it. And it's not that line that caught my eye either.

While perusing Cubitek's site I noticed another case called the "Mini Tank". At first glance it seemed to be something mATX-based, so not really for me, but a closer look revealed that there're actually 3 cases in the "Tank" series. Of those the socalled "XL-Tank" immediately peaked my interest.

The "XL-Tank" seems to draw heavily on the design aesthetics of Lian-Li, combined with much more room than is usually available in Lian-Li cases of this size.

It's got 4 fans. A 23 cm front intake fan (with dust filter), a rear 14 cm exhaust fan and 2 exhaust fans on top, also 14 cm. It's slightly wider and longer (23 cm and 52.5 cm) than an equivalent Lian-Li case (usually 22 cm and 49 cm) and, like previously stated, internal room to spare as it can hold a 31 cm long graphics card.

I've found a first review of the case over at Pure Overclock, and it sounds quite promising. And the case itself is available from CaseKing in Germany for 150€. I'm very tempted, but also hesitant. Wouldn't want to buy a dud, however well it may look or sound, and I don't expect anyone here has any experience with this case.

Below are a couple of images. There are a lot more images on Cubitek's own site and also a couple more at CaseKing as well as a presentation video (in German).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Hello, the tank htpc is a fantastic alternative to the Lian li pc80r for instance costing around half!

Case quality is very reasonable and would suit nicely for many people's needs.

If your looking for the go ahead before you purchase then here is one from me!

It's nice, it's light, it's built very well although it could be a little better and the finish is fantastic!

:)

azrael- likes this.
  3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Thanks! Very much appreciated! :thumb:

I should perhaps say that I'm currently (mostly) looking at the PC-9F, the PC-B25F and to some extent the PC-P50 and the PC-V1020. All from Lian-Li, of course. :)

4. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

The main thing I'd like to know about it is this:

In some of Cubitek's pictures, the front 230mm fan cutout has space and pre-drilled holes for two 120 or 140mm fans (not sure which), but no mention is made in the specs, and the review samples I've seen don't have those. However, the only review samples I've seen were before release, so maybe they were pre-release.

Andrew, can you shed any light on this (seeing as OCUK have them in stock)?

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I was just wondering... Since you have a version of the "Tank" is there anything you can say regarding noise levels? Especially concerning vibration noise from e.g. the side panels. Cubitek are stating that the Tank series is built using "aluminium 5052". I've no idea if that's some sort of extra-strong/thick aluminium, which may cut down on that type of noise.

6. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Before you get too excited, he works for a shop, who happens to sell Cubitek cases. So while he'll have seen them first hand, Andy's probably not got any great experience of a running system in one. Obviously I'm guessing that he hasn't, but it seems likely.

7. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Its something I shall have alook into at some point either tues or wed. :)

I couldnt tell you what noise levels are like as I have only had a look over the case minus a system. Sorry about that.

Indeed you are correct. Quality is good, all seems very good value but as for vibrations and noise I couldnt comment. I shall drop caseking a message to see if anyone there has had any experience with them.