1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Custom and high performance Flashlights

Discussion in 'General' started by Unicorn, 9 Jul 2009.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I have a direct driven Seoul SSC P7 Maglite - it runs off 3xD cells in a black 3D Mag host, on top of a custom aluminium heatsink which was manufactured by a member on CPF. I'm not sure what the output is, but it's at least as bright as my Olight M20 Warrior, which has 260 OTF lumens. It sits at the bottom of a camless aluminium orange peel reflector and shines through a glass borofloat lens. Alltogether it probably cost about £50 to build, but it's one of the brightest lights I own, has one of the longest runtimes (only one that burns longer is my 3D Malkoff powered Mag, which is regulated) and doubles as a baton :p

Nice :eeek: What emitters are you using in that mate?

The LD20 is a nice little light, one of the ones I was sad to let go. But I replaced it with a Nitecore D20 which I've been happy with so far. What's the trailing momentary switch you mentioned on the Surefire? It sounds a bit like my C2 Centurion but I don't know what a trailing momentary is.

2. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

3. Unicorn

Oh, I get it! :duh: I've never heard a remote pressure switch being called a trailing switch before, sorry for the noob moment! :blush:

4. Unicorn

Bump for summer 2012 updates in the OP! :thumb: I promised pics ages ago and never got around to uploading them, but I promise to have them up soon!

5. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

I totally and utterly forgot about this thread!

I am using Cree XM-L's, in 2S2P, with the ability to switch between 2 or 4 emitters, and a 5 stage current table. Easily done with a DPDT switch, and the TaskLED driver. Power source is a 3S3P 18650 pack, worn on the waist. 2 emitters are bare for spill, 2 will be mounted in reflectors.

Still little bits and bobs to tweak and finish off, but I'll post pictures when I get it sorted... I'm still waiting for Ledil reflectors (9.5 degrees) from a supplier.

The previous incarnation is here...
    https://secure.flickr.com/photos/new_stuff/6247926700/in/set-72157625277685067/

A single XM-L. Works great for any small-middling mine with non-huge chambers.

6. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

impressie:)

my list is

mag 3c moded with led

mini mag which the mrs recently broke

mag solitare

mag 4d modded by some guy of cpf has high lumens out put and came with warning that it will blind peeps looking into it. possibly blinded 2 theifing scumbags last year with it!

lenser hocus focus - dunno why peeps hate lenser nice build quality survied a drop from a 5th floor balcony.

also im after a pocket litle like the mini mag or smaller but has to be as powerful as possible any one wana give me some pointers please?

7. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

I like LED Lenser stuff well enough. My backup light, permanently mounted on my Lid is a T7. Given it's nature, a backup *has* to be 100% reliable. It's survived a 100ft drop into 4 ft of water, and as it was still lit, I abseiled down and retrieved it. It looks awful now, but is still rock solid.

8. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

Just bought my first decent torch, a Fenix LD20-R5. Arrived yesterday but I wasn't in so I'll be nipping to the post office after work to collect it.

9. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

If by 'mini mag', you mean something that takes 2x AA cells, there are plenty of options.

EagleTac do a few with XM-Ls in, like the D25A2, or the P20A2 mkII, or there's Sunwayman's M20A, to pick just one.

Or how about something by Klarus?

10. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Wow those look perfect

11. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Currently own a LED Lenser 'Police' 7438 torch which is working quite well, but considering upgrading it soon if I get a new job.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenser-Poli...CP6W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1351769676&sr=8-3

One feature I cannot live without is a focus ring, and I need something that can pick out door numbers from a hundred feet away (do a lot of driving/deliveries at night) without saturating the entire house with light and pissing everyone off.

Any recommendations in the ~£50 price range, new job dependant may go up to £80.

12. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Are we still asking for advice in here for people who can't possibly even think about navigating CPF?

I need a new light!!

13. Unicorn

Absolutely! I know, CPF is not the best laid out forum in the world, and is also huge! I'll give as much advice as possible :)

On a related note, I got a couple of requests for flashlight advice via PM last week and haven't replied to them yet - I'll do that this afternoon when I'm back at my desk!

14. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Current have (in order of purchase and effectiveness):
    Mag 3D (LED converted myself in 2007 after owning for a few years!)
    Fenix E05 (epic)
    Nitecore Defender Infinity (great light for most purposes)

I want something to take to the Alps this winter and for all purpose use (doing a season and driving there). As the tech has seemingly moved on since the NDI, I've been suggested an MT2A from Nitecore as having loads more light, for not a lot more size and easy AA again.

Is CR123 a better solution for long term storage and power? I'll be keeping the NDI whichever way coz it's too good. Also wanna get a Nitecore headband and may use the NDI exclusively with that as a hands-free lamp.

No more than £50 and that's the outside really. The £35 of the MT2A seems bloody good for the output and the build on my NDI seems reassuring enough. But was thinking about a CR123 alternative. Also, what about Fenix (or anybody else in that price bracket)

THANKS! :thumb:

15. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Cheers dude.

I think that they've all come from the cycle forum. :D

16. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Looking to replace an LED Lenser Police tech myself, budget circa £50 (for the right flashlight I could go a little higher but cheaper is preferable) - I don't mind if it's powered AAA cells AA cells, C cells or D cells as I have good rechargeable versions of all of the above or 18360 cells (as long as it comes supplied with the cells and a half decent charger) - must be a significant upgrade to the police tech so over 200 lumens.

Weight not an issue as will be for walking the dog during the winter months (the police tech will be retired to the car where I have an inverter and a spare AAA battery charger so it can always be kept charged and ready to go), I have no issue with ebay/deal extreme - just want the best bang for my bucks and something that will last for a good few years before being upgraded to something better.

All advice gratefully received :D

17. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Take a nosey at the Fenix LD20 or LD21.

I have an older model LD20, it runs on 2x AA and puts out a perfectly adequate light. They do a few others as well which are around the price you are looking at

18. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

I got a little something the other day -

[​IMG]
    A Xeno Cube v7 with a Nichia 219...

19. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Flash light nerds assemble!

So im in the market for a new flash light.
    I really like the LED Lenser stuff, there build quality is second to none, but my P7 got nicked last year :(

Looking at going one model up and there new revised/updated version, P14.2

Cheapest I found it is £46 on ebay, new.

I know there are some flash light nerds on here, so is there anything else I should consider?

Must have belt pouch, be dark in colour, be powerful and made to last.
    Budget is around £50, but if its worth it, could be temped to go a little higher.

20. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Fenix TK22 if you can go that high. Personally I would stay away from flash lights with AA batteries,