1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Case "AlumiCube"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by th3madc0w, 21 Mar 2004.

1. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n New Member

Man o man got enough fans? :hehe: That thing is bound to have good cooling. I cant wait to see you get started on this.

2. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I'm sorry.
    Here's some pizza
    [​IMG]

3. th3madc0w

th3madc0w New Member

Mmmm... Pizza I have decided to put a beveled tinted plexi piece over the lcd that will also hold the power and ide activity lights, will start makin it tomorrow. it will look like this:
    [​IMG]
    Also, i can't decide what color to make this case, it will either be powdercoated, or possibly anodized.suggestions are welcome.

4. SoulkeepHL

SoulkeepHL New Member

Annodize it! or just leave it bare alu. Mmmmm, aluminium :D. And I like the flush window idea, and might i say DAMN, 1/8th alu plating for the sides?

5. th3madc0w

th3madc0w New Member

Heres how it will look on the case:
    [​IMG]

6. -SilentNight-

-SilentNight- Hardcore pro gamer

too much holes too much noise... just put to mb side just 2 12cm fans and other side 1

7. th3madc0w

th3madc0w New Member

I like the amount of fans i am using here( thats why i put them there), and here is why: 1, I want balanced flow, ie, for every fan in, i want one out, then there is neither positive pressure nor negative pressure. 2, Air will flow over my drives, but not be pulled through them,so ther should be no dirt or dust inside my drives at all. And 3, with no case pressure, the fans will not have any load on them(a load on a fan makes it louder), and 6 17 db fans will not be loud at all ( how many of us have had cases with 6 or more 80 mm 29 db fans?), and they will be on a temperature monitoring controller so they will be almost silent at idle.

8. RaptorLord

RaptorLord New Member

I thought there was a benefit to having positive pressure - less dust getting in...

9. th3madc0w

th3madc0w New Member

with positive pressure , the fans are pushing air out of every hol in your case, and unless your fans are filtered, the dust will get pushed through your case from the inside out, with negative pressure, air is being pulled in through every crack(cd tray, io plate, etc.) either way, dust is going through your drives, but with even flow, i should be able to minimize this effect, and hopefully i will have enough airflow that whatever dust comes in should be blown straight out the back with no time to settle, and keeping my case clean.

10. th3madc0w

th3madc0w New Member

I have decided to use a touch circuit for my power swith(with the qt110 ic).anyone who has used these, what size cap should i use to set the sensitivity so i actually have to touch it, not just get close?

11. th3madc0w

th3madc0w New Member

I have noticed there are alot of you on these forums who are good at coming up with logos, I need a good looking one to etch in my side panel, i want it to be an AL3 , with the 3 raised like for cubed, set inside a square like this..

______
    | |
    | AL3 |
    |____|

12. Caso

Caso New Member

u think i can steal ur ideas for my next projekt? :worried:

i really wanna have a case like urs

any ways, how big is it going to be? ??*??*??

PS: u think i can barow ur SKP files? :blush:

Last edited: 23 Mar 2004
  13. th3madc0w

th3madc0w New Member

Read the first line of the first post., and as for using my ideas, give me an e-mail link and i'll send you the sketchup, but if i ever see u at a lan, and u tell me u came up with it, i'll be pissed

14. th3madc0w

th3madc0w New Member

ok, the piece that seperates the two halves of the computer looked a little boring, so after a little autocad goodness, here is what it will look like from the drive bay side of the case, all the black areas wiull be cut out, and the tall rectangular hole is for cable pass-through.
    [​IMG]

15. th3madc0w

th3madc0w New Member

Also all the aluminum will be in tomorrow, and will be cut into rough squares with the plasma cutter, and (should) be ready for the cnc on thurs. :rock:

16. th3madc0w

th3madc0w New Member

Ok, well i got the lcd trim panel made last night , and today i'm gonna take it to the silkscreeners and have the labels for power and hdd activity made, here are some shots of it so far:

Here i cut out the rough shape with the band saw:
    [​IMG]
    Then i beveled the edges with the router table, and painted the back :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hopefully i will get the alu to the cnc today. Is anybody interested in pics of the pieces being cut? If so, i will take the cam along.

17. th3madc0w

th3madc0w New Member

18. poonta

poonta New Member

Great case " subscribes"

19. dirtbiker

dirtbiker New Member

Yeah, i'd be intrested to see what sort of stuff they're using.

Love the concept, and the perspex looks espescially good. :thumb:

20. th3madc0w

th3madc0w New Member

picked up the alu today:
    [​IMG]
    7 sheets 15" x 15", ready for the cnc.