1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Custom Cpu block

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bad_cancer, 14 May 2009.

1. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle What's a Dremel?

I have one of those alphacool xp blocks I got in a job-lot of watercooling bits a few years back - glad I never fitted it! Bad design with an overly restrictive copper grid and the silly right angle going to the impingement holes in the plastic top, presumably to allow space for compression barbs.

I use the XSPC Edge atm - great block with lots of 0.3mm thick, 3mm deep, sandblasted fins (around 60 iirc), so lots of surface area and very little restriction. Just a shame they don't make it any more.

@Bad_cancer - Imo a finned block is the way to go, especially if you know someone with a slot cutter to make very narrow channels..

2. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

If you guys are going hijack with posts that are this instructive, i am allowing all hijacks of this nature as from now! lol
    Seriously you shouldn't say sorry cause this is very useful. thanks

Hmmm, i get what the baffles do, but i don't know what my friends smallest bit is, so i may not be able to get such thin fins from his machine.

Lol i guess i am going to totally take advantage of my friend after all.

3. Bad_cancer

I just checked out the XSPC edge :

[​IMG]

It looks a lot like jrs77's design.
    This is definitely the way to go then but it all depends on my friend's machine.

will it make a big difference if the slots are thicker with more space between them? im guessing that it won't be as effective, is it still worth going for this design if i cant get the fins a thin as this?

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

If your friend can manage to do them fins 1mm wide, with 1mm spacing inbetween then this should be sufficient enough allready.

This is a middle of good flow vs. large surface and 1mm should be pretty much doable with a CNC.

One other thing you should notice is, that the copper isn't any thicker then 3mm between the CPU and the water. In my sketch you see the contact-area that goes on the CPu standing out a little bit, that's also 1mm. The fins are 2mm high, so you get the picture.

EDIT: yeah, that XSPC-block looks absolutely thought through there.

5. Monkey Puzzle

6. Bad_cancer

Very interesting ideas this guy has.

Well i just checked with my buddy and he does have a 1.5mm bit but its for plastics, the smallest metal bit he has is 3mm. so the smallest gap possible between the fins is just that 3mm.

Hmm should i still go ahead with the buffered design? or just have a completely opened top, no buffers and a couple of big fins to help cooling?

7. Bad_cancer

Hi again, well thanks for everything guys, i have it figured out now, so im going to go for an unbuffered design, high flow and ill be using rubber sheet to seal the block.

Now although it is better to force the water over the fins, i have something planned for this loop that will make it irelevant. :naughty:

And i got my 3D software working again:clap:, so here are a couple of renders of the final design, thanks again to everyone who helped me out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:edit:
    Oh and i came across this blue color by accident and it looks real good.
    i know im not going to get that color acrylic here so does anyone have any suggestions on how to get transparent acrylic this color?

mvagusta likes this.
  8. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

That looks like a glass shader. You can probably get acrylic that colour, but the refractive index will be different so it won't look the same:(

9. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

What program you using for that. It looks amazing.

As for what you have planned in your loop. Super powerful waterpump?

10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Looks good :thumb:

And don't worry about the fins etc too much, if you're not opting for overclocking your CPU then this will do fine with stock components in the loop.

11. Bad_cancer

@ Tangster : Welcome to bit-tech!
    Yes i know i was kinda tired and i messed up the refractive index, and i do realize that it wont look the same.
    I don't know if i can find acrylic that color in my country, ill look into it, but its probably a dead end.

@ talladega: Thanks :D. I use 3Ds max 8 with a vray shader, but like tangster said i kinda messed up the plastic material.
    Im still in the planning stages with my el cheapo case, but its not a powerful pump, let's just say that im going to help the radiator along a lot, but i have to investigate if i can make it work.

@jrs77 : Thanks a lot for your help! I will be overclocking, but like i said to talladega, i will be helping the radiator along a lot if i can get the idea to work. :D

I know im being a tease, but i don't want to get peoples hopes up and then find out it doesn't work. :worried:

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Check out Perspex's color selection. They might have something similar. Whether you can get it sent to you is another question...

13. Monkey Puzzle

Something like light tinted acrylic would probably look similar to the plastic in the render you posted, though (in the UK at least) I haven't seen anyone sell sheets of it above around 5-6mm thickness. :(

14. Bad_cancer

Well the top block is 10mm thickness.
    But i wont be getting any blue sheets, my friend confirmed that he doesn't have any, and i cant seem to find any in that thickness here other than a full sized sheet, so it will have to be transparent. but it will still look hot though :D

15. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

I looked at that at first and didnt know it wasn't real. It looks like a pro photo!

I have 3dmax 2.5, oh how I would love to have a chance to play with modern 3d software again.

Looking at a bunch of lines in TurboCad makes everything look so dull, I could really get excited about something if I could render it like that. WELL DONE :D

-EVRE-

16. Bad_cancer

Why thank you.
    You really are missing out with 3dsmax 2.

If you are looking for some cheap modern 3dsoftware, you can try google sketchup which has an easy learning curve and you can also get plugins for it that can achieve a fairly realistic render, but I don’t know if the plugins are cheap or not.

Also you can try Blender which is completely free but has a much steeper learning curve.
    It’s almost as good as 3dsmax and is open source. I don’t use it because I’d have to relearn everything.

hope that helps! :)

17. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

just curious.. it relates to my recent post about mounting holes for an AM2 CPU.

yours looks like an I-7?

how did you source the exact dimensions for the mounting holes?
    Happen to know the spacing for an AM2 socket? I'm looking for a rudimentary diagram.

I'm taking a look into Blender, and I'm going to take another look at Sketchup.

* just an idea for your block, what if the lines were to:

O ~~~~~
    ~~~~~
    ~~~~~ O

ok.. bad ASCII example.. basically, what if the bars were wavy?

Last edited: 27 May 2009
  18. Bad_cancer

No its not for an i7 its for a lga775 socket, i sourced the dimensions off the intel site actually, they have extremely detailled spec sheets (free for download) for allowing third parties to make coolers for their processors. there was so much data on the sheets that it took me quite a while to find the dimensions i was looking for lol. try looking for specification sheets on AMD's site, they must have them.

Well from what i understand, making wavy bars would not be an added benefit for my design, because the surface area in contact with the water is the same. There would be more turbulence, but im not sure if that would make a great impact.

If the man Jrs77 is watching, im sure he could answer your question, he knows an awful lot about waterblocks. :rock:

and also its too late, i sent it off to be cut, im hoping to get it by middle next week.

extensive leak tests will follow. :dremel:

:edit: you could look up dimensions on existing waterblocks on manufacturer websites, they may have them, swiftech does.

19. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

20. Bad_cancer

hi, I have a question, the barb off my pump is 10mm which is 3/8.
    Can i take a 3/8 tube off the pump, then through an adapter to make it 1/2 for the rest of the loop?

Its a submerged pump so it is going in the res.

The incoming water is just dumped into the res so the tube size does not matter.

The only 3/8 part of the loop would be the tube coming from the pump and going to the fitting on top of the res.

Thanks in advance.