1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

custom distro plate suggestions/help needed

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by monkey562, 10 Jun 2020.

1. monkey562

monkey562 What's a Dremel?

Hi all. Following bit-techs youtube tutorial on how to make a custom distro plate with Fusion 360 i finally finished my first approach creating my very first distro plate for my InWin 925 chassis.
    However since i have zero experience i'd like you guys to take a look and give me any advice/suggestion before i give the blueprint to the manufacturer.

So here is what bugs me:
    How much space between the screws should i consider to have a tight sealing?
    My goal is to avoid unnecessary screws.

PS: Dimensions: 140x320x41 (the reservoir is hidden within the crossed slots).

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

So, you have to calculate the force applied to the seal along the distance between each screw and then make sure that that force is enough to meet the compression of the seal, Its a MASSIVE PITA to do, but not impossible. Personally I use flat gaskets rather than orings as you get a much larger area so you're much more likely to get a good seal without the horrible maths. You could just use glue or liquid sealant...

3. monkey562

Thanks for your reply, Bloody_Pete. I think calculating it with math would be an overkill. But yeah i know where it is comming from.
    I also thought about using flat gaskets, however i would run into space issues sealing the slots around the D5 pumps (impeller/outlet port). Well more or less.
    Now thinking about it. My slots for the o-rings are 2mm wide so i was about to use 2mm o-ring. It shouldnt be a big problem using 2.5mm o-rings instead to have some tighter seal.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If memory serves there's a compression ratio for orings, I can't remember how much it is, would probably be worth having a google. remember to make it wider than the diameter of the oring itherwuise it'll get pinched. For a 2.5mm diameter you'll want a 3mm channel I think :)

monkey562 likes this.
  5. monkey562

True that! I just googled and the compression rate for nitril o-rings is at 80% before the o-ring loses its ability to seal.
    An o-ring slot with 2mm width and 1.2mm depth should be pretty fine: 1.2 / 2 = 0.66~ => 34% compression rate.
    Since the acrylic plate is 8mm in thickness and thus sturdy enough.. hopefully xD.. it should be fine to seal a distance of 100mm???

Last edited: 10 Jun 2020
  6. monkey562

Hmm maybe i should give it a go with an 1.5mm o-ring to avoid pinching?
    This would give me a compression of 1.2 / 1.5 = 0.8 => 20%

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Looking at a few EK ones, comparing the dimensions to the number of screws looks like they're between 30-40mm spacing between the screws.
    Try both?

8. monkey562

Ok, i have taken everything into consideration and i must say it looks quite promising!
    I have adjusted the distro plate so that the hidden reservoir now has a tighter sealing overall.
    The sealing around the D5 pumps should also be fine since many manufacturers got more or less the same spacing between the screws.
    I have attached an image with one of Thermaltake's distro plates with a D5 pump integrated into it just for reference.
    Also i can use any of the screw positionings to mount the distro plate to the chassis.
    As for the nitril o-ring cord i decided to stick to 1.5mm. Thus the o-ring slots are 2mm wide and have a depth of 1.2mm at 34% comprassion rate.
    Thanks for your time and help, Bloody_Pete!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sam__ and Bloody_Pete like this.
  9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I hope it goes well, let me know how it turns out!