1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Custom keyboard?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Jomanscool2, 23 May 2007.

1. Jomanscool2

Jomanscool2 What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone.

So I have a 4-port KVM, but I dont like to keep it up in the easiest place to reach it due to the cables. It is capable of switching the keyboard and mouse via USB, but I do not like it to that because I use the KVM mainly for non-computer connections. However, one can control the KVM via the conencted USB keyboard using the keys, scroll lock, enter, the numbers 1-4, and k. So I was thinking, why not try to make a tiny little custom keyboard in one of those radioschack project boxes?

Anyone know anywhere where I can read up more about keyboards? I can't find information anywhere, and opening one up didn't really help me, because I can't figure out how ___ keys are reported through 8 cables :O

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

The keys trigger pins on the chip thats inside, using a grid system. If say, the G key is pressed, then it triggers pins 4 and 12, and the chip knows this means G was pressed, and sends the data through the PS2 to the computer. It also constantly scans the grid, looking for a press, and when one is received, it double scans to make sure it wasn't an accidental tap of a key. That helps eliminate accidental keypresses. Newer keyboards have more sophisticated chips to allow for many keys to be pressed at once.

At least thats what my Comp Eng. teacher taught us. Dunno how well it translates into useful information.

3. Jomanscool2

So, from what I understand, I'd have to run a bunch of momentary switches in parrallel hooking up to specific pins?

4. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

5. Jomanscool2

Thanks, but no thanks. I need something I can plug into a USB port that will function just like a regular keyboard. I think I am just going to get a cheapo $5 USB keyboard and experiment.