1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Custom Media Center PC project

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Warrior_Rocker, 26 Jun 2005.

1. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

View the updated project log on my personal site, XodusTech.com

This is a computer that me and a few of my friends built. It is whats called a media pc, and unlike a lot of computers this one is solely dedicated to serving media to a telivision set, and with the complement of a official media center remote, it makes the perfect set-top or cabinet style computer, as its thin and small, and quiet, its hardware consists of:

AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz socket A(462) proccessor
    K7SEM ECS micro atx motherboard
    Nvida GeForce 4 440mx agp 2x/4x/8x card
    Linksys WMP54G v4 wifi 802.11G wifi card
    2x256mb Compaq server ram w/ heat spreadders
    HP mce infared remote and reciever
    100watt mini atx psu
    20gig ibm TravelStar laptop hd

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Overall the computer gets pretty good preformance considering the most costly componet for me was the case, screws + sheetmetal + dremel blades + metal stripping = 33 dollars at lowes,

although the computer only has a 20 gig hd, all the media is pulled via the network from my main computer, this makes things alot easier, becuase its hard to manage media archives on the tv set, vs while you are sitting at your main computer :D

Last edited: 26 May 2012
  2. simosaurus

simosaurus New Member

that remote looks cool :)

3. Skylined

Skylined Active Member

Do you really need that fan on the CPU?

4. Warrior_Rocker

well, since its in such a closed area i needed some intake and outake fans, and i decided that to direcly pull all the heat off the most hot componet in the computer would only make sense, and to a degree yes, as the athlon 1.4 is a pretty hot proccessor from my experience

5. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 New Member

small. small is good.

*EDIT* i retract that statement, because in some cases BIG is good.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Iirc 1.4Tbirds kicked out around 85W tops, making it a hot lil thing. You could get a 25W mobile 2500XP or something if you felt like splashing out.

Where's ur Wifi antenna?

And the MX440 had one of the poorest TV outs EVER on a graphics card, especially if it uses a philips chip.

Must be noisy with 2x 80mms and a 40mm gfx fan?

7. Warrior_Rocker

actually since i run the top fan at 5v, and the side fan at 7v and the graphix card fan isnt very fast its all very quiet, and these pics dont show my latest wifi card addition, but i really dont agree that the geforce 4 has a bad tv out, i use this thing on a hd tv, and it looks superb, i couldnt be happier

Edit: the side fan is actually speed controlled by the mini atx power supply, with a max voltage of 7v, so it stays cool as well, i would never sacrafice sound for heat, and never sacrafice usage over sound. but it stays cool, sounds silent, and runs fast and smooth

8. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 New Member

do you think you could just post the overall dimensions? im working on a similiar project, itd be nice to know. thanks.

9. Warrior_Rocker

cant find my ruler but its the size of a micro-atx motherboard, since thats whats inside, basically the exact size of the motherboard, and about 4.2 ~ 4.5 inches tall, i could have shaved off a half inch, had i known how the internal hardware would have been mounted in the end

10. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 New Member

Looks good dude I see you tidy the wires up some since I last saw it. It looks awesome now... Wish I had the remote :D... Can I have my harddrive adapter back now? of course now I need it.... :sigh: Its always you need it after you dont have it. Oh well. So what kind of wifi are you useing? and why did you go to wireless anyways... I mean youre desktop is in the same room right?

11. Warrior_Rocker

its 802.11G, and no its in a few rooms down now that we are in new house, and really i wouldnt have done wifi if wired ethernet was an option, but really this was a job for wifi...

umm, ill trade you the harddrive adapter for a 5 gig microdrive and ide > cf adaptor?

12. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 New Member

no way lol.. If I had that I would use it my self :rock:

*edit..

I think you should find something to cover the ir port up with.. it looks wierd :worried:

Also I still say you should try to put an LCD in it like you wanted too.

13. infered101

infered101 New Member

Where is the powersupply ive looked all over the pics and cant see it excpet what i think is a side of the board. Im trying to build a small scale unit but the psu just makes it 2 hard even out of teh box.

14. Warrior_Rocker

the psu is a mini-atx psu outa a old small hp computer, it is mounted right under the black deck, right above the back pannel io, it was a great place to mount, becuase its close to the atx power port, and its small and thin so it leaves room for cpu and other things

edit: ill dissasemble it a little and take some pictures of the psu mounting

15. Sputnik

Sputnik New Member

Maybe I'm stupid for asking this question but hey, that's why we ask. What software is it running, cause it looks uber awsome. As soon as I saw this post I knew I had to do the same (except with Intel of course). Although I suppose it would be pointless seen as I already have a Sony DVD Recorder with 250Gb HDD, but still, it would be fun!

Sputnik :hehe:

16. oda

oda New Member

it looks cool~~~

17. tm36usa

tm36usa New Member

If you click on the pics to get the bigger versions its clear that its running Windows MCE. MCE is nice but i like myhtpc (not the new medio version, the old myhtpc one)