1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding custom panel fabrication help?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by abyssling, 28 May 2004.

1. abyssling

abyssling What's a Dremel?

Hi all, I am a longtime lurker here working on a new project that I am kind of confused about how to progress

I am modding an old HP server rack and want to replace the old side panels with custom made aluminum panels so I can anodize them (steel cannot be anodized)

My question has to do with the corners

The way the side panels are constructed there is a fold on all four sides that actually pushes the face of the panel away from the rack frame 2 1/8 inches or 5.3 mm for you Metric folks

Its this fold on the edge that concerns me, the way it is now, there is a crease on the bottom 2 corner for the edges to overlap to form that fold, but at the top two corners there is no crease. How in God's name do I make those folds at the top without creases or overlap? I just don't understand how to form the metal this way using a single metal sheet. Normally i would take a single piece and cut it into a rectangle with extensions (forming short cross shaped legs) on all 4 sides that would be tucked under and fitted together on each of the four corners. That would create a crease on each of the 4 corners, How do I get the crease only on the bottom 2? Am I missing something or is this something done during case fabrication that I cannot hope to match?

2. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

sorry dude, but i think this is a case where a picture would be worth well over a thousand words!

im trying to visualise, but im just not quite getting it, pics would definitely help!

RoB

3. abyssling

I will take some pics this weekend, my digicam batteries are dead atm

4. MarcelloRupelli

MarcelloRupelli What's a Dremel?

So, what you're saying is instead of this:
    [​IMG]
    you want this:
    [​IMG]

5. abyssling

Exactly Marcello

6. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

ahhhhh. hmm thats a toughie, ive no idea how to make it from a sheet, it sounds like expensive equipment would be needed. Would it be possible for you to use solid aluminium corner pieces filed/sanded down to the curve you want?

RoB

7. MarcelloRupelli

MarcelloRupelli What's a Dremel?

Well, the first piece would be done on a press brake. You'd start with a blank that would look like this:
    [​IMG]
    The other one, with the smooth corners, would be 'deep drawn'. Like how soda cans are made. Or those aluminum brief cases. It's a lot harder to do. Especially with aluminum, since it doesn't like to bend in more than one plane at a time. You'd most likely start with a basic blank like this:
    [​IMG]
    You could start with a solid piece of bar the thickness you want, like phaSe said. Just mill the inside out and mill, file or sand the edges. What I usually do is to press brake the piece, then weld the edges, and smooth out the welds to get the radius. Hope this helps you out.

8. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Well you can go old school on it. Get some wood and mold it to the rite shape and when done take the wood out and take some thin aluminum and beat it around the wood. that should give you the desired efect.

Hopefully that shoudl help.

9. abyssling

This is the rack btw, gonna take the panels off today and take some pics

[​IMG]