1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Custom PC digital edition now available

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 24 Sep 2010.

1. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

If I am subscibed to the printed version will there be a different price?

2. SpectreAU

SpectreAU New Member

Contemplating purchasing a subscription as I'm in Australia... But not sure about the fact that you can only use the Zinio Reader to read the magazine. I'd prefer a PDF format, but I assume it's their way of preventing piracy?

3. mrbens

mrbens New Member

Why bother when all the good bits are available to read free on bit-tech anyway?

Suppose it's down to personal preference but I prefer to read the printed magazine than an ebook.

4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

My thoughts exactly. A paper magazine has value to me, but if I had to read Custom PC on my PC, I wouldn't bother.

5. Jazman

Jazman No CPC where I live!

Wow, I'm really pleased about this digital version being available, I live in South Africa and CPC is not available over here, £35 for 12 copies in an absolute bargain, believe me, I normally have to pay £7 - £14 for PC Advisor and PC Pro respectively and they are usually 2 months out of date. It would be nice to be able to get back copies at a reduced price as well. I posted a request some time ago in the forums for a digital copy and I am so pleased that it is now available, I'm really looking forward to some quality PC reading.
    Cheers
    Paul

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

lol why pay for something you get for free??? sorry but paper form tech magazines are dead, the info is always out of date and a digital version wont help things when there are hundreds of good free tech news sites.

7. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

If they were dead, I think they'd have gone bust by now.

8. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter New Member

effing unreal that a digital version is the same price as paper. gtfo tbh.

9. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Kudos for heading in the right direction, but pricing will need tweaking before I am interested. Maybe some kind of system whereby you can get a digital copy for 50p if you already bought the hard copy.

10. Bakes

Bakes New Member

Custom PC tends to focus on stuff that you can't find as well online, such as the Labs Tests and build a pc guides. It's not for everyone, but it's worth reading imo.

11. lewchenko

lewchenko Member

Hmmmm...

The following needs to happen before I consider it :

1. The Price. It needs to be less than the UK print subscription price. Simple as that. And if what the guy said above is true about it being £35 plus VAT, then its a rip off.

2. Why cant you just sell a PDF ? Or something else that I could easily view on an iPad.

3. Speaking of which... is an iPad or iPhone / Android app version planned.

4. For people who already subscribe to print, then they should get a discount.

Personally I think the pricing will kill this off pretty quick if you have to pay VAT on top of the prices quoted. Shame.

12. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I would actually have considered this (as I live in the US, I've seen CPC exactly once, and that was in Hong Kong.....), but it costs more than double the subscription price of Maximum PC and CPU in print (in fact I could get a year's subscription to both for less than getting CPC in this digital format). It just seems excessive to me, perhaps you guys are just used to higher prices for your tech magazines.

I'll be sticking with bit-tech for now :thumb:

13. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Member

I like the idea because I have to throw away old hard copies because of space in my flat...

Really though I would want a hard copy subscription plus pay a small extra fee for digital back up copy all in one price.

The price is too high for digital only. I agree with others that is should be no higher than a hard copy 12 month subscription.

14. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 #noob

should be andriod compatible.

15. kingjohn

kingjohn mod this sucker

it might be ok for those that like that kind of thing ,but it aint my kinda thing, electric guitars ok but reading everything with a pc or some dumb gadet ,,4get-about it man, its tooo cheap .and what about all the jobs that might go away never to retun if it all goes electric gooogleyyy eyes and stuff .the print industry is too important to drop unlike those micro-dots .peace and LOVE from hendrix plc. ima voooodoooo chil.....

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The value is in the content not the media it comes on. Should I expect an 80% discount buying one of your photos digitally than getting it sent on a piece of paper?

17. Kingsley813

Kingsley813 New Member

Seeing as I've been a subscriber since 2004, why can't subscribers get this content at a heavily discounted rate? Because now the so called "special subscriber edition" doesn't really mean anything. Furthermore, it really gets annoying to see the same reviews here on bit-tech as in the magazine, for free, with more pictures, more graphs and analysis.

To be honest, the pricing needs to change, because it actually does not make sense subscribing when it is all on the website in greater detail.

18. Memnoch-fr

Memnoch-fr New Member

Much cheaper to purchase in France compared to paper copy in any case :). May buy october issue to see what all the noise is about

19. runadumb

runadumb New Member

Okay I pretty much agree with everyone here (obviously except kingjohn, who's clearly high) that the price is off putting, it needs to be cheaper for the 12 months. I have a customPC subscription and do like the idea of this sort of thing but like steam, kindle and other digitally distributed media it has to be cheaper than the physical hard copy. I won't be using this in the same way I don't buy £30 games from steam when they are £15-£18 from Amazon or play, it just doesn't make sense.

I know you guys are just dipping your toes in and it's only the UK guys complaining about the price but I see a future in this. As someone mentioned above it would be cool if these digital versions could have comments and active links or embedded videos. Maybe that's something more to do with the reader software than you guys but it would make me consider a tablet in the future (when the price and functionality of them makes sense). Actually a tablet is the only way I would use something like this so I will file it under "maybe in the future"

Hope it goes well (but seriously sort out that 12 month price)

20. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

As I grow older...

Anyway, I'm going to be positive, some of your fancy print techniques can be hard to actually read !

At least on screen I'll not need my LED spotlight to decipher grey text on a "pretty" background.

dunx

P.S. Adding VAT on top is naughty

Tags: Add Tags