1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Custom PC digital edition now available

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 24 Sep 2010.

1. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

id think about paying for access to all issues as a backup but sadly not at that price.... the economist gets it right with the online as an addition

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

If you're in the UK you can get 3 months subscription for £1 (I think all Dennis mags are available on this offer) then you pay £19.99 for a further 6 months (I think). Which works out a damn site cheaper!

I had the November edition delivered to my door, the full page covers are a fresh change to the usual PC mags that seem to cram as much as they can on the cover. I also get PC Pro delivered to my work!

Well done Dennis!

Last edited: 25 Sep 2010
  3. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Broken Window Fallacy

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Just one thing that really pisses me off:

Why didn't you just publish it as EPUB?! There are EPUB readers for every platform out there, not another proprietary reader for another format we don't really need... or at least PDF?

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

It's obvious why Zinio is being used, it's a mature distribution platform that's already in wide use and therefore doesn't require Dennis CPC/BT to set up a new web platform to sell PDFs that would be shared by all sorts of people via email.

And I doubt Zinio does this from the goodness of their heart, so I assume they take a commission on each sale, so I wouldn't be surprised once the numbers are crunched if Dennis make less profit on each digital sale than they do a hard copy.

Having said this, the cost still "feels" to high here in the UK, and as history has proven if it "feels" too high then people won't pay.

6. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Good to see you guys are offering a digital edition at last, I've been expecting this announcement for a while now.

I'm sorry to say I agree with the comments on pricing though. At the moment it's great for international readers, but anyone considering a print or digital subscription will almost certainly go for the print version because it's both cheaper and nicer to read.

Almost everyone currently subscribed to the print version of CPC is going to ignore the digital edition completely because they already get a lovely printed copy through their door once a month.

The only way I see this working is to offer a digital-only subscription for a few pounds less than the print-only subscription and to offer a print-plus-digital subscription option for less than ten pounds more than the print-only subscription.

Unless this happens, I for one have no interest in a digital copy. As Rich said, it's the content that matters not the media. As a subscriber to the printed mag I've already got the content, so I'm not really taken with the idea of paying more than double my current subscription fee just to get that same content in another format alongside the paper copy.

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

heard of a site called AnandTech? they probably have some of the best build guide selections around, same goes for a lot of their lab testing and there free. My point is you can easily find this stuff on the net for free. The paper form is only good for people who dont have high speed internet or live the feel of a magazine. Making a tech magazine digital seems pointless because those who are able to read things online in the tech world is smart enough to know the sources where they can get it for free.

8. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

I already get CPU mag on the net for free,which is similar to CPC, another mag I get gives you a chance to purchase all the mags (with an index) at the end of the year on a DVD which alleviates the problem of "mag Clutter" I have mentioned this before. yes both Anandtech and toms hardware are good sites and there are many more.

9. kingjohn

kingjohn mod this sucker

imo one reason for download or online content, against many for not my cuppa ,direct connection to other sites that have software used in a review to test hardware, or a recomended site link for info. and thats about it .

10. kingjohn

kingjohn mod this sucker

as a cpc subi i enjoy reading the mag coz it aint work its all to do with my free time and just like the song goes by The Cars - Just What I Needed. its just what was needed to fill it .

11. kingjohn

kingjohn mod this sucker

so your with me on this then .it aint just about the mag in print form , its about the print industry and all that it affects .good

12. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

the site should be updated then to put that in when saying its £3.50 or £35 when it is Not will piss buyers off after they have reg'ed and it says now you got to add VAT (that be 20% soon) not like we are in the USA states where you have to add sales tax

edit
    to add to that even asks for your credit card info before totals, that in its self is the incorrect way to do it
    ---------------
    i wish to confirm that the prices at gb.zinio.com have VAT or not (when they Fully well know they should be in the UK) i have emailed them as well to ask

Last edited: 25 Sep 2010
  13. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

but the contents of the magazine are posted on bit tech anyway?

so why would you buy it?

14. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

confirmed it is £41.12 they are Not showing the inc VAT price

Please update This site to show that or tell them to adjust the price on there site so its £28.86 if you are wanting it to be £35 total with VAT

15. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

errm, no.

16. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Other than What Hi Fi around Awards time (ie, now) CPC's the only other mag I buy anymore, call it habit. Now I pick my issues according to any future build rather than subbing, it's good to have the option there at last but these Electronic editions also have to compete with Daily Mail/Clubcard/Nectar vouchers at the supermarket which regularly bring down the price of the print mag for me.

If you want to pick a start point for digitising the old stuff, make it the change from white to black spines (issue 44) - any further back than that and the outlay to re-digitise the old stuff, vs the number of new buyers that would complete their collections electronically...without bundle pricing that might not work.

17. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

you read the Daily Mail?

18. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

19. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Nope, but my rellies do and so passed on a load of Tesco vouchers a year ago that gave magazine discounts, the old credit crunch walk-in tokens that supermarkets put out all the time last year.

20. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I used to buy loads of magazines until about 10 years ago when I got the internet.

Tags: Add Tags