1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Custom speakers...

Discussion in 'General' started by Boscoe, 9 Jan 2013.

1. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Looks good, I'm going to meet with a local thing that gives young people (and now older, they extended the age) 18 - 30 very low interest loans spread of a long period to start a business. I think James Kahn has something to do with it.

2. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Boscoe, I work for Linn. While I don't necessarily have anything to offer (and I have a nice pair of speakers already thanks!) I could setup a meeting with our R&D if you're interested. Let me know.

Cleggy.

3. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Lol, so the £100 mark bookshelves didn't make it through then?

I am afraid that this price point would be out of my league, but I do wish you all the luck in the world. I am very impressed that you are trying to be an entrepreneur in this environment, people like you are what we really need out there.

Good luck, and let me know if you ever manage to create some lower end models.

4. Boscoe

Thanks I wanted to do them but to make them any good they would of needed amplification built into them. Something that costs a lot to develop and then implement. If they are mains powered they also have to be tested (at great expense) to make them eligible to be sold in the UK and Europe etc.

5. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

That seems suprising?

Could you not power them off a normal amp then? I don't really understand these things TBH.

Well I will be keeping an eye on your website anyway. Maybe we have the beginings of the next B&W on our hands here.

6. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Speakers can come in one of two forms basically, active or not (active has anther meaning as well within audio but we'll ignore that). In this instance, active speakers have a power amp included, and so simply need to be connected to the source via a pre-amp stage (which controls volume etc). Speakers that are not active also require a dedicated power-amp stage between the pre and the speakers. This is quite commonly part of the same unit as the pre-amp and is known as an integrated amplifier.

7. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I dig that site man really intrested in what your doing strictly from a young persons step into business.

(yeh im a little late)

Im curious to see where this venture takes you, been thinking of taking a step into something similar myself just need the solid background done before i go in full throttle.

Really like the font you used

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I would love a set because they are absolutely gorgeous and I'm positive they sound every bit as good as they look, but unfortunately there are several other large purchases that I need to make in the next few months, so this would only be something that I'd contact you about in the future, when I could afford it.

9. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Do you think you'd ever consider making wall- mountable speakers?

10. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

?

No reason a passive design wouldn't sound good.

11. Boscoe

Passive can but I wanted to fiddle with the frequency response and what I wanted to do wasn't viable in a passive solution.

Thanks for all the feed back guys, I have decided to really get into this and so I'm buying a new larger workshop and equipment. Once I have done this I will finalise the designs I have now then get them on the website. A few months maybe..

12. fev

fev Industry Fallout

I'd give it a punt, I work with Roth Audio (James and I now go back a fair time). So if you want any advice too let me know!

Got any pics of the final beasts?

13. Boscoe

Not yet! Will be a few weeks yet! I want to try and get most of the design done then polish it once I have some kit to work with. Thanks for your support!

14. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

Dude are you gonna be able to ship kit versions of your speakers? As in, "speaker in a bag" type deal? :eeek: That'd be ****ing awesome.

15. Boscoe

It's not something I'm really that interested in, being honest! I like creating finished products.

16. Boscoe

I would just like to express my views on good business.

I believe you first make a good product then you make money.

You do not go into business wanting to make money.

I want to go into business to offer great products which I'm able to make some money on.

17. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Interesting images, looks a bit similar (maybe too similar?) to Dali Ikon's with the ribbon tweeter up top and the two drivers positioned in the same way. Though floor standers tend to look quite similar, it reminds me of my Ikon 7's. Are you using Focal speakers?

It's hard to compete in the amp market- particularly with companies like Emotiva pumping out affordable amps that are big on power and easy on the pocket.

18. Boscoe

These are HiVi drivers by Swanspeaker.

19. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Heh... had to double back, I swear those look like Sonus-Faber.

20. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

but but but shipping will cost extra! Fak, oh well.