1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Cutting metal with fire...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Stanmanfoo, 17 Nov 2003.

1. Stanmanfoo

Stanmanfoo What's a Dremel?

How hot would a flame have to be cut aluminum or steel? I have access to a micro utility torch that burns at 1200 C, but I doubt this would be hot enough to effectively cut a side panel. I know that acetylene would work, but I, unfortunately, don't have access to an acetylene torch.

thanks to the mod gods in advance

Stan

2. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

should be plenty for cutting aluminum actually, and for how thick the steal is on computer cases, more than enough as well, only problem is that its too much heat, ends up warping whatever you're cutting because the stuff is so thin

plasma torches work, but expensive

3. Bluebark

Bluebark What's a Dremel?

You’re going to need a dual gas setup with a cutting torch and the proper head. I wouldn’t do it any other way.

4. -TheDarkEye-

-TheDarkEye- What's a Dremel?

thats not gona cut it (hehe).

a real cutting torche or plasma or laser cutter melts and vaporizes the the metal on the cutting line before the surrounding matterial can heat up enough to cause distortions.

5. tomd

tomd What's a Dremel?

Plasma cutters are awesome, they don't have the excess heat of a gas torch....

But as far as gas torches goes, usually, on an oxy/acetylene setup, you have acetylene, oxygen, and that preheats it til it is melting, then when you press the lever, more oxygen comes out to blow through the metal to make the cut.....seems kinda hart to simulate with a little utility torch...

6. Stanmanfoo

yeah, doesn't look like the micro torch will work. Great for heatshrinking, though :hehe:

I'll have to take my panel to a machine shop to get some blowholes cut, since nothing I've got does steel very well. no jigsaw, dremel faints at the sight of 2 mm steel, and I don't have any other tools available. :grr:

Thanks guys,

stan

7. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

Out of curiousity, how does a plasma cutter work?

8. whiteagle

whiteagle What's a Dremel?

Basically the plasma cutter pipes out gas through a nozzle with an electrode in it. The electrode arcs to the metal causing the gas to become plasma. The force of the gas coming out of the nozzle pushes the plasma into the metal, and you have your cut. It's a lot like tig welding really.
    Hope this makes sense.

Daniel

9. -TheDarkEye-

plasma cutters work by forcing a gas through a nossle with an electrical arc across its path. this arc ionizes the gas; essentially, a state change is occouring from gas to plasma. this plasma has tons of energy at this point and it is this energy that is used to do the actuall cutting.

its really not at all like tig welding.

10. -TheDarkEye-

your case is made of 2mm steel? damn, that thing must be heavy...

11. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

The key for oxy acetylene cutting is that the preheat flame heats the metal making it more reactive, and the lever being pressed gives it a stream of oxygen from 25-100 psi depending on thickness. The oxygen combines with the iron to rapidly oxidise (burn) making more heat and melting the next section ahead of the cut, continuing the reaction.

Ao an oxyacetylene torch would royally mess up an aluminum panel.

12. Bossman

Bossman What's a Dremel?

Hmm interesting thread.

13. Stanmanfoo

Well, I dunno if it is 1 or 2 mm, but it certainly is a heavy mother! 18 kilograms, I think. Its a big 4U rackmount chassis for my dual xeons, and I'm needing some 120mm intakes over the processors to give them some air. (the intake in the front is pretty weak)

Stan

ps- Thanks for the input so far, everyone.

14. WizardLock

WizardLock What's a Dremel?

A key point you need to also remember, is that when you cut the case with a "fire tool" it does cause the metal to expand, and may cause some wrinkling when the metal shrinks. This happened recently to my friends case he was working on. He had to dremel out another shape...

15. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

To expand on my earlier post,

If you use a plasma cutter or Oxy-Fuel torch correctly, you will only have a heat affected zone, concerning heatlines, of about 3/4" if you go slow, 3/8" if you get good and move fast. I would deffinitely go with a plasma cutter if given the choice, though you would need a good 20 amp circuit and an air compressor if there isn't and internal one.

On an OA torch, you may have trouble with the metal running back together if you use a tip that is to large, not bad if it is a short cut, but a long one is a royal pain. Though you can compensate by tilting the torch head back 45 degrees, making the metal "thicker" as far as the torch is concerned.