1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Cutting Plastic

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bumfluff, 21 Oct 2006.

1. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

Basically I am trying to get everything out of an old typewriter case so that I canstart to mod it. It is all plastic and my current cutting set up is a fake Dremel and a hacksaw. And a bit of finger use to break off the easy bits. It there anything that would be any faster than what I am doing that us easy to use and I am likely to find lying around.

2. Navig

Navig What's a Dremel?

It should be something like a shell of plastic...can you find the mounting points, cut those, and extract the internals whole?

Otherwise, if you don't care about damaging things, you could use a recipricating saw (sawzall). Or if its thin plastic, you could use good pair of tin snips.

3. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Since I couldn't make heads or tails of what navig was trying to say, I would suggest just to use your dremel and saw as are. Just be careful because plastic will melt if you stay to long in one spot with your demel and then little plastic bits will fly everywhere, and possibly warp your plastic on the case as well.

4. bumfluff

@ Navig the case is basically moulded plastic but it can be cut down and then I will use P38 to smooth bits off.

Any melting doesnt seem to matter much as I have it on high speed so that it cuts faster. I just really want it to be faster so I get more results.

5. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

If you're using a rotary tool you have to use a toothed cutting disc because abrasive bits are pretty useless with plastics.
    Cutting faster with plastic requires different tools, like a bandsaw, scrollsaw, jigsaw, sawzall, etc.

But it should be held together with screws or locking tabs and shouldn't require you to cut the shell to get it apart ifyou're patient about it.

6. bumfluff

Nope no screws, I have taken everything out that could be taken out with things like screws. What sort of toothed cutting disc?

7. pingthepiratehobo

pingthepiratehobo What's a Dremel?

typewriters would have never been single-moulded, there must be a seam where the two pieces of the casing join - try slipping a screwdriver or knife into this and wiggle it back and forth - it would be insane to have something requiring cutting for maintenance

8. bumfluff

Well, it was an automatic wordprocessor not just a typewriter. Well the lid comes off so you can get inside, but the base is completely moulded.