1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Cyber Monday build. Need Your Advice. - $2000 Budget

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krazykid035, 24 Nov 2009.

1. krazykid035

krazykid035 Entrepreneur

Hello Everyone,

I have posted a few threads before about some hardware and I am going to be buying my first custom build components this coming cyber monday. I am looking for your wisdom to help me choose the correct parts.

I will be using this computer for high definition video/graphics (editing and encoding), web designing, 3d-modeling, animation... graphic design stuff like that. I do love games also, but I don't play them everyday. Ill get on crysis, command and conquer or counter-strike but it isn't my main use.

I plan on using newegg to buy everything at once. Are there any known days coming up where they have discounts? After christmas?

So here is what I gathered...if it looks familiar, it is the November "What hardware to buy".

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 5870 1GB
    CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (d0)
    Motherboard: Asus P6TD Deluxe
    Memory: OCZ/A-Data 6GB (3x2GB) 1,600 MHz CL9 DDR3
    Chassis: Cooler Master ATCS 840
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 850W
    Storage: Crucial CT128M225 (128GB)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Disk
    Optical: LG GH22NS50 22x DVD-RW SATA Black
    Cooler: Titan Fenrir
    Sound: Asus Xonar D2X

Couple questions:

I am a power "junkie" and want the most zing I can get. Which means I will be overclocking as best as I can. So I am interested in water cooling, if it is a logical option. How would I go about configuring my system to this? And should I?

I would like to customize my case and have a see through window to see my beautiful components :p . How would this be done? Just cut the case panel with saw? I want to also print out some stencils to paint some tribals or something on my case. What is the best paint to use?

Do the components I have listed seem like they will do the job for me? Any changes? Suggestions? Is it overkill?

Anything said will be appreciated as I am new with this, but need a powerful system without paying for a brand label (alienware, dell, etc).

Thank You!

2. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

A number of small things.

1) You may have noticed from looking on Newegg that the 5870 is in extremely limited stock at the moment. Well, it's that way everywhere, and it may be that way for a while; AMD has had extreme difficulty keeping up with demand for the 5000-series, and nobody really knows when they'll have any more to give out. In the meantime you might want to consider getting a cheap(er) graphics card to tide you over until the 5000-series comes back in stock and/or nVidia releases the GTX 300-series. Which card you should shoot for in that case is dependent on what you would want to use the computer for in the meantime... and how long you would be willing to wait it out for a better card.

2) The ATCS 840 is a huge case. I don't know if you've ever owned or seen a full-tower case before, but really, if you don't have a fair deal of space to put the 840 in, you shouldn't get it, cooling prowess aside. If it's the look you like about the 840, browse Newegg for Lian-Li and Silverstone mid-tower ATX cases and see what you like. I'm a particular fan of the PC-60FNW, for example.

3) The Titan Fenrir isn't sold in the US. But any decent air cooler (Noctua's NH-P12, for example) will take your i7 920 to the 4GHz mark and probably beyond anyway - so if you're thinking of adding water cooling primarily for overclocking purposes, you don't really need to do so. That being said, Corsair did just release an all-in-one CPU water cooler called the H50 that for your purposes might be worth looking into. Cools as well as the best air coolers, gives you the satisfaction of knowing you're water cooling, and doesn't require the ~$200 minimum price tag that a full-on custom water loop usually does.

4) The Xonar D2X probably isn't worth the price increase over the Xonar DX - and if it is (i.e. if audio quality is super-important to you and you have the level of speakers/headphones where you might actually be able to tell the difference), it's worth getting the Xonar Essence STX over the D2X, especially if you have higher-quality headphones than you do speakers.

Now, one quick question for you. Do you already have a monitor, keyboard/mouse, etc. that you're planning on using with this proposed build?

- Diosjenin -

3. krazykid035

krazykid035 Entrepreneur

Thank you for the thoughtful response.

I forgot to mention that the graphics card is coming from my current rig now, so I already have the 5870, or 5750... or something 5XXX.

For the case, my current rig is a dell XPS 600. So the case is pretty big and I will..should.. have space.

I will look into the Noctua as I am not going to do any hardcore OC. I have never OC'd before and plan on just following someone's instructions on how to get to 4 GHz. So to save some cash, I will keep water cooling in the back of my mind for now.

My main purpose is video and graphic projects, so I would think sound is going to be important for me. And I listen to music to pass the time. I have a high quality set of Bose Headphones, along with a 7.1 surround sound system hooked to my pc.

I DO have a good monitor (2 x 26(7) inch samsung), mouse (G7) and keyboard (G14).

4. krazykid035

krazykid035 Entrepreneur

You guys think the "premium player" setup will basically stay the same for awhile?

5. krazykid035

krazykid035 Entrepreneur

Would this be overkill for high definition video editing, graphic design, and would the components be outdated soon?

6. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Barring an SSD price drop or the release of the GTX 300 series, yes, the premium player setup will probably remain unchanged for at least the next few months. The only other thing I can think of that might switch it up is the release of the Core i7 930, but (as far as we know) that's basically just the 920 with an extra half-step multiplier added; nice if you can get it, but not really worth delaying your entire build for.

Graphic design: Definitely, but you need more power than that anyway.

Video editing: Maybe a little much in the graphics department (depending on which GPU you'll actually be pairing with this - did you ever figure that out, btw?), but other than that it's fine. You may actually want to add some hard drive space; raw HD video files will probably fill up that 1TB pretty quickly, and it's always worth having extra space for backup purposes (take my word on that one).

Components outdated soon: God, no. Barring the addition of a second graphics card, a Blu-ray drive, and liquid cooling, the build as it stands is about as high-end as you can get without going completely overboard these days already.

- Diosjenin -