1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Cycling Stories

Discussion in 'General' started by Hiren, 8 Aug 2007.

1. evilgreenie

evilgreenie Standby for Main Engine Burn

Its called survival mate.. On 2 wheels you're invisible & every b*****d on 4 wheels is trying their very best to kill you.

Anyone know if they still have those Critical Mass bike rides in London? Always wanted to go on one of those and bully a few motorists for a change...

2. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

nothing from me... yet.
    Brother broke his arm when turning into our street when he hit a wheely bin after avoiding a car (parked directly on the blind corner of the street).

3. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

My brother went head-first over a 12 foot drop :(. He was trying to show off in front of some new riders, and had already done the drop a couple of times - this time he just forgot to pull up the front, and went straight over. He landed kind of on his head/shoulder, his lid took a massive dent. He was okay fortunately, but had to take a week in hospital and have an operation on some shoulder based thing.

For me though, I'm a little more cautious; I had a rather painful fall from a jump a year or so back, and have avoided jumps ever since - I'm not very good at them. I mainly do single track stuff now - much more fun :D

4. Seraphim Works

Seraphim Works What's a Dremel?

Best I did was rip off a good 50p sized chunk of flesh off my arm, just to the inside of my elbow. Ripped off as in just about able to see the pleasantness of the ulna... The scar there is about 2 inches by 3 inches, faded quite nicely now. All because I avoided a cat on a downhill gravel bend, which led to sliding about 10 metres down a hill and sliding along a tarmac footpath.

I ride a road bike now, simply because I mainly ride the road, and I want speed again. Haven't come a cropper yet on the Lemond.

5. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

I liked this :)

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Aug 2007
  6. RTT

RTT #parp

Good weather this weekend ;) Ever been to Pangbourne?

7. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

lol

http://www.explosm.net/comics/982/

I'm in Oxford, so it's not too far

8. RTT

RTT #parp

9. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I don't have any good stories myself (other than a few close calls), but i heard this story of a friend of a friend.

So these 3 guys were driving down a road in about 80Km/h on a warm summer day. Just ahead they saw a really nice girl riding a bike. So one of these morons figure out that it's a good idea to slap her on her ass as they pass by. He didn't think about the force of a hand traveling at 80km/h. As they passed by it was two people screaming. The girl who was slapped (ofcourse), and the guy sitting in the car who broke hes arm from the impact...

Poor girl...

10. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Lol, gotta agree, so many pedestrians complain about bikes... then you go on the road... and either get hit by cars, or the drivers complain at you... :sigh:

Anyways, stories :D:D i have a few funny ones... well i think they are funny :D

For one, i was riding through a wooded area new me a while back with my cousin, he decided he wanted to race so shot off, and jumped some steps he had forgotten were there, i heard a crash and laughing, when i got to him i found him sitting on his bike wegged between 2 trees :clap:

Once i put my foot on the front wheel of my bike while riding it (don't ask, i don't know why), causing me to do a flip, painful at the time, but very entertaining :D

Speaking of flips, i was going down the side of the Trundle, a big hill near me, and once again my cousin was with me, this time behind, i spotted a rather large pile of... horse doings, so put my breaks on to move off the track i was in, so i wouldn't ride through it, next thing i know my cousin is flying past me with the bike above him, turns out he was closer than i thought and had slammed his brakes on a little too hard :clap:

Oh... and once my rear brake cable snapped, and i ended up face first into a garage door :wallbash:, with my balls being crushed on the handle bars. :thumb:

Other than that? i can't think of any atm, ofc i have had the usual being hit by cars... people... and other assorted objects. But ill leave them for another day. :dremel:

11. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I keep trying to organise one with Samkiller42, but he never wants to go anywhere :waah:

I lol'd :D

12. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

A few years back, I spent most of the summer re-building an old 10-speed. I tore it all the way down to bare frame, repainted it, re-packed all the bearings, replaced gears, chain, cables, all that. Once I'd finished, it was a rather nice bike, if still heavy. (40 year old steel frame, what do you expect?) Anyway, two weeks into school (bicycling there and back, a great ride), I'm going down the hill past the school at 25 or so, in the bike lane, when a car pulls out of the school driveway (which has absolutely nothing blocking the view of the bike lane) and stops with their front wheels and hood right in the middle of the bike lane. All of ten-ish feet in front of me.

Needless to say, the impact was nasty. Both axles on the bicycle bent (back when an axle was a 1/2" threaded steel bar), the forks and frame bent to the point where the front wheel would hit the down tube rather than swinging in front of it, and I shattered both front upper teeth. Probably would have ended up with a concussion, too, if not for my helmet.

13. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I'm guessing some stuck-up bıtch was driving that car.

I had a bad morning.

14. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Thats because my ass hurts:waah: And im trying to organise an event, or to meet up with someone to help build a website im working on, Or because im at work:sigh:

Maybe later.

Sam

15. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Nah, it was a high school student. I have no clue where she was looking, but it wasn't at me. Stay away from high schools, you'll live longer.

16. Akava

Akava Lurking...

We don't need to know about that kinda thing, keep it clean :p :dremel:

17. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I thought the tyre on it exploded last term? And i'm sure you've told me you've had some near misses.

18. Seraphim Works

Seraphim Works What's a Dremel?

Well, the inner tube exploded, which led to a tyre going from 115psi to bugger all in about two seconds round a little roundabout, but that's no biggy. And the near misses, that's part and parcel of being a bit of a pushy git who likes to argue with vans in rush hour through Coventry.

19. Matkubicki

Matkubicki What's a Dremel?

I did the exact same thing (its just impossible to resist the temptation to put your foot there isn't it?) only i went over the handle bars and landed facing forward sat down with not a mark on me and the bike landed upside down standing up facing forward! It must have looked so cool from the side but i just looked left and right to see if anyone had seen then set of again, chain didn't even come off.

20. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    Spotted in Wales.

Tags: