1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Cygnar Storm Strider - Update#28.5 - 9.06.2011

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Gentleman_Dingo, 3 Jun 2011.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D I'm looking forward to seeing this complete also. I was a bit unsure about the rough surfaces when it was raw but painted up it adds character to it & gives it a one of a kind look to it, I like :D:clap:.

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

3. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

Still @ PAX, still MIA, will post more when I get home:
    WIP @ PAX:

[​IMG]

4. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Thanks for posting :)

5. Gentleman_Dingo

Quick note:

I GOT 1ST PLACE IN THE PAX PRIME 2011 BYOC CASEMOD CONTEST!!!!!!!!

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Nice one dude! :D

7. BOBDBONE

BOBDBONE Owner at BS Mods

I have to say I thought you would, but I didn't want to say anything ahead of time. I have helped judge a few case mod competitions and I would have picked it for sure.

Congrats dude.

Well deserved!

8. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Yes, of course - we expected nothing less. ;)

9. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Congratulations on the win!
    The case is definitely one of a kind and looks great!

10. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Grats on the win :D good luck in finishing!

11. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I knew you would :thumb: and well deserved congrats! :D

12. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

Wery well deserved! :rock: ...now we want the finished one =) just kidding, take your time =)

13. Gentleman_Dingo

Thanks!!!

Thank you! It was awesome meeting you and all the other casemodders there at PAX. The event was great and filled with lots of cool toys games and people. Too bad we didn't get a chance to grab a beer. Oh! I had some of the popcorn, thanks for the snack! ;)

I'm glad I didn't disappoint! :)

Thank you!

Thank you! I can attribute some of my success to the awesome input and advice I've receive here.

Thanks, both of you. I will be posting the scheduled for finishing this case. I've also had some time to think about a couple of small redesigns that would help especially after transporting this behemoth. Aluminum legs with screw-on caster wheel are definitely required.

I should have a proper update up a little later today. It'll cover the trials & tributes of PAX and a schedule for completion of the last parts.

14. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Did you get some sweet gear for the win? Gratz again.

15. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Like everyone else said, it's not a surprise you won! You really deserve that! :thumb:

Congrats man! :rock:

16. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Congrats man thats some great news!!!!!!!

17. Gentleman_Dingo

Congrats from both the Angels! I am honored.

Thank you! You'll have to forgive me for not having the model numbers but this were my prizes:
    A thermaltake heatsink (very awesome, very big!)
    A thermaltake gaming keyboard & mouse & mouse pad
    An Intel extreme mother board (ATX)
    and CPU magazine might feature me in a future article.

In total for the LAN and the other contests, I won the above and:
    Intel SSD 120GB
    4GB thumb drive
    a case dolly
    a medium ATX case (i'll have to edit in the case brand later)
    15 t-shirts
    a hat
    a frisbee

18. Gentleman_Dingo

Sponsors:

[​IMG]
    http://www.hazardfactory.org/

[​IMG]
    http://privateerpress.com/

[​IMG]
    http://greenfairystudios.wordpress.com

Update #28: My PAX experience.

The event is done. The initial stress is over. And despite all of the stress, commotion, hurried frenzy and excitement, I had an immense amount of fun.

First the preparation:

Two days before PAX, I hurried to get things ‘together’ enough to present at PAX. Anthony with Green Fairy Studios gave me a fighting chance by painting most of the parts. I assembled case, wired the lights, and inserted hardware. However, my rush-job on the mould for the shin pads didn’t work out as well as I thought it would. There was a bit of a conflict with the petroleum jelly and the resin. I set the mould in the sun and heat to help catalyze the resin. The resin in turn produces heat. The heat from the sun and the resin turned the petroleum jelly into liquid. This allowed the resin to seep from the mould. :( But I didn’t let this daunt me. I threw everything together and grabbed the single shin guard and got everything ready for the morning of PAX. When I began loading everything into the car, the case slipped and both halves of the dome snapped off the main enclosure… so I did what any avid modder would do. I drilled four holes, tapped the bottom and jury rigged the dome onto the case; and it worked.

I also found that carrying 50lbs (23kg) of computer case is enough to give you a work out. I’m looking into adding rolling casters to the legs.

At the convention, I got to meet some of the best casemodders in the community (at least those in the US). Boddaker was in the EVGA booth with his TRON mod and it’s every bit as beautiful as its pictures. I was especially impressed with how he had the SSDs displayed and wired into the case. My only regret was that the case wasn’t on a turn-table so that you could easily see all sides of that beauty. BobDBone was in attendance in Zotac’s booth. He provided everyone with two treats, his casemod and the popcorn it produced. Leatherface was rocking the Thermaltake booth with two of his cases, the Scootermod and his bomb disposal robot mod(sorry if I get the names wrong on these two). The scooter-mod was particularly popular with the ladies. I can’t tell you how many times I saw a VERY cute girl posing on that scooter. Anthony Lackey had his Candy casemod in the BYOC with me. And last but not least, DarthBeavis was everywhere. No, really, had had several cases in several booths. He is a giant amongst modders and it’s always a pleasure to talk with him and get his advice on mods and the industry.

Now for the ‘thank you’ list:

My wife: Sorry guys, she gets the first and foremost thank you. She has supported me every step of the way and demonstrated patience of a saint. I love you, honey!
    [​IMG]

CPU Magazine (prize support & contest hosts): Without you and your sponsorship this contest wouldn’t be. Your magazine has great articles and features and I was happy to be participating in your event.
    [​IMG]
    www.computerpoweruser.com

ThermalTake (prize support & LAN awesomeness): Whoever is in charge of Thermaltake, you need to give Shannon a raise. This man works non-stop to help establish a community. His crowd interactions and support of the LAN made me feel as though Thermaltake was a central part of the community and that supporting this company would be like supporting a local business. Marketing reps should take note of how Shannon interacted with the people at this convention. It’s a community and we remember both the good and the bad.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/

CyberPower(prize support): A special shout out to Eddie with CyberPower. Not only did Eddie provide awesome prizes for the various LAN contests but he was the technical guru for all things computers. He had answered for any range of questions on tech specs, cooling, and did a bunch to find a PC solution for any type of person (from the enthusiast to the beginner). http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

And finally LANFest by Intel (LAN support, prize support, and everything else): LANFest & Intel made the LAN possible. Plain and simple. I’m pretty sure only an entity like LANFest can make both the BYOC and the PC-Free-play areas run that smoothly. It was amazing. http://lanfest.intel.com/

Alright, now that all of that is out of the way… what’s next?

Well, I have to finish the case! I’m taking it a little easy for the next two week so that I can clean up the messes I’ve made of my basement and backyard. I’m also talking with two other foundries in regards to getting the last 7 pieces cast (3 shin guards and 4 legs). I also need to redesign the PSU enclosure (make it smaller) and re-cut the input/output panel. After all of that is done, it will be ready for Anthony (Green Fairy Studios) to re-paint the case and make it pop.

j0rd and Karrek like this.
  19. BOBDBONE

BOBDBONE Owner at BS Mods

Woah SSSSsssoooooo HOT. Thanks for sharing the pic...

your wife is cute too.

RAWR lol :hehe:

Karrek and wahoomcdaniel like this.
  20. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

Well said BobdBone - I lol'd at that one.

And CONGRATS on everything MonkeyFun! Well done. +Rep for an awesome job so far... I look forward to you getting back to this - Have a good two weeks.