Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jean R built, 19 Feb 2020.
You did all that in TinkerCad? That's crazy.
Yep all with TinkerCad from 0 to 100% .
The first day I was trying Fusion 360, but I got to a point where I needed to modify the dimensions of a sketch I created in the first few minutes, and it was then that my problems started.
My brother looked around the web when I was messing with tutorials and the program, and found out that it would be easier to start with TinkerCad.
And that's how I started with it, honestly I wasn't sure how far I could get with it in the beginning, but just change the grid to custom dimensions and you can work decently enough with it .
Fusion just started charging for use. You dodged a bullet. I've been avoiding them because I felt that was coming.
I love the new legs. It looks like they will take as long to make as the entire rest of the case did.
Fusion 360 is still free for personal use. Just has a limit to 10 documents at a time. Can somewhat mitigate it by archiving any inactive projects.
I'm super excited right now , here is our first Youtube video of Da Module Thingy, my brother helped me out a Ton .
I hope you like it
I'm upgrading my workbench, obviously with some new and some scrap wood planks.
The white plank for example has almost 20 years, and survived a couple of small flood in my garage in the last years, It helped me in the past as makeshift table, I've cut away the bad parts and I'll use the good section to expand the left side of my workbench, so I can work with more space on the right side of it.
You have to start from somewhere with what you have .
Now I have an anvil too , it's slightly bigger than one my hammers , but it's too cute and will prove useful I'm sure.
I'll post a shot of the vise I've used when building Da Module Thingy, the poor lad cracked in half when crafting the outer shells, now there is a new one in place .
If all goes well I should be able to start working on Leetfoot by Friday
By the way, we have uploaded a shorter RGB cut of the video of Da Module Thingy, with a more aggressive background music
Yesterday evening the garage upgrade has been completed, now I'm gonna start with Leetfoot
I do like your small anvil. Where did you get that? and what does it weigh?
It's from Leroy Merlin chain store, and it weighs 2.5 Kg of awesomeness
I wanted the structure to be strong, so I choose some thick aluminium for the project.
Well the 10 mm aluminium wanted to let me know that I need to show it some respect ...
I understimated how strong it is, I have neighbors, and even if I wanted to hammer it down to shape, I would make too much noise.
I even gave a try to a strange experiment with an hydraulic car jack, so sneaky , but it's better not to talk about it .
So I choose to follow the old school path and I'm thinning the bars with some V cuts on the bending points, by doing this I'm going to be able to bend it to shape with some hammer blows on the anvil.
The bended parts are going to be sandwiched between the 2 plates in the mid part of the foot, the sheet to craft those parts is 4 mm thick, so I don't really need the full strength of the 10 mm near the bends.
Not considering the stop & go caused by the bending issues, I made some progresses anyway and I have cut a lot of the parts to length
Let's see how it goes tomorrow.
I'm starting to give some shape to the sections
Tomorrow I'm gonna make the rest.
Today I've made all the rough 45° cuts on the corners of the cutted to length sections
Tomorrow I'll start with some refining of the bars
Maximum speed engaged - for the Cooler Master CMWS I need to complete the project by January 14, 2021.
Honestly it would take too much time by doing this phase only by hand.
I'm going to get some help from my electric sander, I get the part to a decent condition with it, and then finish the job by hand.
Let's see how much I can get done by tomorrow evening.
Hi all, here the first episode of the making process of Leetfoot
A ton of hours squeezed in a relatively short video, we hope you like it.
Hi all, the smoothing and straightening of the 6 small fingers sections is completed here a photo of the work in progress
Tomorrow I hope to be able to do the same on the long fingers and the mid frame sections too.
Update, now the corners of the lower frame's sections are at a decent level, I can now move on and craft the plates of the mid part of the foot, then the knuckles.
The plan is to give brushed finish to Leetfoot like Da Module Thingy.
If I see the need to give a mirror finish to some parts when test fitting, then I'll polish them, but it's going to have a brushed finish on the majority of the parts.
Well even the 4 mm Aluminium is thick and strong, here a photo of the first of the mid plates:
You may have noticed that I've also bended to shape the mid frame's sections, with Da Anvil and by hand , but you'll be able to see it on YouTube in the third episode of the build log.
Honestly in real life the mid frame is smaller than I had imagined it, small but super strong.
Tomorrow I'll cut the other plate and refine them both to a decent level.
Episode 2 has been uploaded on the YouTube channel
Episode 3 is online
Separate names with a comma.