1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn good system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hacker 8991, 20 Apr 2004.

1. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Okay, this is your last chance to do something that makes sense. The newest nVidia card will be arriving in about two weeks. There is a 30 day return policy in Frys, and I highly reccomend returning that video card now. I have no objections with anything else in that system.

Your "generation down" philocophy is flawed for your choice of video card. The reason why is because you spent near full price for a video card with an approximate framerate improvement of 20 FPS over your 9600 Pro. You are trying to get a so called "Damn Good system," and you have chosen to get a video card that performs 20-50% worse than the new card from Nvidia. If you dont want it because its from Nvidia, fine. At least wait until ATI comes out with their new cards. But you are making an incredible mistake about spending $412 dollars for the last generation of video cards. You are mistaken about the price for the new nvidia card. It is only going to cost $500 upon release; although bit tech states 600, that is a flawed estimate. New video cards have always been released for $500 when they are new consumer level cards. I know you want to build this system asap, but you dont want to be kicking yourself in the pants later. When it comes to video cards,
    COMPANIES DONT DEVELOP THEIR GAMES FOR THE LAST GENERATION OF VIDEO CARDS!!!
    This is the single most important reason to get the new cards, so that you wont have to spend a fortune upgrading to a new card that you could have gotten earlier and saved quite a bit of money. Its not just Epic who you will see improvement for. There is ID software, Ubisoft, and dozens of other companies who are going to design their games to work with the BEST! They arent going to stay in business if they make games that dont meet the standards that are being set by other games that look much better because they are designed to use the newest and best technology! So please for goodness sakes, return the 9800 XT while you still can, and put those $400 dollars towards the far superior next generation! Its critical you do get this generation of video cards! The performance leap allowed by the Nvidia 6800 Ultra is going to make the next generation jumps of games that will come out in about a year absolutely unplayable on anything older than a 9800XT, and that even that card will almost definitely get apalling framerates in those games.

I know you have your heart set on this system, but I am only trying to help you understand that it is often better to wait for a little while before getting a system than going all out while hardware that is almost extinct and done with is still at the price it was originally sold for!

I am not trying to say you are stupid. I know you are sick and tired of everyone telling you the same thing. But they are doing it because it is good advice. Look at the evidence and listen to what we have to say! We are only trying to help you get your money's worth. And also, dont post about what you feal are awesome system specs because you want to feel glorified, because no one particularly cares wether or not your system is better than someone elses or not. If you made this thread simply so that you could brag about how great your system is to everyone, SHAME ON YOU! :nono:

Edit: Fine, if you guys are just going to whine about it, Ill remove the E! :rolleyes:

Last edited: 24 Apr 2004
  3. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

Damn right. I could really care less. Just trying to help. I mean why would I care if you have a $5,000 system? Doesn't help me one bit, so I don't give a flying F-word.

4. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

cheapskate.

Why didnt u get 8gb of ram? ;) (which is an addon option for $4950 ;) )

5. fathazza

If you are going to subject us to nasty text like that at least have the common courtesy to spell it correctly

6. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Fine, I fixed it. Whiners :D

Last edited: 24 Apr 2004
  7. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

there pretty stupid then, because al new game si know of work at 100% on one of my friends computers with a radeon 9800, which i do belive is pretty old now :)

and tbh, anyone who buys a GFX card as soon as they come out, or are indeed over the $200 mark, have way too much money than sense.

edit: and americans DONT spell it develope, if they do, there just stupid. Its develop. Maybe the french say develope (e with an accent).

8. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

9. fathazza

hmms, if its a dialect then i suppose ill let it pass ;)

but as for red for emphasis, you're clearly not up on your general usabiltiy principles
    :miffed:

10. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

:confused: Whats the big deal? I was trying to be as obtrusive as possible to make a point. You dont need to get mad at me for THAT! And whats this "General usability principles" that you speak of? If its an unwritten rule of forum dialect, enlighten me.

11. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

cmon dude, this is bT. The correct way of spelling it is

"omG!!!!!!!111111 cpanies dnT devvellp[p game$ for teh lasT genration of gfx crds!!!!!1111111 omG lol! wtf "

That way, more people would have been able to understand it...

Sam

12. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

:hehe:

13. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Hey, I never said they WOULDNT work, but if hes going for maximum performance for as long as possible, a 9800 XT isnt the way to go when he has the oppurtunity to get a 6800 Ultra. :)

14. fathazza

Thats the very reason posts like that are annoying, because they are so obtrusive. If your point is so great then people will read it and take note of it if it is normal size and coloured text....

No, they are written sets of rules governing the way to display user interface designs, e.g page content. for your enlightenment use google, but seeing as im feeling nice right now, heres an example set or two...

http://www-3.ibm.com/ibm/easy/eou_ext.nsf/Publish/1392/$File/ibm_uia.pdf

http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/ahtutorials/interface.html

anyhow, i think thats enough digression from me for now, time to get back to the thread topic :baby:

15. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Normally you are correct, but then again, this post is aimed at a person who hasnt been listening to reason ;) :rolleyes: Oh, I removed the size and color. Are you happy now? :p

16. fathazza

:D yep

17. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Silly roto, you're 16, you should know how to spell "develop". We don't spell it "develope" here in the USA. :p

[linky] :D

18. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

woohoo im getting a lot of people to hate me :D

I did a little research on the thought of getting 2GB of ram... and it seems that anything over 1gb slows XP down. a system with 2gb ram runs half as fast as one with 1gb.. its really weird.

since i haven't looked at this thread in like 2 days, and there are 20 new posts :p, i wont reply to all of them. (esp these anti-e hate threads!)
    problem is, they don't develop their games for the newest generation either. if they did this, they would be abandoning many potential customers. it would be like making a 64-bit game right now. only like 1% of the peeps could play it.
    also, a radeon 9800 XT is more than enough for D3/hl2 (the two games everyone will be undoubtedly playing).

btw: i just got LotR: RotK (game) today. I got it for the co-op play. I'll report back later if it is any good.

19. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

BS, they do design them for latest gen.. they just also design them to be playable on worse hardware at low, lame, settings. FarCry really comes into its own with PS3 and will get you much smoother fps with the latest gen.

20. Caged

Caged What's a Dremel?

Both of which aren't out yet. How can you tell how well they are going to play? A leaked alpha is no indication at all.