1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Damn you! (Tax rant)

Discussion in 'General' started by HellDiver, 27 Oct 2003.

1. HellDiver

HellDiver What's a Dremel?

The government has a lot to answer for.

£99 worth of petrol in a month, and I've only done 1050 miles. How much of that is tax? Most of it I bet.

Then! Then they have the cheek to put up road tax! £165 now for my car! It's a 1.6 Astra, 2000 registered. It's so expensive because CO2 ratings only started in 2001, and my car is a 1.6 so it gets the uber tax rate along with all the other "environmentally unfriendly" cars. The gases coming out of my car are probably cleaner than a lot of new cars.

Oh, and then I'll have to MOT the car. Another waste of £25 for some spotty kid in the government run test centre to tell me my car is fine. I know it's fine. I look after my car. I've seen 6 month old cars in worse condition that my car.

2. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Tax is the reason the UK government doesn't like Japanese Imports, the fuel management system means they loose out because you spend less on petrol.

3. Submerged..

Submerged.. What's a Dremel?

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: Muhahahahahhahah! If i ever get a car, (hopefully soon), i'll make sure i get a car with the fuel management system!

But wouldn't they increase the tax for the Japanese imports? :waah: :waah: :waah:

I'm in a lucky state here....i don't have to worry much about the taxes and stuff, as i'm still with my parent's....got to fly the nest soon!

However, i don't like the way the Gov't take my cash...my hard earned cash!...and use it for totally pointless things.... :waah: :wallbash: Some of the stuff the British Govt dun have been rather....stupidifying!

When will Govt learn?

4. penski

penski BodMod

Yup. That NHS...Could do without it.

*n

5. HellDiver

Well, if you were over here you'd realise the government is closing all the hospitals. Soon we'll be left with 2 in Belfast, leaving all the rural and regional hospitals closed.

The local hospital where my parents live has been slated for closure for years. Big row, lots of protests and they're keeping it open. Except, they're not spending anything on maintaining the 200 year old building. So, in 10 years they'l close it anyway because they've let the building deteriorate to a point where it's not safe.

6. Submerged..

That's bad...i wonder...

It seems that no-one has a solution to allivate the problem...there is a way, but no-one is doing anything!

And if i hear that they are doing something about it.....*smacks fist on hand*

7. Knipex

Knipex What's a Dremel?

You have alot to complain about. :rolleyes:

25% VRT (Vehicle registration Tax) on all cars under 2ltr. 30% on all above 2 ltr.

Then we pay 21% VAt on the price of the car + the VRT (thats right Vat on a tax)

Road tax lol

1ltr costs €119

1.4ltr costs €298

2ltr costs €656

3ltr costs €1279

I am 30 drive a 1.9TDI 110bph Seat toledo Diesel and my insurance is over 2K and thats with full no claims bonous.

8. HellDiver

Yeah, but your fuel is a ****load cheaper. Oh, and 2% of road tax in the UK actually goes to maintaining the roads.

9. -Rx-

-Rx- What's a Dremel?

Sounds harsh, but us peeps in the UK have always been able to buy cars cheaper in IE than we have from a showroom over here.......

10. HellDiver

Yeah, and add about £1000 to the UK mainland prices when you're buying a new car over here in N. Ireland.

There's still a load of people buying cars on the mainland and importing them to here.

Personally, I'll be buying used cars from now on - bought new a few years ago and got a disaster on wheels.

11. Submerged..

What happened with the "disaster on wheels."?

Just interested that's all.

12. HellDiver

I think I probably had a thread about this, but I couldn't be bothered looking for it.

The concise version:

Bought a Pug 106 in June '01. Exhaust blew in the first week, took 6 weeks to get a new one, then the engine kept cutting out at traffic lights. Only took 16 months and two dealers to discover the oxygen sensor was dud, after replacing most of the rest of the engine. The gearbox leaked oil from new, took 4 attempts for them to fix it - I think the 'box was cooked at some point because it whined loudly in 2nd. Then the replacement exhaust went. Then the brake master cylinder went, took them 2 months to get a replacement, and they wouldn't pay for the gallons of brake fluid I was having to put in it. Finally, it got a massive water leak - every time it rained there was about an inch of water on the floor. They replaced the sunroof, the windscreen, ariel, and still it leaked. I'm sure there were other problems, I just don't remember what they were now.

I was back to various dealers at LEAST once a month, and often had to make return trips becuase they never had the right parts. It also took an eternity to get parts in.

I gave up on it after 18 months, and sold it to the unsuspecting Vauxhall dealer I got my current car off. Let's just say I havn't been back there since. ;)

Happy to report the Astra I got (it'll be 4 years old in a few months) hasn't given me a button of trouble, apart from a bad connection on the brakelight bulb. Brilliant car compared to the POS Pug.

13. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Welcome to the world of the grey market.

14. Submerged..

Any time WireFrame!

Sorry if i didn't look for the thread about your Pug, HellDiver, never realised you posted one.

Expensive Pug...didn't you manage to complain to the Pug dealers and demand why your car was going wrong, while everyone else's Pug was fine?

Sometimes, i wonder if the manufactor's deliberatily make certain cars break down for no reason, so they can rip you off with the repairs an' stuff.

So, you recommend the Astra for realiabilty? :)

Tags: