1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Daniel’s murderbox – 008 / Final Abridged Version (page 1 loaded w/ images!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by charles_h, 3 Aug 2009.

1. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

That is exactly the way I feel. I can spend months planning and creating a mod only to get about 1/20th as good as the quality of a mod like this. This mod is simply incredible. It really does make me want to just hang it up in a sense as I don't think I could ever come up with something like this by myself. It takes access to professional grade laser cutters, powdercoating, etc. to do this kind of thing which simply aren't available to the average joe.

2. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

What? No way this had the total opposite effect on me.

After seeing this worklog I went and ordered 30+ meters of sleeving to make the mod im working on look better. Modding on this level just compells me to try harder, it doesnt make me wanna give up.

3. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

I believe that the true spirit of modding, is adding functions and design improvements, without exclude others. You don't need laser-cutters and powdercoating for that my friend. Use your imagination. :) Of course those tools will help doing the job, but I can find a lot of amazing mods that's basically done with kitchen gear and a dremel. Don't loose faith :thumb:

4. bagman

bagman Minimodder

this build is like Mary Poppins perfect in every way

+rep from me i am speachless everything in this build is almost too neat even where the power supply lives, it is rediclous great build

5. charles_h

charles_h I can has RotoZip?

I've been using the same MOLEX pin extractor for over a year now... it's a tough little varmint that refuses to die! The other stuff is a heatgun, small spring clamps, a small pair of scissors, and a Weller solder gun w/ cutting tip (to melt ends of sleeve to prevent fraying and grip shrink). Oh, and a small ruler to measure out lengths of shrink. I find the most important thing is not to sleeve when you're tired, cranky, edgy, or drunk. If you find yourself getting frustrated then stop and come back to it. I also find music helps... something relaxing though - not too aggro. :)

Unicorn: You absolutely made my week. Thank you sincerely for taking the time to say that - I really appreciate it! :)

It gives me an amazing sense of pride knowing that people get something constructive from my efforts. Most of life consists of efforts that go largely unnoticed and even more so, unrewarded - it's a fantastic thing to be doing what you love and getting such heartwarming support and feedback... many days when nothing seems to be working, it's what keeps me going. I'll take your words with me into the next challenge - cheers Mate.

Voigts, thanks for the kind words but I hope you're not serious about hanging it up... that would really be a shame. Voigts, you have to keep in mind that this is a custom built retail product and therefore comes as a result of the efforts of many... not just me! I think we just have to be realistic about what we can archive and find ways to work effectively with the resources available to us. I try to look at it as a challenge and successfully completing a challenge is always rewarding!

I've been inspired by builds that have been constructed with a lot less available resources but were executed to perfection. There's such a wealth of inspiration here! I reckon the important thing is to find your inspiration and really challenge yourself. It was just over two years ago I built my first LC machine on my living room carpet and that was nothing like what you see here in this worklog. While I'm pleased with where we're at as a business, I'm far from satisfied... there's still much to do. Creativity is what it's all about and because of that, I spend time everyday seeking inspiration. Nature is a great resource as everything you see in the natural world simply works because the evolutionary process insists on efficiency. Symmetry, balance, shape and efficiency - these are the keys to good design IMHO.

Anyway Mate, I didn't mean for this to be a speech, I just wanted to give you a little pep talk and let you know that nothing you've seen showcased by me came without a massive effort and would never have happened if not for the help and support I get from those around me. Voigts, I've always enjoyed your projects and look forward to seeing what you'll be doing next. :)

Good to hear Mate! :)

I completely agree!

That's why I try to use hand/power tools when I can - keeps me connected to the work. Because we do this as a business, we need to always consider fit & finish which is why we frequently utilize some of the resources you've mentioned. I do still spray paint the odd I/O shield! ;)

Thank you bagman; I really appreciate your kind words! :)

6. themcman1

themcman1 is now 110% win

I use a small gas lighter to melt the ends of the sleeve. Tends to do a good job for me.

I ordered a few spring clamps last week, the companies been a bit slow getting them out to be so far but it should help me a bit by the looks of it.

7. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

I absolutely love this mod!
    But the one question I have is...

How many metres of cable braiding did this take? Seriously it must have been loads! I love how it looks, but just can't guess how long it takes to braid all those individual cables!

I mean take the 24pin, that's 24 wires, at like 60cm? So your looking at nearly 15metres there alone :waah:

Anyway that's my curiosity :p

Sorry if its been asked before :p

Last edited: 15 Sep 2009
  8. urbtree

urbtree What's a Dremel?

absolutly speechless man. i know no words to describe the awe i was in when i saw this thread

brilliant work dood

9. apl1970

apl1970 What's a Dremel?

DITTO!

IMO the best looking case I`ve ever seen. Artistic

10. LightningCrash

LightningCrash What's a Dremel?

Is vinyl dye an option here?

I can't tell you how many CDRWs and Intellimouse Opticals that I made black with vinyl dye

Last edited: 2 Dec 2011
  11. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Old post.. but read it from the beginning to the end!
    Amazing build quality and has given me the idea i needed to near my project to an end!

12. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

Will we get to see how the internals of the computer were packaged? I've been very curious how you managed that one :)

Overall, beautiful work!

13. Hannes

Hannes Design | Art | Performance

Nice to see the work put behind an awesome build like this. Charles, I love your builds, I your murdermods, love the murderbox MkII. You set a standard with every build you put out there. Each of 'em has inspired me in some way.

14. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

i am actually doing one, it will take a little more while becouse im wiruting a guide in different sleevetypes too :)

Now to the topic.

I love his mods and as Hannes said the murderbox mkI was awsome too :)
    Im still whating for more builds like this!

15. tp148

tp148 Minimodder

this is simply one of, if not the cleanest build i've ever seen!
    i have it as my desktop background to inspire me!
    real nice work mate! :)