1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Dark Blade by G69T

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G69T, 30 Nov 2004.

1. Lucidity

Lucidity What's a Dremel?

You've got some great designs, but I cant say that this is a great mod or anything at all, because basically (in my opinion) all you have is ideas. I'm sure if everyone had a cnc at home and the basic knowledge of a cad program, they too could take all their crazy cool ideas and make them real. What I'm trying to say is your taking all of the real hard work out of modding, and giving it to a machine. Mods are to be unique, while as all we would have to do is press some buttons to make more of your case. Sorry if I have offended you, but thats just my two bits.

2. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

lucidity, while it may not take as much "physical" labor for this project, I promise you that cad knowledge aside, design talent like this does not reside in all of us. Not to mention that it took much longer to master his tools than say, a dremel would take to master.

I think everyone is getting hostile because they just want to see this case finished. keep up the good work g69t. :rock:

3. Ediejo

Ediejo What's a Dremel?

:clap: Special for this project i registered at Bit-tech. This is the best Casemod I see in my whole live !!!!!!! :clap:

:thumb: Keep up the good work. :thumb:

4. Dezjay

Dezjay What's a Dremel?

Hey Ed :)..

Well seems like you should have to buy a CNC machine 2 think when you learn that you can also make nice things... looks like everyting you start works out fine :)

G69T: nice job.. i really like the turbine things for the watercooling...

5. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

*Comes out of hiding...*

Updates?

6. Lucidity

If you didn't have design talent, your mod won't look good, but if you have little at all, or even an imagination, the machine will do the work for you. You would never be able to accomplish that level of perfection by hand. Since all the actual modding to the case is being controlled by a machine, how does this mod differ from a mod straight outta the factory? Laser etching, cutting, etc. etc. any company that wanted to make really cool cases with lots of detail could, you would just have to pay top dollar.

7. drknow

drknow What's a Dremel?

The machine will do the work for you, pfft. I doubt anyone here bashing this mod could just walk in and run their cad drawing. One off parts like this isnt just button pushing, alot of time and effort goes into the setup and fixturing of every part. Plus not all this work is done on a cnc lathe as you see on some of his pages, theres manual lathe work going on as well. Plus hand polishing of everything and all that good stuff.

How is doing a sloppy or imperfect job by hand somehow less "good" or admirable then doing it with a machine. I think we should all work to do our best with the best tools available too us, and if for some of us that means cnc machines then so be it. Its an excellent way to realize ones vision.

Modding is really about 2 things imho, enhancing functionality or customizing the case so it looks different/appealing, to bring out your style or your design. Why should that have to involve a case that came out of a factory and had a dremel taken to it. I've seen people post logs here for cases made out of cardboard and they didnt draw as much heat for it as this beauty. Why so narrow minded, this is one guy realizing his vision the best way he knows how, and you know it looks awesome.

8. tecate

tecate What's a Dremel?

I totally agree with you on that one drknow.

Cannot wait for more updates....

9. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

a lil late on posting a reaction on the overdone thingy, it has nothing to do about being jealous. I've done my share of work when casemodding was nowhere near the standard it is today.

But i don't think we should have these big flame wars on whether someone is right or not, i think anyone has a right to say what they feel about this project, maybe give some tips here and there, and not go on much about it anymore whether it rocks or not.

10. Lucidity

Ok, let me try one more time to get my point through. And I can use cad btw, passed computer drafting with an A. But personally I don't like cad, I like to use 3dsMax and Maya. Anyway here is my point. Using a cnc to do most of your work is like creating a 3d video using Rhino3d or something similar. All the 3d models are prefabricated, all you have to do is put them in motion. You're not really making it, your just putting things in place. It's like baking a cake from scratch or using cake mix. The mod is not unique it can be replicated. Drawing ones vision, and cutting it out by hand are two different things, and bringing a vision to reality by hand is alot harder than using a cnc. People use drawings and what not to help them build there mod, not for it to build the mod. Plus isn't modding about personalization, how is it personal when a machine does 80% of the hard work for you. Sure the case may look great, but so can premod cases, and ones that have had lasers carve out intricate windows. But I give my respect to the guys who cut it out by hand.

11. Eric_Streame

Eric_Streame What's a Dremel?

Allright, Lucidity.

In my opinion that is an completely outdated view on design. It's like saying that you can't give any credit to an architect, because he's not also a bricklayer, contractor, carpenter etc... Designing goes totally beyond your notion of "just an idea".

It just doesn't make sense. Building the whole machine in cad takes an great understanding of the techniques and processes related to materials and computer components, and so cares if he doesn't make it all by hand. You could carve the whole thing in wood, and I could 3d-scan it and cnc it again, and noone could tell the difference, if I gave it the same finish, hah.

:eeek:

I totally disagree.

Eric_

12. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Alright, i'm a furniture maker and i recently started doing most of my stuff by hand, since i can have better control over the process, along with aquiring more skills, and hey, you never know when the power is gonna go off and none of our machine tools will work, but either way, even though i like hand-done stuff better, i can definately appreciate all the machine work done here and the quality involved.

great job G69T

13. Bum

Bum What's a Dremel?

I'd like to strongly suggest that those of you debating the merits of G69T's case go make a thread in a different forum and stop cluttering up this worklog. Encouragement, suggestions, perceived flaws and other constructive criticism are what should be posted by the readers. These debates should move elsewhere. If this were my worklog, I'd be extremely pissed by now.

14. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

Wow! simply wow, I just join this forum, and I have read your whole worklog so far, its simply stunning! I want one!!!:D You have to let us know how much time and money was spent on this masterpeice when your done;). Can't wait for updates!!!!

-CollinstheClown

15. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

who said G68T was MODifying anything? This is a Project Log to log the construction of his custom designed case.

Anyways, is the bronze sculpter who recasts his finsished work several times 'cheating'? There's no major work in the production after making the cast. The skill is in the design and the creation of the original.

16. Zzubbione

Zzubbione What's a Dremel?

OMGeee!!! :jawdrop:

well, for my first post in a thread other than mine :blush: .... i post HERE!

this mod is A-MA-ZING!!! really. you're an artist, G69T....

i'm very impressed by your skills on a CNC.

but.... can we still call that a "MOD"???? it's a "chef d'oeuvre"!

keep the good job!

(suscribe. :hip: )

17. the bean

the bean What's a Dremel?

g'dammit, you got me all excited there was an update.... grrrr!
    :)

18. blue_lawnchair

blue_lawnchair What's a Dremel?

Just amazing work here. I just love the persision of CNC machines.

19. praetor coda

praetor coda What's a Dremel?

There is a reason why the username is called "lucidity" it's gotta be some serious meds to make him lucid enough to put in his nonsensical two cents. You have got to be out of yo' mind to put down G69T's hard work and dedication to detail. A great American whose work preceeds him, once said,"invention is 90% perspiration and 10% inspiration" this could also be true for design. So by transmission, mathematically speaking of course, this cancels out lucidity's, "80% of the machine doing the work "logic". I am the first man on this planet who is a proponent for truly hand made, hardwork blood, sweat and tears that achieves methodical precision with just hand tools, emphasis on hand tools, but designing, much like comedy, is hard. you can't just dish out a workpiece and not think of it's aesthetic, the devil is in the details, boys. I have to say what a hell of a job G69T does with his brain droppings. So you want to down play the use of machine tools to do most of the work, which is basically an extension of one's hand, put down your dremels, electric power tools, this is also including light bulbs, use a candle and do a case mod as G69T's and then talk. If you were to go to these exhibits/ conventions and see all of these scratch built case mods how would you know it would be G69T's? because as everyone in this forum would know...it has his PERSONAL touch by design. know what it is to talk of personalization or you just might come off as...well, let me just quote another great American, " A man who represents himself[in a court of law] has a fool for a client", oooh, works on so many levels. :dremel: yeah right :hehe:

20. leviathan18

leviathan18 What's a Dremel?

80% machine work this guy has serius troubles the detail of each piece is awesome the design is 100% made by him and the skills are 100% of him so i would say 90% g69t work and the other 10% the machines....

this is far the best case ever