1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Dark Blade by G69T

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G69T, 30 Nov 2004.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Even the Disks vibrate sidewards, the vibration will be absorbed with this system, because the whole part, which holds the disks ist attached using the springs. So there will be no vibration forwarded to other parts :wallbash:

2. olle

olle What's a Dremel?

The springs should make ot pretty sturdy but not too sturdy, just so the small vibrations doesnt notice, but not so slack it makes the drives to svivel...
    Most certainly the most advanced hdd suspension on the web!!
    Great job man!!! Your employer must be proud to have u in their company...

3. maritorena

maritorena What's a Dremel?

:baby: hello ..G69T...

:clap: you is a pro of the modding, you is a maitre :rock: in the tuning you is our maitre :dremel: has all, you very makes us réver by your small aluminum parts; I CHEER says to you :thumb:

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

There is no problem with that. Although a free moving harddisk will adversely affect seek times, we are talking about a few milliseconds compared to a rigidly fixed harddisk. Many harddisks nowadays are pretty quiet in operation anyway, so this suspension system is a bit over-engineered. But that is part of the whole look of the device... :)

5. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

How does whether the disk is fixed or not increase seek times?

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Seagate produced a white paper on reducing HDD noise by using rubber suspension systems, and got low noise but small increases in seek time as the data occasionally had to be read twice (error correction kicked in), no big deal really.

But the hard members of the Silent Brigade (and Antec's P150 case) use rubber bands no problem. TBH I wouldn't expect metal springs to be as good for noise reduction at the frequencies involved.

7. dutchcedar

dutchcedar What's a Dremel?

The hard drive rack is great stuff, Dark Blade... :thumb:

As to its effectiveness... me thinks its effectively mind boggling... :hip:

8. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

if you want to get techincal:

your system is underdamped, and thus will take a longer time to settle after its step input. To solve this you need to increase the size of your dashpot (stiffness of springs in this case). Idealy you would want a Critically Damped System (where the output rises to the desired level quickly, but does not over shoot the desired level)

if you want me to post the equasions on how to calculate this, just ask :p ah the joys of studying a Cybernetics Module!

Love the case by the way :)

9. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

did anyone understand this? or am i just an idiot?

plz explain

10. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

you're right just once ;-)

Yes I understand, no you're not an idiot!!
    By using some dificult formulas it can be calculated that different parameters have influance on the vibration of an object on a spring. Weight of the object is one, strength is another one, material (rubber or metal spring) is a third.

If I hang a 1 kilo object on a suspensionspring of a car it will stop vibrating sooner as if I would hang the same object on a spring out of RC model. Vibrations have influanse on the working and cause sound. The sooner an object hangs still, the more power is on it, the sooner it stops making noise anymore.

GuardianStorm offers to deliver the ideal parameters for this system (springstrength, springsorth etc.)

11. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

jesus... why not just isolate a magnetic levatation system.

this design is just overwhelming. keep up the good work, its already showing its worth :rock:

12. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

because computers don't like big magnets...

13. trati629

trati629 Can I Fix It? :$ Well Yes??

And the magnet need would be huge and the power that the magnet would consume (it have to be an electromagnet) would power a hole town/city for a week (they can only just surspend a object the size of a 10p for a very short space of time) so it would be a little inpractical. and also as soon as u trunned the magnet on the hdd would be wipped and the pc would fail to boot up. :duh:

14. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Absolute BS

Nice work G69T

15. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

hardrives dont liek big magnets :rolleyes:

and that is b*ll*cks. you can suspend a hardrive off of 4 magents, one on each corner. ive done it :thumb:

nice work G69T as always. cant wait to see it all togehter :D

16. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

Actually adding stiffer springs will only increase the force/frequency of the oscilations and you can never reach critical damping that way. You need to increase the damping ratio by adding friction (ie dampers). Also in mechanical systems its not always best to have a criticaly damped system as this can increase stress on the system. Imagine having a criticaly damped car suspension system.
    i understood, but then i do Mechanical systems engineering at uni so don't feel bad about it

17. modster

modster What's a Dremel?

if you assume the spring to be prefectly linear, increase stiffness will do nothing but increase k. To get a critically damped system, you need a dashpot. As TheoGeo mentioned, it can be friction in this case. One thing i dont understand is why you dont want a critically damped system if your goal is to eliminate vibration.

18. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

a criticaly damped system is a system in which it reaches the steady state as fast as possible without overshoot right? well if the step input is initial movement then a criticaly damped system will quickly reach that possition then stop moving and so mimicing the vibration. It is much better to have a system that doesnt respond as quickly and so if you have a step in one direction then a quick step back (as you would with vibration) the whole thing is ignored or you only get a small movement.

19. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

where 2 get aluminum

this is an awsome mod. It is just oozing awsomeness.
    By the way g69t, where do you get your aluminum?? I want to make my own case, but i don't have no aluminum.
    Thnks :D

20. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Surely a hard drive, that uses magnets in its general function would not like the interference from another magnet...

Last edited: 11 Jun 2006