1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dark lines on LCD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Moriquendi, 28 Feb 2008.

1. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Ive got a bit of a problem with my 20" dell. Im using it as a secondary display while Im working in CAD so as well as having stuff like firefox and itunes on it has the toolbars for Inventor, it seems that the borders of the toolbars are having a residual effect when I switch to other windows and are leaving dark lines down the screen. In itself its not too bad, I dont really use that screen for anything where it would matter but I am concerned that they may become more and more perminent which could be a problem if I ever want to sell the screen.

Does anybody know whether they are likely to become perminent? any methods to remove them? or any way to prevent them forming in the first place?

A couple of other pieces of info:

The screen is in portrait format so the lines which are vertical on my screen would be horizontal if the screen were in the normal orientation.

The lines are more pronounced against a dark background and almost invisible against pale colours.

The toolbar borders are black.

Any help is much appreciated.

Moriquendi

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

3. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Interesting article doug.

I like the way they refuse to use the word "burn" at any point; opting instead for "image persistence" :)

Not sure about using a 100% white image to remove the effect though. It sounds like an attempt to 'burn out' the 'burn in' to me.

4. DougEdey

It is.

The other way to do it is to use a dead pixel remover tool which effectively does the same thing but the burn in generally is on the protective layer.

Edit: To prevent it just jiggle the toolbars every now and again by a pixel or two. That's one of the reasons I like GIMP the tools are constantly shifting to suit the image I am working on.

5. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I may end up having to do that but it only takes five minuets to cause the burn in so I would end up having to do it pretty often.

Ive just switched from my favorite dark theme to a much paler one and that seems to reduce the effect, its still forming lines where there are dark colours within the icons however. Its starting to look like this is just something ill have to live with.

Thanks for the responses.

Moriquendi

6. DougEdey

If it causes five minutes to cause the burn in, I'd suggest turning the brightness/contrast down.

7. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

I have a similar problem with my 24", though i've found it's more the heat, on codl days it doesn't do it, and it only 'burns' the part of the monitor thats the hottest (near the top on mine) They've always gone when it's been left to cool down though.

RwD

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

^likewise. I have a fairly cheap monitor (v7) that always gets a dark patch to the top right after its got warm. It goes away when I turn the screen off though.

Tags: