1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DarkWater SpaceShip - First Prize winner!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Kumo, 10 May 2005.

1. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Going on with other update.

i`ve already started with the hull modifications. You saw the cuts, and here`s the first piece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Is being welded with araldit. I need to create and make at least other three pieces only for the sides.

In add i`m seriously thinking in the front bezel... And i`m reviewing all the concept of the case to give to it more "punch". Moving it to sort of Space freighter or some kind of..

[​IMG]
    While welding, time for a little test... It`s alive!!

When i`ll have all pieces in the hull welded together, i`ll need to learn how to use bondo to flat all surfaces and strenght the case.

I need some feedback, so thanks for the comments.

Watch for more.

2. CaPs_On

CaPs_On What's a Dremel?

That looks cool, whould be cool with some blue acryl or what you are using on the side with the waterblock. Like the thing you have in the front if you understand:):)

3. matrixops

matrixops What's a Dremel?

Excellent SFF case mod.

Very clean.

Matrixops

4. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Yes, thx, but no windows planned this time.

5. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Today`s update

More pieces on the hull and front.

[​IMG]
    The other side.

[​IMG]
    One more piece in the desing. 3 for each side.

[​IMG]
    Last piece. Lots of araldit will needed to weld all together. And cuts, sanding and bondo to flat the surfaces.

While Araldit dries, back to the front. I`ve moved to the Spaceship concept.

[​IMG]
    You say puzzle...??

[​IMG]
    "space plates" cutted...

[​IMG]
    A new front. Now the LIS bay plate is the bridge for the ship.

More updates soon!

6. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Sorry for no update the post, but i`m in a slow phase: wiring, sleeving, planning, more wiring... Soon i`ll upload more pics.

I want to finish the chasis and electronic part before back with the hull, the slowest part. Thesedays i`ve testing the system (with the intense Doom 3 expansion hehehe..) Maye it runs a little hot for me, but in summer its dificult get good temps with 30c or more in a room.

7. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

take your time and do a good job! - actually you have inspired me to make my own ssf. Except not as small as yours... :D Looking forward to the update!

8. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Thanks! Slowly, but i'm progressing.

Good, I want to see your new project.

9. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Updates!!

[​IMG]
    Remember this?

[​IMG]
    My first "bondo" (Prestolith) works, first coat... I`m taking my time to get a good finish. I hope it end well. While that...

Time to some test:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Doom 3: RoE, test... Untill end hehehe.

The blue light of the pics above comes from the Sumbeam Molex light in the GPU Plug and others.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I also put a Revoltec anti-vibrations joint in the fan.

Wiring works:

[​IMG]
    A Sumbeam mini-baybus...

[​IMG]
    ...Stripped...

[​IMG]
    ...and modded to fit in the shuttle little room. I removed three plugs to bend the connectors and allow more space for wiring.

[​IMG]
    Instaled device.

[​IMG]
    Part of the wiring done. I still have to find a solution for the front port connector. Enought for now, more wiring in the last stages of the project.

[​IMG]
    Transformed sata plugs (one of two) in one molex for the DVDrom. I left the orange wire, maybe later will need a reconversion.

Control panel (first stage):

I`ve decided to make a external control panel for the case. No buttons on the front or rear this time.

[​IMG]
    With this Midi/joystick strip cable i get enought wires in one conector for power and reset buttons, light switches, etc...

[​IMG]
    Soldering works... Solder and summer... hot modding?? :)

[​IMG]
    I`ll put the connector in the rear slot lock.

More updates soon.

10. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

I am curious about the space plates, and what they are going to look like. nice idea on stripping the sunbeam bay-bus.

11. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Thanks! When i`ll finish the bondo and modeling work, start with the paint.
    It`s my first work on this field of modding. I`ve done models and miniatures, but this is diferent...

12. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Updating a little:

Follow the work with the... "docking bay"??

[​IMG]
    The idea

[​IMG]
    Painting the lock

[​IMG]
    And installing it...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Done. I also painting the spare rear slot cover in black with metal dry brushing.

[​IMG]
    Ah! Don`t forget to make a scheme of the wiring position and poles.

Meanwhile in the front...

[​IMG]
    A first sandding to view an approach of the work. Need more bondo an lots of sanding.

More soon

13. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Well... Updating and new ideas for the control panel... Read all before kick my ass! XD

First i think in a front bevel control panel, then i changed the design, and then changed again for a outter one... And now i`m gonna change it again... but don`t worry this is the last change about this. The Fact is than this time i don`t go for a new concept at all, a "minor" change instead.

I explain it:
    A starship need good controls, isn`t? And i`m going to use a midi/joystick port for connections... well, instead a porject box to hold buttons, i`ve moved to this:

[​IMG]
    My new control panel. And i think this is the first time for a project like this. My faithful Mechwarrior 3 mate, Trust Predator Lite. It has 5 buttons, but i`ll need only 2 or 3.

[​IMG]
    ...With the help of theese to create a new concept of control panel, in PC modding... Not for planes :)

[​IMG]
    Stripped joystick. Its days of playing has finished.

[​IMG]
    2 lighted on/off switches for gadgets...

[​IMG]
    2 Keys for secure power and reset operations...

[​IMG]
    And 2 Momentary buttons for power and reset

If you are wondering about joystick itself buttons... The answer is still in my mind. I`ll left the trigger and small buttons, but not functional still... later we back to theese.

[​IMG]
    Last minute idea: USB cable for easy device connections. Remember i removed the ports in the front.

[​IMG]
    About Fighter style switch: This is the base without the red cap, while i`m welding/gluing it to the joystick with Pattex product. I removed the big center button, in this place i`m going to put the control speed for the fan in the case.

[​IMG]
    Bondo for all! Take a look at the front bevel, its almost ready for paint, some sanding and modeling left

More Updates soon.

14. Muon

Muon What's a Dremel?

I'm back (scary huh?) and definetly watching this mod ^^;

15. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

thats nice. I would love to do a shuttle mod.

16. Hazchem

Hazchem Minimodder

very nice indeed, custom waterblock is beautiful! good luck with this, though you seem very skilled so I am unsure if you need it!

17. kLLr

kLLr What's a Dremel?

Lol, ur story makes me wanna mod my old joystick into a usb-hub. :hehe:

Very nice project, i like the way its all coming down.

Maybe this has been asked before, sorry in advance, but will u be doing any lighting?

18. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Thanks to all for the comments. I think the next update will be this week.

Kllr@ It will have some minor lights with leds. No windows this time (and no extra space for cathodes hehe)

19. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

I work better with an target in my head (i`m not a profesional hostage hehehe... new updates, worst jokes...). I have a couple of LANs in just few days, so i`ve resumed the job with more energies.

[​IMG]
    The painful wiring of the controls. i`ve had to strip all part to pass through the wires.

[​IMG]
    ...And then mount all again. Also you can see the cable to the PC unit, soldered and sleeved.

[​IMG]
    The front. worked, sanded, primed, more detailed and sanded and primed again. I `ve used Duplicolor primer for plastic that is transparent.

[​IMG]
    With the COM dome presented. Its the housing for power and HD leds and if you remember i maked it form 2 plastic pieces from an Antec Sonata and the black painted some faces. Today i`ll buy the paint and i hope to finish it quick thank to the experience with thr Intranquility project (same paint and similar look)

[​IMG]
    I also began the bondo and decoration works in the hull. The marks are guides for plating, cut and others.

More soon.

20. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

omg nice case so far