1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

data security - safe deposit box media

Discussion in 'General' started by TJK, 16 Apr 2006.

1. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Go for the HD or even the large USB drives, CD's and DVD's just seem too impractical and their life span is shorter aswell, clear choice?

2. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

HDD would be the best or USB sticks.

RAID setup would be more practical and then you could change the HDD over every 1/2 yrs and your data would be backed up properly, you would have a working backup aswell a backup from 1/2yrs.

If the backup drive were to fail in your safe deposit box then not all the backup would be lost as you would still have your working backup.

Regards
    GiGo

3. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

As I already sed, I agree that a HDD is the best choice.
    1. You can change and add data as you please
    2. Cheap
    3. Very long lifespan

Negative point
    1. Very vulnerable to any damage. Dropping it could damage data or even kill it.
    2. Very vulnerable to a magnetic field.
    3. Very vulnerable to heat (in case of fire, lol).

I would go with a usb/firewire external hdd, because then you would only need one trip to the bank.

I think the second option is a DVD.
    1. Ideal for large amounts of data that stay the same, or that you only ADD data too.
    2. Ideal for smaller amounts of data that change now and then. You could then even recall an older version of the data..
    3. Can take 'dropping' etc..
    4. Cheap
    5. Long lifespan in good, dark conditions.
    6. Only need 1 trip to the bank to add a dvd to the box..

So the DVD does have some advantages. But still I think a HDD is just the obvious choice for this.

PS: For what reason does it need to be in a safe deposit box?

L

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I would guess to protect it all in case his house burns down (most safe's are only fireproof for ~30 mins or something, so it's not certain if it'll survive).

5. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I would also go with a HDD. Or if you have the money try to get hold of those 32 GB flash chips :rock: with those you would be on the safe side!

6. McKaamos

McKaamos What's a Dremel?

A HDD will take fire longer than a DVD... DVD's melt, HDD's dont, except for the circuitboard, but thats replaceable.
    And in rest state, a HDD can take up to 300G's (300 times its own weight in impact force), so you can drop it, and it wont die on you.

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

True, but with a side note... The 300G is along a specific axis. If you drop it in an other way you might get a physical head crash, and that is no good.

But I don't see the fuss about dropping it... HD's have proven reliable in external cradle's and laptop for years. And it's not like you're going to play baseball with a HD full of precious data, that you're going to store in a safe deposit box.

Not so sure about that when they aren't working (not reading/writing), since HD's have their own faraday's cage... (the HD body itself) I guess the data corruption comes from the magnetic field influencing the circuit board when there are read/write operations. And then again, the safe deposit box wil most likely contain a lot of steel, so that is a faraday's cage once again.

8. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Well in dutch a safe is actually called ' Firebox ' (roughly translated). The first point of them is to protect its contents in case your house burns to the ground. So I reckon it will last.

On the 'dropping' thing. I would rather throw a dvd out the window then a hdd. Moving a non-working hdd fast doesn't harm it, its the impact that will move the writing heads and possible damage data.

On the magnetic field. I was worried, if your bank has a metal detector when u go in the safe, it could damage the data. Or am I completely wrong about this?

L

9. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

tape.

50 years data retention easy. they can take a right battering as well.

the only down side to them is cost.