1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 19 Mar 2010.

1. NethLyn

NethLyn Member

30 notes, Centy-Face? I've seen it down to £18 at Amazon recently, probably building up to an Easter deal.

Even though I'm enjoying it especially in Co-op, I'm just glad that someone bought this for me as a gift, if I'd spent my own money I would have been hacked off at how short it was, even if I'd got the cheaper price I found.

When it comes to remarkable standalone expansions I still can't think of a better example than Supreme Commander Forged Alliance, its new SP campaign lasts up to 36 hours if you play for every objective, and you can play through with three of the 4 races and the 4th in MP. That's three years ago now though.

2. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

We've covered the multiplayer aspect of DoW 2 extensively in the past, first with a look at the beta, then in the original review, then in a blog post, and then some news posts. I've played the game extensively online too, in both Last Stand and online multiplayer throw downs (although I always prefered CoH's MP for its lack of GFWL)

I myself am a huge, huge Relic fan, but adding as extra race into a game without breaking it shouldn't be seen as some enormous triumph (although it is nice for balance). I get the feeling you keep this game close to your heart and that's fine, but its important to keep perspective; Company of Heroes is by far my favorite game of the last decade, but it didn't stop me dumping all over Tales of Valor. In the same way, is adding an extra race to the multiplayer really that commendable? If they'd added Chaos and the Tyranids, with campaigns for both and a genuinely new multiplayer mode, then we'd be talking a fantastic addition. As it is CR is pretty by the numbers - very capable and loving made no doubt, but hardly earthshaking.

3. oMonarca

oMonarca Elitist Brick

Well, although a new race in an assymetric game is a pretty big deal, I do agree that by itself doesn't make the expansion a must have. However, no mention was made about the uniqueness of Chaos on the review - the shrines, the high adaptability of the new race, etc, nor the impact on the resulting metagame. Neither was any mention made about TLS new heroes.

From a glance, your review states more of the same, and the same is good, if not innovating. I would agree with this, if in previous reviews I found that same line of reasoning being applied. But I see some games get such huge praise from bit-tech - something along the lines of "Yes! They have done it again and it's awesome!", and then an expansion comes that hits all the same notes but gets "oh, it's fun, just not super exciting".

Like I said, I'm going to wait and read Awakening's review. And then some others. I won't bother readers with this subject anymore, since I think I've made my stance clear and want to spare you the boredom of my rants.

Best regards and the hope of the continuation of a great work, even if it's a bit too attached to the way how film critics review their stuff. At least for my liking. A game goes beyond the emotion and fun it brings.

4. TWeaK

TWeaK Member

@Joe - I'm a bit disappointed. The first good expansion that came to mind for me was Balder's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal :p

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Not played it. I'm still doing The Baldur's Gate challenge (it's hard when you get distracted by other great games, like Mass Effect 2!"). I'm right at the very end of the first game, having done the first (lacklustre) expansion pack. I've played BG2 before a dozen times, so I'll be able to burn right through that soon enough though.

6. TWeaK

TWeaK Member

Make sure you find all the pantaloons and keep them safe!

7. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i actually love this game more than the first one (except its actually abit shorter)

here's my take:
    1. ur (occasionally) forced to mix ur selected squad on various mission, meaning u need to micro-manage a bit better and having an overall more balanced squad. no more "oh crud, this mission needs some stealth and i havent touch cyrus for the last 5 missions, now he's using crappy armor and i have to learn how to assign the 8 points he got now" scenario. u need Thaddeus? all ready. need Jonah? pick him up. but it does need u to spend a tad more time between EACH mission.
    2. u can import ur campaign from the first one. this is a bliss. of course terminator not gonna b available right off the bat, but if u grab all the optional missions, before u get access to ur old ones, chances are u'd pick up few better ones anyway.
    3. moral decisions: i agree seems like chaos cant seem to differentiate evil and inept, but trying ur best to stay "pure" becomes an added level difficulty and it became more satisfying to achieve them (altho not rewarded with better gears - usually). not every decision in a game should be rewarded bountifully. so overall on thsi point, i somewhat disagree with Joe here.
    4.little tweaks like better icons, more controlled voiceover dialogs, etc., makes this a worthy expansion in my opinion.
    5. whats with more bosses who dies get a cutscene BUT they actually drop some blue nice tools - which u cant click/grab becoz once its down it immediately goes to cutscene??? wth?

last but not least
    6. now im more excited than ever with the upcoming warhammer40k MMO........
    if they can implement all the working element on this RTS game into that MMO, it will be so very indescribably awesome. just pure awesome-ness.
    like, squad-based focus, balanced melee and ranged combats, awesome drop gears but not overpowering, high level of customization, and great story. that in an MMO? awesome-ness.

oh, i forgot,
    7. if u import ur old campaign (i dunno bout starting a new fresh one) u can reset all of ur old squad's points. ALL of them.
    no more trying to balance out a char coz u dont have access to new squad members, only to shift the focus later on. u start fresh, and can mold ur awesome squad however u want it. so good.
    u can reset only once tho, but its enough anyway.

red's score: 9/10. must play if ur an RTS fan. must try if ur a Warhammer fan.

8. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper New Member

They've been playable in multiplayer since DoW 1 actually ;)

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Doom 1 had five Cyberdemons. Doom 2 had... five Cyberdemons. You fail, epicly.

10. Hovis

Hovis New Member

[SPOILER WAAAAAAAAAAARNING]

At the end of the game the stage is pretty much set for a return to a more orthodox, or at least recognisable, Dawn of War campaign. All the major factions seem to be lining something up, the commander is now a captain and thus will have an entire company at his disposal.

[SPOILER OVER!]

The Imperial Guard look to be fully implemented barring vehicles in this game, they have assault squads and heavy weapons squads and so on, so I guess they are on their way soon. There are a couple of mentions of the Sisters of Battle which might suggest they are on the way (with all the corruption flying around it wouldn't be a bad idea if they did show up). I think really they are just the inclusion of the Imperial Guard away from having the essentials covered in the game and after that they'll have to move on to the crumbier species like Tau and Necrons and Dark Eldar that stunk so fiercely in the last game.

Tags: Add Tags