1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dawn of War II: Retribution Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 2 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat New Member

2. bob_lewis

bob_lewis Lurker extraordinaire

What about Last Stand? I've resisted playing the beta...

3. BRAWL

BRAWL Well-Known Member

You have made a very powerful enemy today...

Gonna drop into this game asap and lose myself in the wonderful bloodlust of Space Marines for a little while me thinks. Only thing I was concerned about was the IG having 1000 soldiers and the Space marines having 4 and it being a wee tad over-powered

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

You've confirmed my worst fears about this game. When I heard "single player campaign for each race - oh, and there are six of them" I knew instantly that it was going to be nearly impossible to have a proper campaign. The best I was expecting was a slightly more story-driven version of Dark Crusade or Soulstorm. Which were good, but got on my nerves eventually with what was essentially endless skirmish missions.

5. kiwik

kiwik New Member

For those who would like to learn how to play in multiplayer, GameReplay has started a mentoring community with it's own website.

http://www.projectl2p.com/

6. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

This is also the most interesting part for my long-term care factor as well. How much has changed/what have they done with it?

The rest of the game is *shrug* in my opinion. Controlling the units single-player was too unwieldy and difficult in the DoW2 and Chaos Rising and it didn't improve much with co-op so making it a little more forgiving with more units is fine imo.

Shame they didn't cut half the races and then polish say 3 campaigns and knock a bit of the price and release the other 3 polished in another pack with reduced price. Better model imo if there is enough quality content.

7. BRAWL

BRAWL Well-Known Member

8. Denis_iii

Denis_iii New Member

I thoroughly enjoyed DOW2 so will definitely pick this up when there is a half price deal as to me its not a new game meerly an expansion.

9. Woollster00

Woollster00 New Member

Last stand information?

10. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

This is true, a few of them races more than the others of course. I just meant, release it with some of the 6 races in this one in 2 separate goes? Then you can use dev time to really make 3 unique campaigns with say orks, SM's, tyranids. Then let people digest those for half a year and make 3 polished campaigns in another expansion for Eldar, IG and Chaos (just for example). That way people get a more quality product, possibly cheaper, and you leave them wanting and waiting for more in the next one.

*bump for last stand info*

Last edited: 2 Mar 2011
  11. Eiffie

Eiffie New Member

Imperial Guard weren't as bad as I thought they were gonna be. Could have been better but not too shabby. The special powers that they get seem a bit under-whelming for all the crazy stuff the other races get. 500 zeal for a two ship bombing run? Granted you can control where it drops the bombs but still, not very flashy compared to that Chaos rift of doom that sucks in every infantry unit and melts them to moosh.

That Land Raider tank with it's massive guns and flamethrowers really makes short work of any base defense turrets though. Destroyed em all in under a minute once you get the dam thing across the map. :) Just park it in-front of an enemy base and say good-bye to it. Same goes for the Baneblade tank, it's a real monster of a unit.

12. dispie

dispie New Member

I was so looking forward to playing my own race Eldar,

but this is kinda a bummer i was really hoping to get into it with story line and all,

Im not a space marine player but the last 2 DOW II really got me into it equipting squads speciallizing to every enemy.

I had rader seen a really battle option were you can play a stratigic battle agains the pc using the rules of 40K of squad deployment and advance.

But i will buy it any ways because i really want to know how my eldar do there so annoying in the previouse parts

13. Instagib

Instagib Well-Known Member

So, my copy arrved this morn. Typically, my rig would be down atm.... gay.

14. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Member

I feel the complete opposite. Last Stand was way too boring and basic. Same waves every time, no levelling, only really standing a chance with certain kit and characters. It was bollocks. After how in depth and awesome the campaign was, I was expecting a lot more. I don't know what changed in CR, or what is changing in Retribution, but I very much doubt it will be enough to make it interesting again.

Frankly, I never had a problem with managing the units in the campaign, and I play solo 95% of the time. Co-op got a little boring in DoW2, since I felt I was spending a lot of time waiting and not controlling. Sure, it gets a little less forgiving on Patriarch, especially solo, but all that does is improve your micro for every other RTS game, so I am quite happy to put in the time.

The changes to the campaign in Retribution caused me to cancel my pre-order after reading this review. It sounds like they have tried to do too much for too many people, and what is left is a mess of badly balanced gameplay.

15. kevbuch

kevbuch New Member

I have to say I am really disappointed with this game. I really loved dawn of war 2 and chaos rising. the story was awesome. I loved the way you get new weapons and so many different armor, but in this one there was only 3 variety of armor for chaos. also I beat the first campaign in less than one day. the story was crap as well, it made no sense and just felt rushed.

I really missed have small units and having choices on who to take on my missions. I just think they messed up and I don't really care to play any other campaigns.

Tags: Add Tags