1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dawn of War: Retribution

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 8 Jan 2011.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Right well since I started this thread I feel slightly responsible for all this Warhammer chit chat, and now feel as though since I've been playing the games for so long I should probably invest some time in the lore. I usually play as Space Marines in the game, can someone recommend me a book to read (bear in mind I'm not that geeky)

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Parge, I would suggest you check out this page: http://www.blacklibrary.com/Getting-Started/New-Reader.html

Pick your race and get started :) If you're near me in London mate, you're welcome to pop round my house and collect ANY of the 40k books that have EVER been published, from my extensive complete library (I'm even talking books that are out of print and never republished and worth hundreds).

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Ph4lanx, that's a great offer!

Parge, I'd suggest the Angels of Darkness novel. Good read about the fall of the Dark Angels Space Marines. Also, pop into a Games Workshop, those guys are pretty welcoming. Oddly, the rule books can make interesting reads as they're also littered with lore and explanations of how the weapons work.

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

5. Phalanx

Yep, it uses Steamworks. No problems integrating into Steam.

6. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Honestly... if you're looking to fall into Lore.

The Horus heresy

best starting point

7. Phalanx

I hate to disagree, BRAWL, but it really isn't.

The current position in 40k is better as a starting point. It's harder to follow the Horus Heresy, especially considering it's not going to be finished for years to come still. Reading up on how the 40k universe works in its current setting is a better start, and will give people the background they are most familiar with.

Stepping back through history in the background is a much more difficult step, as you will invariably want to know what said person is like now (ie. in 40k as opposed to 30k). Stepping back and forward 10,000 years is harder than people think it is in terms of reading, and I have often seen people confuse the two periods completely and had to help them unravel their own thoughts.

I would seriously suggest Parge, that you start in the 40k era and read about the Horus Heresy once you learn some more about the current situation. You will get more from the universe that way.

8. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Actually, I totally disagree. I started The Horus Heresy without ANY past knowledge of 40K at all. It gives the entire basis as to why The Imperium is the way it is. i think with the basis up until Mechanicum you can understand why things are the way they are :)

But each to their own chap!

9. Phalanx

Parge was looking for something he can relate to the game. Horus Heresy is not a good starting point :)

10. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

haha, but there is no shallow end to 40K... it's "I'll just read one book..." One 40K relevant black library collection later...

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

A few months ago I was given a few boxes of GW stuff (ranging from fantasy Warhammer models (Orcs, Dwarfs & Undead), 2 copies of Blood Bowl (only 1 teams worth of minis though), a few Epic minitures (tanks and so on) and 2 Epic Space Marine Box games (without instructions unfortunately) and a few old school Rogue Trader Space Marine models) which included a few unpainted Squat models. Was tempted to see if I could integrate them somehow into my Fallen DA army.

Don't usually bother with the fantasy Warhammer, but the undead models are pretty handy for modding terrain pieces that I've just started to collect.

12. nukeman8

nukeman8 New Member

If you ever decide to sell ya unpainted squat models let me know pleasey :thumb:

13. Rat1sully

Rat1sully At Least Skt478 Never Broke

right new to this thread and catching up but...

have to say i take the opposite view, can't stand to read a lot of Graham's work can't stand his literary style but Dan's is fantastic his pacing is nearly perfect and his work is a lot more involving

mind you everyone has their own opinion and i could just be venting for how disapointing i found fulgrim

14. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

No worries mate, you'll catch up with us. Or by god The Emperor will own you.

See, I really like Abnett and I really try and love his work, I've only ever had a care for Eisenhorn AND Ravenor though, Gaunt was never a big thing despite how asskickery he was. Legion was AWESOME, but all things Space Marine are.

Fulgrim was a fantastic book, took me a little while to get into, as such I read it a little slower at the same time to make sure I got all the details. The eventual fate of Fulgrim is potentially one of the worst in 40K in my eyes.

15. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

Is this a good time to jump into DoW2? I loved the first one, played the demo of DoW 2 and really liked it but just never got round to buying it.

Now I've got the fear that the game is quite old now and online just won't have the same presence it did at it's peak.

16. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Can always find games online mate

DoW2 is fantastic.

17. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Well-Known Member

DoW2 is very good in my opinion, a move away from DoW1, but not ina bad way. i like the RPG style to it.

Currently waiting to do the last mission in the DoW2 campaign, just want to level everyone up on some defence missions and optional missions to get some nice gear. Then it's on to Chaos Rising. Should be finished in time for the MP Beta :D

18. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Thats disgraceful times... Any Space Marine should have finished his crusade now! ;)

19. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Well-Known Member

I have racked up a buttload of defence missions. I try to find the time in the evenings when I can after PhD and farm work :p Usually do about 2 or 3 missions a day.

I know there is a legendary Plasma Cannon in there somewhere and it will be mine!

20. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

To google you go :p I'm a Plas whore aswell...

PhD? You're studying like a human... you should know all there is about war by now.