1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dawn Of War: Winter Assault

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mookboy, 2 Oct 2005.

1. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Just picked this up last night and it's just as good as the original game was. This time round it's Imperial Guard as the main force, and just as you might expect if you know anything about the Warhammer 40k universe, they're a very different prospect to the Space Marines.

Full of nice little touches: add a Commissar to a Guard squad and you can inspire greater deeds from them by having him execute one - WW2 Russian army style; you can add a psyker to your commander squad, but the randomly explode from a build up of psychic energy; like Warcraft, the random voice samples are superb; and the fact you can now turn on/off corpses and craters means your battlefields can look incredible with mounds of corpses in choke points.

The graphics look slightly nicer, and it certainly seems to run more smoothly (the first game was a bit of a hog). I'm really looking forward to playing this online.

Anyone else get this?

2. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Yeah I got this the other day and I'm very impressed. Gotta love dead bodies scattered all over the battlefield!
    I like the subtle changes too, no longer can you have 1 squad armed with all 4 weapon types. You need to have a combination of troops and armour to have a significant impact.

3. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I just wish they'd managed to incorporate the Squat troops (is this showing my age?). Space dwarves in otherwords, who look like stunted hells angels on gun-toting motorbikes and buggies.

4. EarlGrey

EarlGrey What's a Dremel?

Sshhh! You're not supposed to talk about the Squats anymore! They're gone and NEVER coming back!
    There are so many mods offering different races though, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mod for the Squats.

Anyway, my brother got the game, and it certainly looks impressive. I was going to get it, but for £25 it seems a bit much, so I'll sit it out until it goes to around £15 (I got Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil for £10!).

5. mUrml

mUrml What's a Dremel?

I only got the demo, and as far as I've tried it, it seems really cool. Looking forward to getting the original.

Tags: