1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors dB limit?

Discussion in 'General' started by maki43, 14 Aug 2003.

1. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

After 11pm whats the dB limit which is acceptable? Or is it just a case of shutting up?

I was just wondering cuz a friend of mine has a sound system in a car and he was curious.

2. VadimtheConqueror

VadimtheConqueror I love the little tacos...

there's probably an acctual number limit, but really it's just common sense. if the noise is loud enough to piss of the neighbours, turn it down. i kind of want to move to a house because in an apartment, the neighbours are on the other side of the wall, so i cant listen to my music very loud at night, even when i'm home alone.

3. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

It's generally just a case of 'being quiet' after 11pm. If it's loud enough for the neighbours to complain (provided they're regular people) then it's too loud.

Bear in mind that even a loud TV can be too loud, so an ICE system is usually too loud already if you can hear it outside the car.

If he wants to play it loud, an acceptable suggestion is that he does it on the Motorway or goes and finds a field to play it in.

4. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

legally though you can have it quite loud before it is "illegal". My dad has played gigs where people have complained and the council have come down with a decibel meter, stood right in front of the stage and said that the music is not too loud

5. Byron C

Byron C And now a word from our sponsor

Hrm, I dunno about the whole "if it's loud enough to annoy, turn it down" approach... I listen to music really really loud at home and to me, it isn't loud... So I find it quite hard to find a volume level that everyone else will find acceptable.

I really must find out the legal limit..

6. samuelellis

samuelellis New Member

tbh its common sense

most of you know that i turn my hifi up to stupid levels durign the day but after 9pm it gets turned donw to a qiet level

the same with my car hifi

yep late at night your on dodgy ground if it can be audiable or you cna feel the bass outside the car

/me goes round filling the inside of my car with dynamat

7. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Personally, I only use my system at vol 28 when I'm on the open road, when I come into town I drop it to about 18 (barely noticable outside) or if it's night time about 12.

Also, Moooving to Motors ;)

8. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Speaking as someone who's lived surrounded by students.. I personally think that 'too loud' is if I can hear it over my TV or own music. At night, if I can hear it at all.

Now, if someone is having a party or something fine, I'll let them off.. but there's no need to listen to music *really* loud every day with no consideration for your neighbours.

The same goes with car music; if you're going down the motorway or deserted A-Roads, have it up as loud as you like. If you're going down a residential street in the middle of the night then just have a little consideration.. the downside of course is that if you're doing it in the middle of the afternoon, everyone just thinks you're a nob.

9. samuelellis

samuelellis New Member

& you confirm it by wearign the baseball cap

deserted roads i whack it up, but as soon as i hit ares where there are a lot of people down goes the music & up go the windows

& when i drive down my street, i already ahve the unit off & the secuirty card out before i park up

this is the only problem with car audio, the iamge of it is the spotty kevin in a knackered car with some sony xplod subs in the boot

10. micb

micb Active Member

With ICE and cars it seem totally up to the Police and Envirnoment agency, some times it can be if they can hear the music outside the car then it is too loud.

Due the the very long wave lengths of Bass it can can travel pritty far, as I have said before one car I worked on with the windows rolled down we could hear the bass clearly 300 ft away.

I have crused in some pritty damn loud cars before, we exersise discression late at night and around people homes.

11. samuelellis

samuelellis New Member

i like my current system, when your drivign along it is really loud but as you begin to slow down it gets quieter & quieter & when you come to a stop it is a nice level so i satisfy my urge for loud music & dotn ahve to remember to turn it down :D

12. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

the key is to have a pre-organized known event.... whenever there's going to be a large gathering of cars around my area, generally, I'll apply for a right to assemble, so the cops know there'll be a huge crowd, and generally they dispatch one or two just to keep an eye on things...

if you give them the heads up for stuff like that around here, they're really cool about it

13. andrew

andrew New Member

I think its 65db, including exhaust noise

14. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

lol I found that sentence pretty funny...I know what you mean but it just almost an oximoron....

15. -Rx-

-Rx- New Member

Exhaust can go upto 97db, so i dont know where you got that from..,......

16. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Don't think we have that in the UK.

Unfortunatly the police here ain't that nice...

Cars? Music? People? Fun? WE CAN'T HAVE THAT, QUICK SHUT IT DOWN!

17. micb

micb Active Member

I went to a 30-40 car audio meet in lieciester on Satuaday, all was fine no police, no trouble, it was loads of fun, but the meet had a strict no no messing about, no burnouts it is that that police dislike.

We had bass in the mid/high 150 DB's and there was no problem.

18. samuelellis

samuelellis New Member

& i am still gutted i didnt get to go :(:waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah:

19. micb

micb Active Member

It is a real shame you missed it.

There is another meet on Sunday 14th September at Lakeside shopping center it looks to be good.

If you wanted to go you could drive down to mine (much less distance) then we could go down the to the meet in my car.

It would save you a fair bit of driving.

20. samuelellis

samuelellis New Member

yea, i am kickign myself i missed it but atm i ahve put a ban on unessercary driving to save money & im gonna t least ahve a decent hifi before i go to any car shows

dod you manage to get int he XXX demo carsa van tho?

Tags: