1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware DDR4: What we can Expect

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Aug 2010.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes, Windows Kernel uses the memory you give it. It's because you've disabled the prefetching that works with the kernel - this is why you're waiting. You can't cut an arm off them question why someone is swimming poorly :p

I agree about NTFS, but.. you know, what can you do? It is what it is until MS pulls its finger out and gets on with WinFS *watches pigs fly*. If you like Linux, stick with Linux. :thumb:

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I'm well aware and I agree with what you're saying, but it still doesn't explain why my memory usage in 64 bit windows is so blatantly high even with prefetching and superfetching off.

regarding the poor loading times with the *fetch services off, i'm aware that they dramatically improve loading times, but my point is, if MS didn't bloat everything they made, it shouldn't be a necessity and therefore people waste more money on RAM that they otherwise didn't have to buy. there is no reason i should wait so long for something so simple to load.

heres where I base my thoughts from: my linux setup has many more programs than what windows 7 comes with (good programs), but i'm currently using 3.37gb (not including my home folder). windows 7 ultimate uses about 8GB on a fresh install (i got it down to 6 though). keep in mind KDE (what I'm using) is linux's most memory, cpu, and disk consuming *nix desktop environment. that being said, i just think MS is doing something very very wrong with their programming.

3. Abdul Hadi

Abdul Hadi Technically, I wanna be tim!

Now, that may sound great but, come on!

BRING OUT THE XDR2 ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Why'd you want obscenely expensive RAM?

5. Wingtale

Wingtale What's a Dremel?

People that aren't computer fanatics who are upgrading there computer don't understand this one bit.
    They'll see the price tag and go: "That costs more, it won't be any better, screw it!"

6. idontwannaknow

idontwannaknow What's a Dremel?

8 GB DDR3 1333 mhz for $30 woohoo!

7. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I think the limiting factor at the moment is the memory controllers. S1155 puts s1366 to shame, even with one less memory channel, so there should be more tweaking possiblity there before DDR4 even needs to be considered.

All that being said, APUs (integrated graphics, specifically) eat memory bandwidth for lunch, so on that front, the faster the better!

8. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

That has to be the most poorly reasoned argument, ever.

Hey guys, if car manufacturers removed all that bloat from car engines they'd be much lighter. You know, all that stuff that increases performance, efficiency, reliability and safety.

Last edited: 3 Sep 2011
  9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

God forbid that a piece of software that runs EVERYTHING in your PC should ever consume up to 0.4% of a 2TB hard drive, or in monetary terms, what, 22p worth?

10. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Successful necro is successful.

11. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Damn, I was had :(
    I even went and checked the date of OP, thinking it was odd that I'd originally missed the thread.... month, day... oops.

12. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

I don't really notice the differnce between DDR2 and DDR3 but progress is always good.

Tags: Add Tags