1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Dead Graphics Card?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Uggers, 7 Aug 2012.

1. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

Hi All,

So I think my graphics card might of died. Although I am not 100% sure as sadly I have zero spare parts

to test the various parts to try it.

I've emailed Scan to look at a RMA/Return for a replacement, I'm hoping there's some way I can be sent

a new one prior to release my potential broken on otherwise I'm a tad screwed for work.

Anyway the spec is

Intel Core i5 2500K
    MSI P67A-GD53
    Asus 670 DirectCU II TOP
    8 Gigs of Ram
    HX1050 Corsair PSU

All of a sudden while running some 3D apps the graphics card driver keeps spamming a black screen then

recovering with a windows notification that its crashed
    (Display Driver stopped Responding and has now Recovered)
    At first I assume that just one of those random shitty days where it happens once but it now happens when ever there is any sort of 3D type thing running be it in firefox or in an application or game.

I am also getting little boxes of I guess what looks like static appearing randomly around on the screen and flickering (I assume artifacting?)

and earlier I got a white screen on my deskstop where I ended up with a pattern similar to that windows crash of yesteryear that when you drag a window it leaves loads behind like a paint brush.

So, long story short, does it sound like my cards dieing? Its not even breaking 40/55 degrees C
    Its worked fine for 3 months now, and I haven't done any driver or software install/updates in literatly 4 weeks and its been fine until this evening.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The black boxes pretty much means you either have a bonkered GPU or an overclock that's not working.

3. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

Well I believe it is a bit over-clocked out the box? as its the TOP Version

I tried turning it down to stock values but it didn't seem to have any effect other than the frequency between bouts of crashed dropped by a few minutes but then it still have multiple ones in a row before calming down for 5/15 mins then doing it again.

4. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Could try installing another driver just to rule out software, if it's the same send it back pronto.

When my card finally died I had really bad artifacting even loading the bios and in windows device manager it reported a problem with the card.

5. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

I tried the latest 2 beta drivers and did fresh installs of them but with the same issue.

Seems like ANY 3D or Flash application will set it off now.

6. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Have you tried the drivers that came with the card?

7. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

Yeah I've tried about 4 diff types now including the original.

Managed to find a GTX260 (eww) so I can test rest of my kit at least

8. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

Well just had it crashing and causing Futuremark and Furmark to crash. So I swapped in my GTX 260 and managed to run FurMark for 2 hours with no crash

RMA it is then