1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Dead inverter: worth poking around before ordering new part?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by xinaes, 25 Jan 2015.

1. xinaes

xinaes What's a Dremel?

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 which has been going strong for quite a few years now.

Recently the screen has become dim (almost completely dark - no backlight on at all). External display runs fine - no problem with the GPU. From looking around the 'net and running diagnostic software, it seems that the inverter is at fault. I can order a new one from ebay, but before I do I wonder if it's worth opening up the case and trying to reseat things etc first?

The Dell diagnostic utility came up with one error:
    From what I've read it seems fairly clear cut that fitting a new inverter should fix it (no particular reason to think that the backlight itself is dodgy given that the diagnostic detects an error with inverter). I'm inclined to think it's not worth the hassle to do any more fiddling now and I should just order the part and replace it once it arrives, but any second opinions appreciated.

2. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Personally I'd just order a new one and save yourself the hassle. I don't have any experience with dell myself but only snag I can think is if the error refers to the system being unable to turn the lamp off, could it be the bit that talks to the inverter that's borked? Only way to check that I can think is order that replacement part and see what u end up with. Everytime I've changed a backlight inverter it's always brought said laptop back to life so it's worth a go

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

^^ this, 9/10 replacing the inverter works, with the odd 1 being either board fault or dead backlight

4. xinaes

xinaes What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys!

5. xinaes

xinaes What's a Dremel?

Working fine with the new inverter FWIW. Thanks again.