1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dead Island

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mansueto, 6 Sep 2011.

1. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I was surprised to not find any threads on the main games page. Might be my fault for not using the search but figured since it was just released it would be a hot topic. Has anyone tried it yet? I heard its left for dead meets borderlands. I pre-ordered it yesterday on steam and it unlocked at midnight but due to school I have yet to try it.

Anyone have any opinions about the game yet? I heard there were visual glitches and stuff but despite that the game is a lot of fun. Really looking forward to getting home in a few hours to try it out. Should keep me entertained until NHL 12 and battlefield 3 are out I hope.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Not out over here just yet, 09/09/11 is the date for us. I'm expecting Joe's review in about 36h. :D

3. J!n

J!n That's aperture science

4. mansueto

Haven't had the chance to check it out, I'll be home in aprox. 2 hours so I can finally try it out. I forgot about Skyrim and d3, looking forward to those 2 also!

5. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

7.0 from GameSpot's lovely Jane Douglas.

Despite the relatively low score, she did seem to think it was fun though, and after all, that's what gaming's all about.

6. mansueto

I think the added rpg factor will add to the game. Was a big fan of l4d but never got l4d2 because after a month or so I got really tired of the first. By adding an rpg factor and custom weapons it has a bit more reply value and with 4 player co-op I think it could be very amusing if you try to do things in stupid ways.

7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I don't generally go for zombie games, so I'll wait a bit and see what I think a little later down the line.

8. Brooksie

Brooksie What's a Dremel?

IGN gave it 8.0. Looks good but maybe too much melee for me. Co-op looks good though.
    I'm going to wait until it's on sale at christmas on steam.

9. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

i read a review somewhere and they panned it :/

10. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

that's extremely constructive.... did you consider posting a link to the review?

JTG06 likes this.
  11. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Rep for that mate when I get back to my PC!

12. mansueto

Well I didn't get much time to enjoy the game as its pretty buggy. The default keys decided to change on me so I was unable to strafe until I went to fix it. Not a big issue, I fixed it. Game was very choppy on max settings so I tried turning them down, game looked crappier but felt just as choppy. The movement and actions feel very delayed. Finally, whenever I launch the game I get 2 errors, its happened 3 times in a row and I basically have to wait a good 5 minutes for anything to happen. Finally, the damn mouse sensitivity. In the menus it was fine, but in game it was super sensitive. I adjust to make it lower and now it is crawling in the menus but normal while in game. Also the gamma settings are way off. In the image you adjust on it was far too dark so I brightened it up, than in game it looks like the gamma is turned all the way up. The picture displayed and how it actually applies are completely out of sync.

Apparently they were preparing to release a big patch 1st day but it's been pushed back so they can hear more from the community and can fix the bugs.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

14. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Ah the joys of broadband.

"Sod it, just release it now and we'll just stick out a patch to fix all the stuff we can't be arsed doing now".

15. pingu666

16. pingu666

17. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

That 3rd person animation one is seriously funny.

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

aside from the awesome trailer my gut was screaming of weaksauce when i saw asctual gameplay.

nice to see it wasnt what i ate that morning.

19. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Watched a youtube video of the XBox version lastnight. Looks like Just Cause meets Left for Dead

20. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Eurogamer gave it 6/10. They said it was bug ridden, looked bad and had some idiotic design decisions. How ever if you persevered for long enough it was an alight game if you particularly like killing zombies.

The most notable thing they said is its the exact opposite of the trailer.