1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Dead Laptop?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Voluntary_Pariah, 3 Feb 2009.

1. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

I have / Had a old HP pavillion DV1000 laptop and for some reason it's stopped working :waah:

The problem seems to be related to power. When I plug the laptop into the wall, it don't charge and no lights come on. I can't turn it on either. Thinking that the battery had died on me, I bought (at expensce) a replacement battery. After swapping the battery out the notebook turned on, but still refused to charge, and I had no choise to other to watch my computers power levels drop as I tried to salvage all the CourseWork and personal data off the thing before it died. Which it did. leaving a large volume of important data still "trapped"

I'd rather repair the laptop than just take the hard-drive out, as I've had the laptop a long time, and I love it

HOW IT HAPPENED:
    I lent it to my little sister (who was bed ridden and ill at the time), and when I got back from work, the laptop had stopped working. She says that she had the laptop on her lap (she was sitting in bed) and it suddenly died. No warning other than the "low power" bleep (she just plugged in the charger and carried on).

ANY suggestions would be welcome. If you can narrow the fault down to a single component, and help in locating a replacement part would be MASSIVELY welcome as well.

2. Montyburns

Montyburns What's a Dremel?

I had this happen to me on an old fujitsu laptop I had. Something, a tiny little PCB regulating power, had cooked itself and no power was getting past the power input jack, and as such there was no charging taking place.

A quick google of computer repair places in the area got me in touch with a fella who sorted it, but only temporarily, as about 6 months later the same thing happened again. You might have a better experience though, because it seems like a pretty simple procedure to fix it. Cost me about 80 quid if i remember correctly.

Also, you should impress upon people you lend your laptop to that using it on a non-flat surface isnt a particularily good idea, since it doesnt let airflow in and around the laptop, and, well leads to it baking itself, or at least speeds up the process.

I use a notebook cooler, but used to use a big hard-back book.

3. Montyburns

Montyburns What's a Dremel?

Liking the Mal avatar as well bud! :thumb:

4. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

what can I say. A great show that was killed before it's time :(

So you think that I should get it checked into a repair shop? Would it be cheaper to repair it myself?

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I'd check the fuse in the charger then use a voltmeter on the charger's jack to make sure power is actually flowing that far. The transformer will have it's voltage/amps written on it somewhere, just make sure it's correct.

If the charger is okay, then it's a repair job on the laptop. You might be able to source parts on eBay if you know what you're looking for.

Otherwise, check the laptop's hard drive. If it's the SATA type, you should be able to slave it in your desktop computer and retrieve the data. If it's the older IDE type, you'll need an adapter to do this.

Also, here's service manual:
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00312379.pdf

6. Dark_Master_Dragon

Dark_Master_Dragon Beware of my lair!!!

IDEA!!!!!!!

I just got it now that maybe if ur laptops dead u can sell it XD.

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I'm sorry but I don't get why anybody would buy a dead laptop.

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

No HP laptops have separate regulators at the moment. Some have the input jack on a separate board, though.

I would first of all check if the power adapter is OK. If it is, try wiggling the connector when it's plugged in. Do it slowly, and NOT hard enough to damage the connector. If the charging light come on every now and then it's the input jack that's a bit loose. you could also try to find something and gently try to wiggle the center pin of the charger input. Make sure it's not loose.

If it's loose you MAY be able so solder it back on. Be aware that soldering the connector could be a bit difficult as the board is multi layer.

If that's not the problem I would guess there is something more serious with the motherboard.

9. Dark_Master_Dragon

Dark_Master_Dragon Beware of my lair!!!

Well we can pretend its not a broken/Dead right XD but then agian yeah people arnt that stupid.:wallbash::D