1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Dead Mobo or PSU?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by rem337, 27 Jan 2012.

1. rem337

rem337 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, quick question.

Just received new parts for a build today and put it together:

NZXT Tempest 410 Case
    Core i5 2500k CPU
    Asus R.O.G Maximus IV Gene-Z Motherboard
    G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB RAM
    Asus GTX 560 Ti 1GB GPU
    Corsair HX 650 PSU

I've put everything together and the system wont start, nevermind boot and post. First 2/3 times I started it up, fans would run and the CPU-LED on the Motherboard would light up.

I then realised that I had only put one side of the 8 Pin power connector into the top of the Mobo, simply because it had a cap over 4 pins and not the other. I assumed that because this is an mATX board it only needed the 4 pins. I then removed the cap from the other 4 pins and realised I had EPIC FAILED. But was relieved as I thought this would have solved it. Nope, still showing that CPU_LED.

I tried everything, clearing CMOS, Taking out the CMOS battery etc etc. Turned the system off and came back to it a bit later after doing some research and now it wont start at all, there was also a slight burning smell for a couple of seconds :grr:. Power button does nothing, MemOk!/Go Button does nothing, all the standby LEDs are on as normal.

I'm putting this down to a now dead PSU/Mobo.

Is there anything I can do to find out which without having to test with other hardware? (I dont have any!)

Cheers.

2. rem337

rem337 What's a Dremel?

Update:

Its the Motherboard, tested the PSU in housemates PC and its fine.

Great thing is Amazon are sending me a new one before I have to send the dead one back, yay for them.

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Wow great service from Amazon then, glad you got it sorted.:thumb:

4. rem337

rem337 What's a Dremel?

Update: The CPU was ALSO dead!

Received my replacement Gene-Z this morning, installed it and everything was fine, however still no boot and still showing the CPU_LED as red.

So I smashed it all up.

I didnt, but the CPU is being replaced by Ebuyer who need to have it back for testing before replacing it.

Not having any luck with this build what so ever. :grr: