1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Dead motherboard? (Again)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Raptorkid, 16 Jan 2011.

1. Raptorkid

Raptorkid What's a Dremel?

I've been getting BSoDs more and more frequently over the past week or so, to the point where I couldn't even get into 7's Startup Recovery without my system hanging. The errors I was getting pointed towards GPU drivers, but now I'm not getting any video at all, whether I'm using my GPU or onboard video. I've taken everything out bar RAM and CPU, and have got the motherboard sat on a cork board, to rule out a short between the motherboard and the case. These symptoms are very similar to the last time my motherboard died, in the same system in fact.

Have I overlooked anything, or is this a clear case of a dead motherboard?

P.S. I'm sorry for any spelling errors I've missed, I'm using a 6 year old laptop with a broken keyboard to type out this post.

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Download the ISO of memtest or memtest+, burn it to a CD and boot your PC from it. This will test the RAM and tell you if that is the problem.

Also, can you tell us what CPU, m/b, RAM, PSU and GPU you have?

3. Raptorkid

Ah, sorry, I posted in a bit of a rush. I can't boot into anything at all - there's no video output from my GPU or from the onboard video (Yeah, I did remove my GPU before trying the onboard, and reset the CMOS according to my motherboard's manual.)

CPU: Athlon X2 6000+
    Mobo: Foxconn M61PMV
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix 4GB 800MHz DDR2
    PSU: ThermalTake Toughpower 600w
    GPU: Palit 4670

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Try booting on one stick of ram and as fingers says try running mem test, but test each stick on it's own.

5. Raptorkid

Nope, still no video on either stick, in either slot.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Urgh.. Foxconn.. I'd suggest dead board.

7. Raptorkid

Haha, yeah, I've never liked this board, but I was desperate when I bought it. If it does turn out to be dead -which seems pretty much certain to me - I think I'll spring for a Sandy Bridge system. I just need to find a motherboard that I can use my Titan Fenrir with. Poor timing, as I was going to get a 6850 or 460, but never mind. That can be my mid-year upgrade.

8. Raptorkid

Ah sod it - I'll take the plunge and go for Sandy Bridge. Cheers guys!