1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dead Space 2 - who's pre-ordered?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Pete J, 27 Jan 2011.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

So, Dead Space 2 will be dropping through my letterbox tomorrow if all goes to plan. I've managed to complete the original on insanity last weekend - still scares the poo out of me, even though it was my third playthrough!

I'm both excited and nervous in that I know playing the game will be traumatising - and I'm going to play it on hard! I just hope they haven't screwed it up, Isaac talking has got me worried.

Anyway, time to have a last laugh before I re-enter a terrifying universe:

2. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Have to beat dead space first :D gona do it tonight/ tommorow but I'll be picking it up :D

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Really looking forward to DS2 but not enough to pre-order. Gonna wait for this baby to drop in price. Only like 5 weeks to DA2 (pre-ordered) :D

Also..haha mums have NO idea.

4. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

I'm interested but I wanna wait and see if there's a way to mode the camera view. I prefer a view directly behind, not over the shoulder. Makes me feel funny.

5. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

I'm waiting for a steam sale.

Much fun as i had in the original, i'm not paying £30 for the sequel as the trailers make it look gash!

6. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I'm waiting to see if it will run on XP or if the original spec spotted on Amazon waaay back when it was released for pre-order said it would be Vista & Win 7 only.
    So far I can't find anything to confirm either way so I'll look at the back of the box in the shops today.

7. impar

impar Minimodder

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'll definitely get this, but I'll wait for my birthday in March. LOVE DS! One of the few truly adult games left.

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

IT'S HERE!!!

That's to add to the tension and represent the fact you can't see behind you! I think it's perfect!
    It'll run on XP SP3.
    I'll let you know!

11. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

pre-ordered ds2 with a game stop xmas gift card and got the code for the nail gun and picked it
    up on the 25th. amazing game I love it and scary as the first. Izaac sounds a little weak in the
    knees but him speaking has no affect on the game that I could see and the game looks great on
    my rig averaging about 85 fps by fraps.

12. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

"Not available in your region."

For once a game is released uncut in Germany, and yet Steam does not sell it over here. Why? :(
    Oh well, going to wait for a special when the game is available, not going to make paypal any richer by having to pay 5€ extra for fees and stuff if I have one of you buy the game for me. Just going to have to play the first game again.

Have fun pissing yourself though. I bet the game is awesome.

On a related note: Capcom managed to release this game uncut even in Australia. Why does Valve cut all their games to rainbow land and back?

Last edited: 28 Jan 2011
  13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, I've played the first chapter.

Graphics have been polished and look very nice. Gameplay is almost the same as the original but Isaac can now aim punches rather than just smashing straight ahead, as well as having a repeating stamp attack. The game doesn't seem as scary as the original in terms of overall atmosphere, but compensates by having more intense 'shock' moments - I swear my heart jumped out of my mouth on a few occasions! I don't want to ruin any surprises for anyone, so I'll just say that I'm very impressed so far and think it'll continue to be awesome. A small tip for players: make sure you thoroughly dismember any necromorph you just killed - that way you're sure to get any loot they're holding.

As for previous technical issues:

1) I can remap any keyboard controls but not the middle mouse button!

2) I've forced Vsync through drivers (like I did with the original) and the game works fine, a nice smooth 60FPS.

3) Mouse lag (which in the first game I found was directly related to frame rate) is present in the game menus but not in the actual game.

Things I don't like:

1) Unable to remap middle mouse button. I like to use the middle mouse button to reload weapons in games, unfortunately it's been fixed to secondary fire. Veterans of the first game can still use spacebar for secondary fire.

2) 'Zero G jump' and 'breadcrumbs' are now separate buttons - a silly little thing I know but I constantly press the Ctrl button and wonder why no path is showing! This map be something to do with the new zero G mechanics though - I've yet to try them.

3) Still no proper anti-aliasing - and it still can't be forced through drivers.

14. obbawobba

obbawobba What's a Dremel?

First game was great, and I was tempted by the collector's edition, but like many here, I'm going to wait for it to drop in price a bit.

15. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

As Pete J says it does run on Windows XP SP3, it does say that on the back of the box as well.

And I've just got a query this vsync mouselag that was in the PC version of Dead Space 1 is still there in Dead Space 2 but it shouldn't affect me at all with using an XBOX 360 controller right?

I know it's a dumb question and it probably won't affect me but i'm just wanting to double check.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

It won't be present on consoles. The thing is, I've never experienced this mouse lag in either game (and I know what it's like as I've had it in other games e.g. Hitman: Contracts).

I've made it to chapter four now. Still hugely enjoying it! There are more set pieces now but they really add to the game IMHO.

17. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I've seen bits and pieces of this game on Youtube and I must say I much prefer the visuals in DS2. The first game was dim grey corridor after dim grey corridor with little variation, so I'm glad to see they've worked hard to improve that. The gameplay doesn't seem to be too different though. The weapons are the same and except for a couple of new monsters (mowing down those babies appears to be great fun) the enemies are largely the same as well from what I've seen. I guess the gameplay wasn't really broken in the first place though, as overall it worked pretty well in DS1 (I'm disappointed there still appears to be tons of ammo and health packs again though, it's supposed to be a survival horror game dammit!).

18. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

No no I meant if using an XBOX 360 controller on PC as that's what I'll be playing it on lol, that's why I said it was probably a dumb question because using an XBOX 360 controller on PC it's impossible to get mouselag with a controller right?

19. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I'm considering getting it, though true to form I still haven't finished the first game. Pretty sure I bought it in the 2009 Christmas Sale on Steam.

Yeah, I'm actually ashamed of myself.

20. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Its an amazing game. I urge you to complete it.