1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dead Space or Mass Effect or BioShock

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by dinjo_jo, 4 Feb 2009.

1. dinjo_jo

dinjo_jo What's a Dremel?

I'm in search for a game with a good story line,which one of this is the best in terms of gameplay , graphics , control , longer playing hours.Heard a lot of BioShock also other two.
    Please recommend which one and why ?

2. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Dead Space - Scary as hell and some pretty fresh gameplay (shoot the limbs!), 2/3 evenings play time, good story but not that re-playable (very linear). Great graphics and a pretty nifty physics engine to boot - not bad for an EA in-house job!

Bioshock - 2/3 evenings play time, great story, re-playable at least twice for alternate endings I guess. Graphics are standard UE3 stuff, although the art direction is amazing! As is the music and, in fact, the general atmosphere. Plumbing puzzles to pick locks are rubbish, though.

Mass Effect - Loooong game but good story line and most re-playable as there's a notable difference in gameplay depending on class choice/play style. Graphics are lovely. As some indication of how good it is, both Joe and Harry are addicts.

Best bang for buck? I'd say Dead Space. It was 6 hours or so of adrenaline-filled cheek-clenching terror. With mutant scythe-armed monsters! I honestly can't remember the last time I felt so compelled to carry on playing a game while also so apprehensive about doing so. Especially at 2am with headphones on!

That said, Mass Effect is going to give more longevity than any of the three.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

If you're interested in story, depth an longevity then Mass Effect is the easy choice.

If you want a more action-orientated and fast-paced FPS style game then BioShock is the right one for you.

If you want something actually scary, but awkward on the PC, and with plenty of gore then Dead Space is good for you.

They all have good stories, but other factors vary. I'd recommend Mass Effect though, definitely.

4. dinjo_jo

dinjo_jo What's a Dremel?

How long is the length of game play for each game ?

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Mass Effect is huuuge, around 20hours, IIRC.
    Bioshock is shorter, probably about 8-10 hours if you keep on track - although it does get very, very samey after a while.
    Dead Space is the shortest at around 6-8 hours, I think.

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Mass Effect Cheesecake!

In my opinion Bioshock is an overrated celebration of boredom and repetition.
    Dead Space looked good, showed great promise and hooked me in during the intro. However, as soon as controls were given over to me I lasted a full 3minutes before removing the game and returning it to the shop. Over-the-shoulder perspective sucks and the controls suck - it's a shame considering that the game seems so interesting.

My advice is; go for Mass Effect. You will not regret it.

7. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

I'm pretty certain i suffer from gamer ADHD, in other words i can't sit still and play one game for more then a few hours. Mass Effect had me glued to my controller (bought it on the old xbox 360) and i was there for a good few hours. can say the same about Bioshock, no offense to Dead Space its a great game i just didn't feel as immersed with it as i did with the other 2. so if your willing to spend a good amount of time on a game I'd say Bioshock or mass effect, but then, scary games are not really my thing.

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Dead Space is like playing a game whilst being the knot in the middle of a tug-of-war.

Until you turn off v-sync - then it plays perfectly.

And really is turtle-head-making-ly scary.

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Same here, I think when I first got it I pretty much played it solidly for a week straight, trying to explore every planet and do all the side quests I could find until I finally completed it. Not played it too much since then though, kind of overdosed on it.

10. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

Mass Effect. The main story is alittle short but if you do all the side quests the game gets long quick. Plus its a great story with 6 different classes.

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I've played through Mass Effect and Bioshock on the 360. both were good, I completed both and enjoyed them for what they were but I intend to return to Mass Effect later whereas Bioshock will probably just sit on the shelf.

I Played the demo for Dead Space and I didn't enjoy it - but then I tried to play it as a standard shooter, not realising that you needed to dismember the things attacking you instead of just blasting them (ammo ran out pretty quick). I'll probably re-download the demo at some point and give it another go, remembering to shoot limbs this time.

12. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

Mass effect For the Mother F*ckin' cheesecake! it eats the whole lot and asks for seconds. The best thing about mass effect, are the 6 main characters you interact with, and decide their destinies. I can't say I'd cared about any in game characters until I'd met Wrex. The character development is so insanely good that I'm playing it now for a third time, and it is an utterly different experience. Better than any of it's predecessors, including Deus-Ex. My only wish, is that the game was so amazingly expansive as to give every planet in each system a little back-story.

13. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Not played Dead Space yet, but I have played Mass Effect and Bioshock. I thought Bioshock was incredibly overrated and boring. Mass Effect on the other hand, I loved. Once you get over the "consoley" feel of it and the fairly mediocre combat, the story and expansive universe should suck you in. For me it was like watching a good, really long sci-fi film, only I was playing the lead role and played some part in the deciding how it all ends. Yes there are times when you are simply sitting there watching 2 characters interact in a really long dialogue section and not actually getting to play the game, but I still found it really immersive.

So another vote for Mass Effect from me. :thumb:

14. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

i would agree with most people here, Mass Effect would be your best bet.

i raced through the games main quest with the hope of continuing all the side quests after.... you could but after the main quest you redo the game with your same leveled up character... thats the only downside.

15. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Mass Effect is AMAZING. I play shooters more often than anything else, but a semi-linear RPG with a great story (i.e. KOTOR/etc.) is the holy grail for me. And guess what? Mass Effect is the most detailed, intricate story of any game I've ever played, and combat is FPS-centric. *cue choir of angels*

Two caveats, though.

1) There's basically no tutorial system. Like none. You spend a while building an initial character, then a bit of dialogue, then you're on the ground of a planet fighting for your life. Some tips: learn/remap the keys before starting the game, guns overheat but don't need reloading, and don't expect to build your character or do anything else correctly the first time through, so be prepared to create another character after a couple of hours in.

Oh, and start with a class that has Assault Rifle or Shotgun training - it makes life so much easier when you're not constantly relying on your pistol because it's the only weapon you have that can fire accurately.

2) Make sure you have a lot of free time before you start. I took about 63 hours to finish the whole thing (i.e. all main and side quests), and that was over the course of about two weeks. It's crazy addicting. Make sure you can play it without neglecting the rest of your life like I did. :p

Other than that, go for it and have fun!

Also, @WildThing and @wgy - your avatars are both amazing. :D

- Diosjenin -

16. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

I can't tell you how many times i threw a grenade while attempting to "reload" the first play through. Remap grenades to G straight away :hehe:

17. Diosjenin

SO TRUE. That was the major first mishap with me, too.

"Gotta reload!"
    *throws grenade*
    "Gotta reload!"
    *random explosion somewhere*
    "Gotta reload!"

[repeat until you're out of grenades and are STILL not reloading :D]

Oh, yeah, that's another thing that's easy to miss if you don't look for it. Grenades propel themselves straight out in front of you (i.e. no altitude loss due to gravity) until they hit something (or keep going, if they don't). But even if they hit something, they won't explode. They'll either go off 10 seconds after you throw them or when you hit [whatever button you mapped Grenade to, hopefully G] again. It's a bit annoying at first, but once you learn to set them off at specific times (e.g. proximity mines), they're a lot more fun.

- Diosjenin -

18. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

It is quite addicting. I spent all my time playing through every side quest as a "paragon" and then decided that I would redo the whole game as a "renegade" just to see what changed. I don't regret it though.

19. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I think mass effect would be a better game if it was first person perspective, not over the shoulder.
    Or over the shoulder but let the guy move faster. I hate moving my mouse form one side of the pad to the other and only making a 1/4 turn. If something gets behind you in close quarters it takes too long to turn around.
    Bioshock was a fun game for me, but mass effect is very detailed and will pull you in. It sucks that I work out of town because I get into it and then have to leave and get back into it when I come back.

20. Diosjenin

I believe that's called "mouse sensitivity."

...remote desktop? :D

- Diosjenin -