1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dead Space or Mass Effect or BioShock

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by dinjo_jo, 4 Feb 2009.

1. wafflesomd

wafflesomd New Member

Dead Space controls are fine.

Get Mass Effect and Dead Space. Both are excellent overall.

Bioshock however, is not.

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Whilst Mass Effect is very good, enough of this bashing Bioshock. Whilst it wasn't as deep as it could have been, the second-to-second gameplay is much more fun than Mass Effect's and I personally thoroughly enjoyed it. It's pretty decent at all things: decent story, decent gameplay, decent level design, decent twists, decent scares, decent graphics. Whilst it doesn't necessarilly excel at any one thing (story and character development in Mass Effect, or scares in Dead Space), it doesn't mean at all it's a bad game.

3. blueonblack

blueonblack New Member

I've not played Dead Space as yet, but I've finished the other two twice each. I'll have to go with the majority here and say Mass Effect for sheer addiction, but I also have to throw in my two cents about Bioshock. It had an excellent story, decent graphics and an atmosphere like no other game I've seen. I've played it twice and I'd play it again even if the whole city of Rapture was deserted. The scenery, the lighting, the sounds, all of them were absolutely engrossing to me. For the price, if you are even remotely into games like this you absolutely can't go wrong with it.

4. dinjo_jo

dinjo_jo New Member

Got BioShock for Now

5. Stig

Stig New Member

If you're looking for playtime, its Mass Effect hands down! Good long story, decent ability to replay (different choices, class, playstyle). Have fun!

6. wookieeassassin

wookieeassassin New Member

To ressurect a dead thread, I'd say Mass Effect. It took around 15 hrs to rush through it but the first time I played.through I did everything and it took about 50 hours. Now that ME2 is out, well that took me 73 hours to do everything including the DLCs.

7. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Active Member

Bioshock is the only game I can recall where I got fed up with it about two thirds of the way through and went and played a few other games before coming back to it, it had quite a few good moments and a couple of great moments but there was a bit to much samey samey in places. Not sure how long it will be before I return to Rapture and I'll probably grab the sequel out of the bargain bin.

I though ME was very good, it took a bit of getting used to but I really did get into it and it was quite addictive. I've got the sequel and gave it a quick look see (wow, what a beginning) then get into it when I get some time off over Christmas.

Dead Space I found to be terrific, I played it through again straight after I finished it as I simply had to try out the military rig and boy did it make life easier. Then I read on an on line forum somewhere that the only real way to play it was to crank down the brightness and crank up the difficulty. I tried it and I have to say I felt like I'd been cheating on the first play through, it was sooo much more of a scary experience, especially in a darkened room with surround sound headphones.

So ME for longevity and ongoing storyline, DS for frights, atmosphere and a totally different way of dealing with enemies and B for good moments, a few great moments but a fair bit of tedium as well.

8. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Holy thread revival Patrick!

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Dead Space! I LOVE THAT GAME!

10. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Bioshock is awesome. It has a good story and an awesome atmosphere. As a player you really feel that the artists loved the work they were doing. However the ending really is daft, which probably is the reason why so many people bash the game: They only remember it for the last 20 minutes (which could have been better) and forget about the cool 8-10 hours of gamepay they had before.

However there is Mass Effect 2 now. :)

11. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Loved the Mass Fffect with all the information that the codex provides on the background universe, races, tech & galatic events. Done quite a few replays of that I've easily got a good 80+ hours of gameplaying out of it taking my time and enjoying it.

12. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN I want to change my name but I also don't

Mass Effect, no doubt. The only thing the other two have going for them is art direction.

13. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach New Member

Mass effect is a great game. It is massive, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

Bioshock on the other hand I am finding a bit of a drag to complete. (been playing it for months!). It is kind of repetitive, and I think the regeneration chambers reduce the challenge.