1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Dead Space

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by benjamyn, 23 Oct 2008.

1. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

Dead Space
    Publisher: EA
    Platforms: Xbox 360, PS3, PC
    Genre: 3rd person sci-fi survival horror
    Players: 1
    release date: 24th October 2008

Dead space is EA's new survival horror IP where you take control of engineer Isaac Clarke as he explores and attempts to escape the deep space mining ship.

Firstly how does it play?
    Well the controls remind me most of Resident evil 4 with the addition of strafing. For those who've not played RE4 basically you turn then go forward and hold down a button to run or just the analogue stick to walk. They are a bit better and less tank-like than RE4's controls though. Hold down LT to aim and press RT to shoot, LT and A to reload etc.
    It also has several inspirations from bioshock such as witnessing terrifying events infront of you, audio diaries, lots of items to pick up.
    It also has med packs as opposed to regenerative health. As well as oxygen tanks for rooms that have been torn open and turned into a vacuum.

I'm currently playing through medium level, the game is seperated by chapters which are accessed via a tram system to different areas of the ship.
    It has a very great atmosphere to it with the various sounds of monsters running around in the vents, occasional whispers, lights out etc which at times really builds up the tension or suspense :) another thing is the sound, just like bioshock it's bloody brilliant, the clanging of falling metal objects, the stamping of your guys boots down an empty corridor etc

The shooting is well handled, you can't just pump the enemies full of lead (or in this case plasma). Part of their marketing has been shouting "strategic dismemberment" and basically in game you have to remove their limbs, two on medium might be less or more on different difficulties. This sounds tricky with a gun but it's actually made simpler as most weapons have three lasers coming out of them and fire in a sort of line (which can often be rotated too as every gun has a secondary fire)
    Like Bioshock it also has shops for buying items, credits are picked up in the game from enemies and storage objects to spend at stores. Also you can upgrade almost everything including your suit, weapons and enhancement modules (stasis - slows down objects/enemies, kinesis for moving objects etc) at the cost of power nodes found throughout the adventure.

One thing I really love about this game is that it has no HUD. Your health, stasis energy are fully incorporated into the back of your suit in a very befitting way that saves cluttering the screen. Ammo is displayed on the weapons when you ready them to aim. Having no HUD definately adds to the immersion.

It's almost like bioshock meets resident evil 4... IN SPACE :clap:

Last edited: 25 Oct 2008
  2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

For those who are, like I usually am, too lazy to tab over to google and investigate a title (because c'mon...the original post should've linked and explained, dammit!:)):
    PCG review

3. benjamyn

Updated first post with much more info :)

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Or indeed too lazy to visit the front page of bit :p
    Bit-tech's review

5. charlesbeams

charlesbeams TRANCEFORMer

probably going to get this tomorrow, trade in the terrible Pro Evo 2009 for it

6. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I got this yesterday.
    Lights down, 5.1 up. It's the only way to play (and scare the crap outa yourself)

7. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

My mouse is lagging horribly. Almost too bad to play. When I move it there is a half second delay.

8. benjamyn

Like RE4 this game seems to have been designed with consoles/game controllers in mind, not sure I'd want to play this or RE4 on pc ever tbh.

9. will.

Fixed it, just had to turn off V-Sync which as it turns out wasn't needed anyway. I'm not noticing any extra tearing.
    It's a really great game. Far better than far cry 2 which will be taking a back seat until I'm done scaring the crap outa myself. The graphics are awesome, although the textures on Isaac could do with a resolution boost. But Like mentioned in Joe's Review, it's the audio that makes the game. It's absolutely awesome. The vacuum areas are brilliant.

Also, Unitoligy? What's going on here? I read something on Kotaku about the game having religious themes. But if they are referring to the group I think they are, the word cult would be more appropriate :p

Last edited: 26 Oct 2008
  10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

So - if this a PC or 360 game? Because RE4 was 110% GC, but normally I wouldn't resort to a shooter on a console.

Also - I tried watching the "movie" today that accompanies this. Terrible! Piss poor animation, half assed voice acting and just ..bleh gave up after about 45 mins.

11. will.

I'd say, it's definitely got it's roots on the consoles. Mainly because the controls are pretty badly thought out.
    They should have taken a hint from Crysis on how to manage the HUD. Moving around the inventory with the arrow keys or holding the middle mouse and jerking it left and right (a quick swipe to the right is like hitting the right on the cursor keys) is a complete pain. Definitely makes for some tense moments though.
    But if you can get past them there is no reason not to go for it on the PC. If only for the better graphics.

12. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I would say more like Doom3 meet RE4.

13. Noob4ever

Noob4ever always learning

Well I must say, it was decent, but I just failed to be impressed in any real way by this game, the piss poor movement controls are what got to me, and ya for the first 30-40 minutes it was scary, and then it just became repetitive, oooooooooohhhhhhhhh a monsters coming out of the wall for the three thousandth time, oooooooohhhhhhh scary.
    It seems to rely more on the shock factor of a monster suddenly appearing and bum rushing ya like a sprinter on crack than any real scare factor, after the first hour or so the only thing that really had me take a second look was one of the mobs near the end, just because It had some style as opposed to the rest of just monstrosity thingies.(im talking about the thing with the cloak for those who've played)

and now for some spoiler discussion, so if you havent played, dont read this next bit.
    So I've just finished the game, and Isaac looks over and see's nicole again, Now in my opinion the insanity affecting the colonists, ship people, and isaac originate from the marker, not the necromorph thingy, mainly because nicole was wanting to put the marker back together, which of course would seal up the necromorph again, ie the marker seems to have developed intelligence of its own in the time since the earth government created it. So when we got the nice delusion popping up crouched behind the seat of the shuttle, I'm thinking the marker has become somewhat pissed and have a rock the size of new york dropped on his/her/it's head, and if they ever make a sequel, it should be with the marker becoming the new problem, not the necromorph, though of course it will be the necromorph that makes it to the sequel :D

anyway, any opinions? lemme know
    spoiler end point

Anyway, a slightly interesting story to the game, not something I'd buy new though if I had a second chance, I'd rather have waited a few months till it was down to like 20 bucks, but oh well.

14. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

it reminds me of splinter cell for some reason....excellent game since ..hmm i can't remember. And honestly I dislike those type of horror-alien games...but this one i love

15. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

The controls turn me off. Its still fun, but i've only played for an hour or two. still. why cant I turn while running?

16. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I haven't played much of this yet (finished the first chapter last night) but I'm really enjoying it so far. Thought it was a bit like RE4 in space at first, but it's pretty cool. Playing on PC but I'm using an Xbox 360 controller cos mouse lag is terrible.