1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Deal on 256GB Samsung SSD, worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Big-_-t0ny, 12 Oct 2012.

1. Big-_-t0ny

Big-_-t0ny What's a Dremel?

Alright guys so Novatech have the 256GB 830 for £140. http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...al/solidstate/128gbandabove/mz-7pc256bww.html

Now I am a gamer, so most of the space on my HDD is taken up by games...It's just that it seems slow...I've never used or had an SSD before so I was wondering if the lower storage space is a fair enough trade off for the amazing speeds? I know I wont have to install every game I have at once so it's fine by me. Basicly...I'm thinking of grabbing an SSD, would it be worth it?

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Very simple answer.

YES!

:D :D

I've got the same drive, and it's great. BF3 loading times are nearly non-existant.

3. Big-_-t0ny

Big-_-t0ny What's a Dremel?

4. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Samsung where doing a cash back offer on these drives recently, which may still be going?

There is a thread somewhere...

*EDIT* I beg you pardon the offer is now closed. It sure is a nice SSD though.

Be aware that the Samsung basic kit you linked does not have the bracket, cables and software that you get in the full desktop kit. Obviously this wont bother most people but it is worth knowing.

5. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

6. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

7. wilkinson001

wilkinson001 What's a Dremel?

8. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Well worth it. Great drives, and that's a great price. Do it :)

10. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

I actually don't think it's worth it. The performance upgrade I got from my SSD wasn't worth the price. You can get a really good 2nd hand GPU for that kind of money. The only major benefit I noticed was it took less time to load maps in BF3. My system boot is still quite slow and in general use the difference isn't massive. 256gb will fill up quickly and it's annoying having to constantly delete/move things around.

11. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Wow really? Have you set your motherboard boot up correctly? Boot and load times on my 256GB M4 are great, and my desktop feels ( yes this is subjective) very responsive, compared to going back to a HDD system.

12. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Yeah, sure. Except in case of HDD->SSD switch you feel a little improvements here and there, but you will feel like you started using a decade old computer when you will have to use a HDD instead of the SSD.

14. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

Maybe it's just one of those things that I wouldn't notice unless I had to go back, but I wasn't all that impressed by my SSD upgrade. I'm pretty sure my boot is configured correctly. Don't know what could be wrong there. It just doesn't seem super fast like I expected. I was hoping to be able to boot in around 10 seconds, but it usually takes around 25 IIRC.

15. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

If your POST takes 10-15 seconds, there is nothing SSD can do.

16. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

SSD's aint just for fast boots, its the overall responsiveness of the system.

17. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

Fair enough, but you hear people make these claims about fast boots with SSDs, but they never talk about all the extra stuff you have to do with your mobo, etc to achieve these speeds.

That said, I did notice that my computer became responsive much quicker after boot than when I was using just HDD (but that could be down to CPU, ram upgrades, etc).

18. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

You need a board with UEFI. No need for any specific settings.

Having Windows 8 instead of 7 will also shave off a few seconds from boot time.

19. suragh

suragh Derp

20. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Regarding SSD Boot time, I assume that it is connected to a Sata 3 connection on your motherboard.

I feel the difference in everything I use my desktop for. SSD is the way forward.

Coincidently I just put my 120gb SSD into my laptop. I now no longer have time to make myself a cup of tea as it boots so fast. Even on a Sata 2 connection.