1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Death Knell Sounds for Nullsoft, Winamp

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dad, 11 Nov 2004.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

From BetaNews:

The last members of the original Winamp team have said goodbye to AOL and the door has all but shut on the Nullsoft era, BetaNews has learned.

Only a few employees remain to prop up the once-ubiquitous digital audio player with minor updates, but no further improvements to Winamp are expected.

Winamp's abandonment comes as no surprise to those close to the company who say the software has been on life support since the resignation of Nullsoft founder and Winamp creator Justin Frankel last January.

The marriage of Nullsoft and AOL was always one of discontent. After AOL acquired the small company in 1999 for around $100 million, the young team of Winamp developers was assimilated into a strict corporate culture that begged for rebellion. Although Nullsoft was initially given a long leash by AOL, It wasn't long until the two ideologies collided.

Frankel and his team were accustomed to simply brainstorming ideas over coffee and bringing them to the masses without approval. So when Frankel and fellow Nullsoft developer Tom Pepper devised a decentralized peer-to-peer file sharing system, dubbed Gnutella, parent AOL was left in the dark.

The rest is here

WinAmp... dead???

2. sheardjr

sheardjr Minimodder

Last edited: 10 Feb 2013
  3. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

:jawdrop: :waah: :jawdrop: :waah: :jawdrop: :waah: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: *looks at WA5 on coverdisk*

- H.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

It's a shame really, but as I've been using 2.93 I'm not worried about updates really. Glad to know the team got a fortune out of AOL... even if it was AOL.

5. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Bleh, there are plenty of better, open source alternatives around.

6. quack

quack Minimodder

Terrible news, I've been a fan of Winamp since the early 1.x days, but I guess that's what happens when you get into bed with an evil corporation like AOL.

I just hope Justin Frankel is doing something worthwhile with his time since he quit in January... creating new P2P protocols maybe? :D

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Atrack! ATRACK!!

8. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

First Sonique, now WinAmp ? :(

9. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

That really sucks the lama's a$$! No more whipping the a$$.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

There are, but it's proof that small companies aren't lasting as long as they should do, a pinnacle like Nullsoft, the creators of a pretty-damn widespread media player are gone...

11. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I've been using winamp for years and years now (since 2.0 something). It's been one of the most stable and excellent programs. Shame it's no longer being updated but around the 2.8 mark it reached perfection in my eyes. Ver 3 and 5 haven't really added anything new. Ah well thanks Nullsoft.

12. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

I am not crying :worried: There is just something in my eyes :waah:

RIP Winamp....

Is there anychance of like a PMANIW coming out created by the old developers? Prbably not, and if they tried it wouldent be as good, because I assume AOL ownes the codding aswell as the name :wallbash:

13. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

It's sad but bound to happen when big corp takes over little innovator. I moved away after 2.xx since ver 3 was too much of a resource hog for my old puter, as acrimonious said there are plenty more fish inthe sea.

14. theflinger

theflinger What's a Dremel?

dissapointing, but let's face it, winamp was going in the wrong direction.

I use Foobar2000, but thats besides the point.

I hope the original developers can do for another area of software what they did for audio :thumb:

15. wharrad

wharrad What's a Dremel?

Ach, it's a sad day.... but on the other hand...

All the old developers are out of group, so maybe they'll get together and do something new/better and all that.

Although let's hope AOL don't sue them - I'm guessing their original contract would stop them doing anything music wise for awhile, and y'know what these larger companies are like with court actions..... It's my guess their legal departments are too big and get bored.

16. penski

penski BodMod

I've been using 2.81 since it came out...been a WinAmp user since 1.x days.

3 was abhorable...never tried 5.

It handles everything I throw at it from strange codecs to 50k track and above playlists.

:(

*n

17. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

:eeek:

18. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

penski u listen to some long winded stuff. i stopped using winamp soon after 3 came out, it just didnt work for me. sure the skins were nice but it hogged way too much (not at all like AOL does :D ). i went onto foobar and now i use media player (please dont kill me :worried: ). it does all i need and its not too irratating, its starting to annoy like IE did before i changed to firefox :D

19. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

So long as I have a version that runs Milkdrop, I'm happy!
    ;)

Sorry to see them fall, glad they were able to pull a few $$$ from the AOL coffeurs.

:blah:

20. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

surely he listens to lots of very short tracks?

---

winamp has never been a noticeable resource hog, and it's always been so stable.
    Are there any alternatives which can display my AVS?
    [PS - WMP must die.]

Tags: Add Tags