1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Decaying Cactus - Possible POTM

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Hwulex, 5 Nov 2007.

1. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Been the domestic goddess today mowing the lawn, clearing out flower beds, all that guff. During it all I remembered about my poor cactus that I apparently killed over the last month by overwatering, and though I'd take some snaps with the POTM in mind.

The first shot may end up being one of my entries depending on what else I come up with over the coming weeks.

All taken with 20D + 24-70L + Kenko Extension tubes, in varying arrangements.

#1 - Porcupine Graveyard
    [​IMG]
    Background of decaying cactus more obvious in large version
    Minimal PS work: Just levels and colour balance, I think.

#2 - Killing Fields
    [​IMG]
    I love the rings you can see in the spikes in this shot.
    Colours achieved through levels layer in PS:CS3

#3 - Snail Invasion!
    [​IMG]
    This shot on review just made me think of droves of snails coming for the camera, tentacles everywhere!
    Monochrome conversion with high-contrast blue filter applied in PS channel mixer

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

The decaying cactus is slightly visible in the first one, but I don't feel like the other two really show decay. I get a sense of violence, or anxiety, but not decay.

Good shots, though. The colors in #2 seem so unreal, and the visible rings are just cool.

-monkey

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Seconded - I really like #2 in particular, but only #1 really would fit the theme (and I wouldn't have even noticed how it did if you hadn't said, TBH).

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I agree to be honest, you can see a gooey kind of background on the first, but the spikes create too much "cover" for it, like the Cactus is protecting itself as it dies. Which isn't really portrayed immediately, it's more thinking of it based on the other two shots being about violence.

It could also be attacking untill it's dead rather then protecting it's dying moments.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I love the 1st one...

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I've been meaning to get some kenko tubes for ages, really want to do some crazy greater than 1:1 macro with my Sigma 150.

Back on topic. The shots #1 and #2 are really great, however I don't really see the link to this months theme.

7. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Sorry I think we've got mixed up; only the first image is a possible for POTM, the second two are just images from the same shoot. Probably should've been more clear on that.

Thanks for the comments, though. :)

Jamie; the Kenkos are awesome. DOF is insane, though, and hard to work with. If I'm over your way (might be for mtb at some point) you could have a play before buying.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2007
  8. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I love both images 1 and 2. 1 has that rustic effect, and 2 has that sureal effect.
    Awesome to sum them up.

Sam

9. OleJ

OleJ Me!

The 2nd one is really beautiful :) Great color contrast.

#1 & #3 don't really ring my bell though. I can't see the decay in them and am lacking some sort of focus or story.

10. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I like the idea, and I can see what you are getting at, but I think it maybe too difficult to see the decaying cactus beneath the spines. For me I don't look at it and immediately think "wow, great take on the theme", it's more like "nice shot of a cactus", possibly a shot of the entire cactus head but not so close?

Tags: