1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM December POTM Theme - Red

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Guest-16, 2 Dec 2007.

1. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I guess as the exception that confirms the rule it could be acceptable.

But I think it's unanimous that the POTM site needs a fixin' ASAP. Having it rely on a single guy who doesn't have the time to change a few DB parameters is just way out.
    As I was told last month this is just a "little friendly compo" but I would never behave this way towards my friends when they've put a lot of effort into creating something towards a deadline. That in my book is just downright rude and inconsiderate. Even if unintentional.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I appreciate your sentiment but it's not like we haven't been looking for alternatives for months behind the scenes. It is also a very niche part of our site and those who work here have a more fundamental job to do. If any one else has a better idea that's easy to implement - I'd gladly hear it.

The whole point of the "competition" was to get feedback on photos and to generate the social aspect. Nath has put a load of time into it and continues to remind me on the 25th of each month - the one month he has "off", over Christmas and New Year no less, you throw your toys out the pram. Now who's rude and inconsiderate?

We could quite easily just knock this all on the head, after all, if we were to look at it purely on the effort:revenue (site hits) ratio it's very much one sided.

3. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

It really doesn't matter to me either way. We can end the December competition now, or we can roll it into January. I'll go along with whichever one is easiest.

-monkey

4. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I'm sorry but I don't understand? Toys, pram?
    I'm not going ballistic if that's what you're hinting at. I'm just trying to illuminate the experience from a user side. I'm not calling anyone a lazy *****... I'll help any way possible. Hell I'll even program a whole new POTM site if that's what you want. It will take me at least three weeks though as my coding skills are pretty basic.
    I find it odd that you seem to take offense just by the mention of how it feels as a contributing user.
    It looks more and more to me like I should just bugger off and find another photography forum which I'd really rather not since I very much like bit-tech and the forums.
    And stop thinking that I'm ungrateful. I am not! Okay?
    I'm not trying to be rude and inconsiderate and yes I fully agree that neither are you and Nath I'm just illuminating the experience on this side of things as there are no announcements concerning the development of the potm site and we don't even hear from Nath. Which is a shame cause I both really like his pictures and would love to hear what's up with the site and eventually help if possible.

5. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

Could take a few good pictures of the other half, as it's her turn of the month. Don't think those kind of "red" pictures would be what you are looking for though..

6. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I can't say I agree with OleJ, but I do admit that I feel a bit 'let down' by the POTM. I was hoping December would close and a new theme would start up for January. If there have not been much entries, then this is not the way to motivate those who did take the time/effort to make an entry.

I'm not going to be a ass about it, I'm very thankfull we have the POTM and our photography subforum, not to mention the Prices. Afterall photography is not really a part of Bit-Tech in general. But I do feel it's a basic requirement for a POTM-competition that we have one each month.. else it's not really a Picture Of The Month anymore ;) .

Just my 2p. But I'll just have to wait till february for the new theme then.

L

7. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Me too... I know Nath has been busy. He's got a good site put together thus far though. And he has put a lot of time and effort into the page.

Though, considering I have access to some colo I may just stuff a server up. I don't mind doing hosting and have a few select people with admin rights to keep an eye on the web and maybe the backend of the actual OS itself. If Nath and / or Bindi and others involved want, I can certainly do that. I just need to grab a case. Maybe, if I can knab a couple scsi drives too, otherwise I'll just use a couple 120gb IDEs in raid 1.

Since I'm getting new glass (hopefully on Monday, if it's in stock), I'm eager to go out and shoot some stuff. I'm saddened that I haven't noticed a theme for this month yet...

8. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

As I can understand about being busy, I can see letting this slide on the POTM site until the end of January. However, I was thinking that supermonkey should pick a theme for January. Personally I love having the theme each month and I am sure that others agree with me. We would not have the formal submissions, but just a theme to play with. Then he can pick again with the site gets sorted out for February. Also, what if we got a team of three or four people comfortable with coding and administering the POTM site to relieve Nath a little. There is only so much one person can do and its not fair to him OR the users.

9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I have a theme in mind, but I'm waiting for the PotM moderators to determine how the December/January thing will be sorted.

-monkey

10. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I recommend that we take Nath out back for a walk. ;)

11. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

I'm not an ill old dog thank you very much. [​IMG]

Hi OleJ, I realise you're frustrated at the lack of strict deadlines on the competition, but this month really has just been quite awkward. Despite being quite dedicated (ok, ish) to the POTM, I completely forgot about bit-tech in general at Christmas, so it just stagnated. Unacceptable, maybe, unavoidable, not really.

Whatever people want to do about January's roll-over/non-roll-over is fine with me, and I'm sure if Bindi wants to get in touch we can organise something appropriate if I'm required. I really can't apologise enough in terms of the delays behind getting the PotM site sorted, it's just not been a particularly high priority recently. Sorry all.

:(

12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

No need to apologize, Nath. Considering this is an entirely voluntary effort on your part, I can understand if and when real life gets in the way. I have a list of things to do myself, with seemingly less and less time to get it all done.

Thanks for the effort that you do put in!

-monkey

13. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Indeed no need to apologize, you are doing this voluntary and every second you have spent on this is one we need to thank you for, not comment on. As I tried to make clear before, I'm very grateful that we have our little potm-competition. If there is no new January competition, then so be it. It's not like I have that much free time that I need the competition :p. December was busy for me as well.. I shot my entry while waiting in the airport and did a full 2 minutes post-processing. So I fully understand if real life got in the way.. it was the holiday season after all.

Anyway, I hope my previous post wasn't too rude, if so please excuse.

Cheers for the POTM team!

14. Cuban

Cuban What's a Dremel?

I'd like to echo what has been said above, I think Nath has been doing a great job and giving up his free time to run the POTM for us.

Thank you Nath and everyone else involved with running the POTM.

15. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Hey Nath,
    Good to hear from you... I really just meant that shooting you bit for not being on IRC lately. You know, for old IRC times sake. You should come around once in a while. ;)
    Anyways, If we get something sorted where multiple people are able to admin the potm site (and maybe the forums), then events such as this will be minimalized and possibly eliminated all together.

Anyways, I'm heading out to buy a nice shiny new 70-200 F4/L IS in a bit. Maybe a second battery too.

EDIT: Oh, and Nath, we all love you. Some of us in more ways than one.... but we'll leave that for some other late night discussion. :blush:

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Right, we are ending this early on the 23rd to get it done and dusted - ready to start next month's early.

If you haven't already submitted for December and Jan into the POTM site, do so because voting starts on 23rd GMT.

17. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Good news. Good news.

18. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Woop woop, voting open. :thumb:

19. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Nath lives :clap:

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Voted! :D

Tags: