1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Decent dual sim phone for travelling abroad - what are my options in UK?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chunkers, 10 Oct 2014.

1. Chunkers

Chunkers Meat Popsicle

Hi,

I am looking for some ideas on Dual Sim phones.

I currently have a Samsung S4 (on Vodafone) in the UK provided by my company, I will be cancelling this contract having taken up a new role involving working in an African country for about half the time. I have been issued with a local sim (and really crappy phone) at my African office and will transfer my current UK number, for use when back in UK, onto a personal contract of some kind (haven't decided what).

So, in a nutshell I seem like an ideal candidate for a dual sim phone with my work sim for use when I am in Africa but still be able to receive calls on my personal UK number and vice versa when in the UK.

I am looking for an unlocked, dual sim Android phone which supports 4G with similar or better performance then my S4. I would like a 5" screen but with reasonably compact dimensions i.e. pref. not heavy with big bezels

I have done a lot of googling and it seems like most of the dual sim phones are not available in the UK this is frustrating because the Indian and Chinese markets seems to be flooded with them.

My main (only?) option for a dual sim Android seems to be the Motorola Moto G, whilst this is a good phone it seems like a downgrade from my S4 in terms of performance and also lacks 4G. I am worried that the Moto G is going to be bulkier than my current S4 and feel sluggish.

Could anyone suggest any further options?

I would be prepared to buy an imported phone if it ticked all the boxes and was from a reputable supplier, I have looked at the Xiaomi (Mi4?) and Huawei (Moto 6?) offerings and some of them look quite tempting.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Chunks

2. Chunkers

Chunkers Meat Popsicle

Just to close this out I have decided that the ZTE Nubia z7 mini ticks all the boxes, all I have to do now is find a reputable seller that will deliver in or to UK as it is not available afaik.

Chunks

3. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Only the moto g is sold in the uk rest are import jobs and with phones it's a risk not worth taking.

4. Chunkers

Chunkers Meat Popsicle

Thanks for the reply, you are probably right. It's so annoying that the operators work so hard to prevent dual sim phones from reaching the UK market.
    I may just end up taking the risk anyway, there aren't many decent midpriced options and I have fallen out of love with Samsung - the build quality is just not there compared to the other premium phones.
    Appreciate your post as it gas made me think.
    Chunks

5. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

If 4G is a make or break option for you, do not touch anything not officially sold in the UK.
    In other words, unless you source your imported phone from the same country as a friend of yours who can tell you if 4G works here it is a 100% gamble.

That said, there is one mostly reputable shop mobicity.co.uk that sells dual sim versions of various phones, even decent ones like the Z3 or G3.

6. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

From real, first hand experience (SW Asia/Africa/US/EU) I can tell you there isn't one. Get an unlocked phone and just switch sim cards when you land. Use wifi and skype or something like it for family stuff.

Dual sim phones are all dodgy.

7. Gaming_freak_10

Gaming_freak_10 Active Member

I have the Acer Liquid Z5.. Single Sim model.. it's pretty decent.. I agree with the other forumites that Dual Sim Phones are kinda hard to find these days...

If I recall, I paid $200 CAD for this phone before taxes.. And I bought a 1 Year replacement plan in case if I drop/break the phone by accident.

Said phone is unlocked.. so that's a big plus in case if I want to travel.. but for now, it works just fine.

8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

My father has a Lenovo dual-SIM android job (he has never used the dual SIM feature - the 'phone came with it...) - I can get the model number from him if you like? I believe he bought it from banggood.com

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Don't LG do some dual sim phones? Might be worth a look.